All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:08 pm

Post subject: Eaothen (dwarves) and Garm (isenguard)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:02 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well managed to get me into another battle. I traveled quite some time for it, Eaothen will know all about that :lol:
We did this 500 point army battle between dwarves and Isenguard.

My army list:
4 orc bows
8 orc spears
8 uruk warrior pikes
8 uruk warrior shields
7 uruk scout bow
1 uruk scout bow+shield
1 vaskru
1 uruk captain with heavy armour and shield
2 warg riders with shield
6 scouts and one got a shield to get to the 500 points.

Here are my guys with wargs standing of screen.
Eothen dwarves:

We started of on a long table so it took a while to get into battle. I retreated a bit at the start to, so i could get like much more volleys from my archers. Unfortunatly the volleys didn't help out alot. The orcs tend to miss alot. After some moving around we came to the following position on the battle field.
I think when my archers couldn't volley anymore and had to go and had to switch to normal fire, they actually hit one or 2 guys. Vaskru did some damage. So i think in the end i shot like at least 3 pesky dwarves. :D On the picture one of the uruks is running to the other side of the phalanx. :-D I tryd to get clean shots with vaskru at all time so i had to turn around a bit. Also preventing that Eothen might go for the flanks. I was thinking about trying to surround him as good as possible. Since there were some enoying figures in his back rows i wanted to get rid of. I had 2 riders that i let the dwarves follow in the back. Didn't attack caus that might have get them killed. I waited till the proper moment.
The dwarves moving in closer...
It comes to a clash
The battle really starts of now. I had some luck with priority in this game. So i could surround Eothen completly. If i didn't get this i might have lost lots of troops. In the game i also started a heroic movement once to prevent my guys from getting butchered. (Happens later in the battle...)
The wargs strike..
I really hated the banners of his champions so they formed a main target. Together with the pikes of his vault wardens.
Clatter, clatter a great clash between two mighty forces.
Now that i c the hornblower it reminds me that i don't like that guy either. So i tryd to kill him. But he was quite a lucky guy.
Warg knocks down a guy.
My guys doing quite great, better then expected.
A rider got killed. The warg didn't fled but fought fiercly with my other guys. It likes the taste of dwarf flesh.
Eaothens champion is attacking some guys. (Really hate that guys fight value :lol: )
Eaothens army has been broken quite a long but the stand fast rule and i think the help of the hornblower kept his guys from running. I didn't really think about a stand fast rule when i formed my army, silly me. So my guys started to run of when my army was broken. It costed me so much guys :( I should crush them beneath my feed :-X But yea evil guys are quite smart they prefer to live by running of :P To bad tough, not running could have helped me to victory.
My remaining forces try to do their best in battle.
It's starting to look really bad for me
It gets worse and worse :shock: can't look :o
While everyone is in combat, one of my hero's sneaks away for tactical retreatment.
I didn't had the profiles of this guy with me, so i tought he had heavy armour. But he hasn't... Ugluk has. So made a little mistake in there. But he never got into close combat alot so far. And never got any hits on him so nothing has been done wrong so far. I think it just stretched the end a bit when he remains. So it might have been a quicker death for me.
Eaothens guys aren't completly safe for running of either. He lost some guys. I think my running of captain shot some to. It slowed him down a bit, but i just wanted to get rid of some dwarves.
I runned so long over the whole field. But winning priority had helped Eothen in catching up.
Last guy remaining and victory for the dwarves:
I hoped u guys enjoyed this report. Eaothen might make some extra story about his point of vieuw :?: Maybe :!: :-D It was a fun game. I really should find something to kill dwarves... :) I think xbows might have helped. But i only got 3 more. We didn't know what we were going to fight for sure. I was quite fearing the dwarf ballista. Lucky for me there were no archers or ballista's. Think this saved me out lot of troops and direct confrontation. I hope i gave Eothen a hard time to fight me. Would love that :P

