All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:37 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finecast defects
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think it's perfectly reasonable of OMW to share his knowledge about the casting process - I for one have found it really interesting to read :)

I didn't get the impression from the quoted post that he was talking down either - but I haven't read further back so I could be wrong.

Thanks for the heads up! I doubt I'll be buying any finecast any time soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I think it's perfectly reasonable of OMW to share his knowledge about the casting process - I for one have found it really interesting to read :)

Agreed.

I have the FC troll chieftain (with metal arm) and he is still standing tall. I reckon it's because he has hench ankles unlike the skinny runt dweller thing. I try to keep him stored away out of the UK heat :x so hopefully so last a little while longer.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

SouthernDunedain wrote:
UK heat

U.K Heat? :lol: I don't think I've ever experienced that yet :P

I too agree that Oldman Willows input into the topic is most valuable to us people who don't know anything about resin. I thought a resin was something you ate in a cake ... or is that a raisen? anyway play nice people lets not get into arguements over what should and shouldn't be allowed in the thread. Carry on posting your experiences with finecast in the thread but lets not jump on people for discussing the subject and cause and effects in detail.

@Oldman Willow - By all means contribute to the thread but be mindful of how your words are being interpreted by others. It is quite easy to see why Draugluin felt you were talking down to him.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

However, it has no bearing on the subject. It's completely different to share one's knowledge on a subject and to completely disregard the point of the thread. Him saying no and then saying "The problem with the finecast casting material was well know before you were born Draugluin" (singling me out and mentioning the fact that I was born after resin came out) is what I would consider talking down to.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
SouthernDunedain wrote:
UK heat

I too agree that Oldman Willows input into the topic is most valuable to us people who don't know anything about resin. I thought a resin was something you ate in a cake ... or is that a raisen? anyway play nice people lets not get into arguements over what should and shouldn't be allowed in the thread. Carry on posting your experiences with finecast in the thread but lets not jump on people for discussing the subject and cause and effects in detail.

It was mid 20's down south today, quite nice to be able to work without a jumper for once. Anyway, back on topic. Draugluin, I'm sure OMW didnt mean to single you out in that aspect. We were all born after resin came out so it applies to us all, you were just the one he was talking and making a point to.

Back on the finecast front, who wants to see the difference between metal mounted boromir and FC metal boromir?

Look how straight the metal banner is...and it feels worth something.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
SouthernDunedain wrote:
UK heat

It was mid 20's down south today, quite nice to be able to work without a jumper for once. Anyway, back on topic. Draugluin, I'm sure OMW didnt mean to single you out in that aspect. We were all born after resin came out so it applies to us all, you were just the one he was talking and making a point to. .

I live up north, and it doesn't get hot enough to melt your FC models here, like down south or in the US, and the only defects I've had have been the universally aclaimed Great Beast. If it wasn't for the hammer conversion, and the fact that its only undercoated, my metal and FC Troll Chiefs look identical. Literally.

I'm sure some people are just luckier than others.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:50 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Draugluin
Quote:
completely disregard the point of the thread

Ok I will make my point again. All of the Finecast products are defective! I am not disregarding the point of the thread. I am disagreeing with you and your entire premise.

Quote:
Draugluin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:30 pm
Ok, stop posting what you think about resin v metal,

You have not even made an attempt to discuss anything. You just ordered me not to post.
Draugluin The answer is no.

Quote:
SouthernDunedain wrote
@Oldman Willow - By all means contribute to the thread but be mindful of how your words are being interpreted by others. It is quite easy to see why Draugluin felt you were talking down to him.

I will make more of an effort.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:17 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

And I will make my point again (because you seem to either not get it or are just ignoring me), this thread isn't about the problems with the material itself, it's about the specific minis. Like how a Dweller will bend because it has thin legs, but a troll chieftain won't because they're stubby. I didn't make this to discuss FC, I made it to help people decide whether it's worth buying a mini.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
And I will make my point again (because you seem to either not get it or are just ignoring me), this thread isn't about the problems with the material itself, it's about the specific minis. Like how a Dweller will bend because it has thin legs, but a troll chieftain won't because they're stubby. I didn't make this to discuss FC, I made it to help people decide whether it's worth buying a mini.

But Oldman Willow's point DOES relate to this. He's saying that it's not worth buying ANY Finecast mini because the material itself isn't as sturdy or dependable. You minis may be fine today or tomorrow, but down the road they will deteriorate where the plastic or metal ones won't. SO yeah, I'd say OMW's posts will help many people.

Also I'll point out that this is the internet. Topics and conversations change and evolve as new and different perspectives and information are thrown into the mix. It's frankly futile to think you can steer the conversation towards or away from one thing or another. People will talk about what they want to talk about, and as long as it's relatively on-topic and not offending anyone there's no reason to try and stop them.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:24 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
because you seem to either not get it or are just ignoring me),

You need to stop being rude, insulting and provocative! I get it and I told you I do not agree. No. I am not going to stop posting. :-X

Quote:
I didn't make this to discuss FC, I made it to help people decide whether it's worth buying a mini.

Well that is easy. None of them are worth buying. I have already taken the time to explain why.
I will try one more time. The material is as dangerous as lead. It will warp over time. It will dry out and fall apart over time. All of it is defective. So which model also has a casting defect is pointless in the extreme.
From this point I am going to ignore you :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:43 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great - so can we agree to disagree then you two? It would be shame to lock this thread!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok, to keep on topic.....i ordered three clamshell blisters of finecast guards of the galadhrim court. The ones holding their pikes with two hands are mostly ok, only small bubbles. Every one holding a pike with one hand have air bubbles below their arm, ranging from small to large, the same ones lalso have defects on their hand(s). Overall pretty bad. Also purchased the last great beast at my flgs, opened it in store with the staff and was surprised that it fit together easily once the flash was removed. The orcs were also cast very well, i will look at it closer later but for now it seems to have turned out very well.

However, i also had the raised sword on my rohan banner from the command box bend while being stored in a GW case that was in my trunk. Once i find my sd card i will post a pic of it. Pretty [word deleted] off, it is nearly at a ninety degree angle and it was already painted and based. :-X

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:32 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Jobu wrote:
Ok, to keep on topic.....i ordered three clamshell blisters of finecast guards of the galadhrim court. The ones holding their pikes with two hands are mostly ok, only small bubbles. Every one holding a pike with one hand have air bubbles below their arm, ranging from small to large, the same ones lalso have defects on their hand(s). Overall pretty bad.

That's disheartening, but in all honesty not that surprising. I'd considered purchasing some of the Galadhrim Guard but missed the opportunity to buy the metals :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:38 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

KnightyKnight wrote:
Jobu wrote:
Ok, to keep on topic.....i ordered three clamshell blisters of finecast guards of the galadhrim court. The ones holding their pikes with two hands are mostly ok, only small bubbles. Every one holding a pike with one hand have air bubbles below their arm, ranging from small to large, the same ones lalso have defects on their hand(s). Overall pretty bad.

That's disheartening, but in all honesty not that surprising. I'd considered purchasing some of the Galadhrim Guard but missed the opportunity to buy the metals :(

Ditto!

I'm struggling to choose what armies to build right now, and it's a shame but the main hurdle is finecast. I really don't want to invest my money into it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok, here are the pics, this was stored in a 3 inch deep foam tray that had a 2 1/4 x 1 1/4 plucked space specifically for this mini. This mini could stand upright in the tray and had a piece of the plucked foam next to it to keep it from jostling around. The sword was not like this when it was placed into the tray. The tray was inside a GW army figure case, which in turn was in the trunk of my car. The temperature was in the mid 90 F during the day.

Edit:
Here is the email I sent to GW
Here is the background:this was stored in a 3 inch deep foam tray that
had a 2 1/4 x 1 1/4 plucked space specifically for this mini. This
mini could stand upright in the tray and had a piece of the plucked
foam next to it to keep it from jostling around. The sword was not
like this when it was placed into the tray. The tray was inside a GW
army figure case, which in turn was in the trunk of my car. The
temperature was in the mid 90 F during the day. This miniature had
been stored in this tray at other times without this problem. This
miniature had not been inside a car on a hot day previous to this.

Overall I have purchased well over $300 in just finecast products from
my local games store or directly from Games Workshop. Well over 50%
of those models have had serious defects, including but not limited
to: surface air bubbles greater than 1mm, structural defects relating
to alignment or the elements vector(i.e. is the piece straight when it
is supposed to be), sub surface air bubbles which effect the
miniatures integrity or it's ability to be manipulated and miscasts
(material did not enter that part of the mold).

I appreciate the artist efforts at Games Workshop to create very high
quality and attractive models, however I am nothing short of irritated
at this new casting material.

I find it difficult to relay my disappointment in this material.
While I do find this material easier to manipulate and stand on a
gaming table, I do not find any greater level of detail nor is the
quality control of this material anywhere near where it should be. I
can accommodate minor issues with the release of a new material, but
these issues have not improved over the course of the life of
finecast.

A very disappointed and disenchanted customer

Last edited by Jobu on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oh dear...Heat 1 - Finecast + GW 0.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

:yay: Well done for actually writing to complain Jobu rather than just moaning about it on forum boards like the majority of us. It is only when we all do the same that we will see a difference emerge from Games Workshop.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I just sent them an e-mail saying that friend's experiences with finecast have put me off spending money at GW.

Y'all should do the same.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I just sent them an e-mail saying that friend's experiences with finecast have put me off spending money at GW.

Still hasn't put me off GW, as I've had better luck with mine, and it never reaches 300 degrees in the UK, so no problem of melting. And it hasn;t been 40 years yet so that diesn't bother me yet either.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Shieldmaiden wrote:

Still hasn't put me off GW, as I've had better luck with mine, and it never reaches 300 degrees in the UK, so no problem of melting. And it hasn;t been 40 years yet so that diesn't bother me yet either.

I'd rather still have it in 40 years, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next