Last edited by garmenhord on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Eothen (dwarves) and Garm (isenguard)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Haha, you forgot the 'a' in my name :P but that's okay, I will write a little more, but I got no time today, tomorrow evening I'll be able to do it, if I remember to do so :P
Nice battle report mate! Still sad about your dead uruk-hai? :-D

Post subject: Re: Eothen (dwarves) and Garm (isenguard)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

nice work both of you :yay: :yay: 8) 8) :yay: :yay:

great painting too, i really liked dain and the uruk captain

8) :yay: 8)

Post subject: Re: Eaothen (dwarves) and Garm (isenguard)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My army:
Balin (used Dain model)
King's Champion
2 vault warden teams
a hornblower
4 Iron guard
5 Khazad Guard
9 Dwarf warriors with shield

I did not take any archers, I knew he would take orcs or goblins as archers, so I did not fear his arrows penetrating my high defence. He managed to kill 3 warriors with arrows, 1 by a lucky orc, the other two by his Vrasku. And also, I wanted to test my new units in battle, those are my khazad guard and hornblower. I was happy with them once they went into combat. I wasn't sure about the vault warden teams, since we were playing in open terrain. I could have replaced them by normal warriors, but that would give me 1 more unit in total, I now I had more defence and two supporters.

He was lucky with his movement, everytime I drew closer, he could outrun my dwarfs easily, just like his Vrasku in the end of battle, but, he died too, so, no problem.

I was not afraid of his wargs behing my troops, they were just two simple models. But once we came in close combat and he won priority, things looked bad for me. I thought I was lost, so I just tried to slaughter as many uruks as possible, letting the dwarfs to keep their honor. I was surprised I still won, could have been with more units still alive, if I wasn't closed in by losing the priority that one, most important moment.

It was a nice battle and I enjoyed it, it's been a while for me since my last battle, maybe like a year ago, so I was very happy, and then you win, makes it even better!

Baruk-Khazad! Khazad Ai Menu!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

^_^

I know you probably don't have the scenery available if you're playing on a table, but sure you could improvise! Bottles and Cans make for towers/columns, and a pile of books and a cloth/towel can make for a hill. Use your imagination!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Shieldmaiden wrote:
^_^

I know you probably don't have the scenery available if you're playing on a table, but sure you could improvise! Bottles and Cans make for towers/columns, and a pile of books and a cloth/towel can make for a hill. Use your imagination!

We did have some terrain pieces, but we were just to lazy to search for them :oops: :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

yeah, eaothen has some nice pieces - some of them still needs to be finished tough :P To work :arrow: *kicks eaothen's to work*
I defintly should get my hands on more Xbows and i need to figure out what unit to take for courage tests, probably should have taken ugluk instead of the captain. I think i have been doomed several times for not thinking about courage tests, i didn't played with courage test when i learned the game - caus i didn't get that part to much in the beginning, but very important :!:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

garmenhord wrote:
yeah, eaothen has some nice pieces - some of them still needs to be finished tough :P To work :arrow: *kicks eaothen's to work*
I defintly should get my hands on more Xbows and i need to figure out what unit to take for courage tests, probably should have taken ugluk instead of the captain. I think i have been doomed several times for not thinking about courage tests, i didn't played with courage test when i learned the game - caus i didn't get that part to much in the beginning, but very important :!:

You should convert an uruk to a hornblower, it'll only cost you 20 points extra :P one of the scout models has a nice pose, his left hand is reached out in front of him, if you sculpt a horn on that hand, it's close to his mouth. I've seen someone done it before, but I think it was before the site got hacked. Maybe if someone will read this who owns the model, he could show you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very nice battle. 8) I call for a rematch! :x
There is a Hornblower conversion in the WotR book where an Uruk pikemen had his pike swapped for a Wood Elf Sentinel horn and was given an Uruk sword. I tried this conversion and it was quite simple actually. :-D Though I made my own horn as I have no Sentinels at the moment. Good luck!

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil