All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finecast defects
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It wouldn't be so bad if GW gave away a free pot of liquid greenstuff, with every finecast product, but they actually charge you for this additional product to fix their main product which they claim is a premium medium superceding all that has come before!
Now I don't know about you, but if I was lucky enough to have the money to purchase a brand new premium sports car, I wouldn't expect the dealer to say "Yeh well it is brand new but you might find a few dents or holes in it. But let us show you this great filler we also sell so that you can fix it yourself!"
I know what my reaction would be, and I see no difference at all in what GW are plainly doing. People say what great customer service they have, but legally they have to replace any defective product because otherwise our Trading Standards would rip them to pieces.
Do not be duped into buying liquid greenstuff people to fill bubble holes. As a consumer you have the right to demand a refund or exchange if your mini looks like swiss cheese.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've just been cleaning up my Isengard commanders and uruk crossbow finecast figures and I'm so over cutting mould lines only to reveal bubbles underneath. I'm all for finecast over metal if it was done right but theres just so much work to go into getting these figures ready for painting. I need to reculpt faces, weapon parts, fill huge not minor gaps.... stuff I wouldn't mind doing if I had decent enough skill but not everyone has that talent. The thing is I order online so I really cant be bothered having a back and forth return thing with GW with all their faulty products they send me, the worst ones are my isildur from the sauron set being completely disintegrated... no chainmail or nose/eyes and my uruk banner bearer completely missing his jaw, products of that quality should not be allowed to be packaged for sale.

At the end of the day GW can do as they please but it will only come back to bite them offering a higher quality product at an extra cost only to have that quality be lower than previously offered.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Green_Dragon wrote:
I order online so I really cant be bothered having a back and forth return thing with GW with all their faulty products they send me

If you are willing to accept the poor quality (albeit begrudgingly) then all you are doing is playing into their hands. Quality Control will not improve at GW until enough people complain and return their faulty models. They are responsible for the return postage and should provide a Freepost label upon your request.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Green_Dragon wrote:
my uruk banner bearer completely missing his jaw

Pretend hes a dead Wildling resurrected by the White Walkers as a Wight...Paint him up as such, then post him to the GW Quality Control Department as a veiled threat. "Improve your quality or end up like this guy".

(Oscure Game of Thrones reference. :lol: )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:28 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

cereal_theif wrote:
Sorry Jobu but i have to disagree.
There is a difference but not in the actual start point.

After several casts a mold for metal will deteriorate and things such as facial hair, chain mail etc will lose their crispness(if that is a word), where as with finecast that is less of an issue... obviously replacing that issue with the fact a bubble might be in the place of the chain mail is not so good

You are assuming that the resin gives a longer mold life than metal. The problem is that resin is a very porous material and is much more abrasive, some may say sticky, to the mold than metal. Resin will ruin a mold as well, I have my doubts about any significant increase in crispness simply because resin is being used.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:30 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Ok, stop posting what you think about resin v metal, this is just supposed to list the specific models that seem to have the most problems with them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ukfreddybear wrote:
If you are willing to accept the poor quality (albeit begrudgingly) then all you are doing is playing into their hands. Quality Control will not improve at GW until enough people complain and return their faulty models. They are responsible for the return postage and should provide a Freepost label upon your request.

I understand that by not returning them I'm accepting mediocrity and allowing it to continue but surely they have some sort of criteria to be met before packaging figures for sale. Some gaps and plenty of flash/mouldlines fair enough but parts completely missing and still being sold should not be occuring on a regular enough basis.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You are absolutely right about not accepting Devlan Mud from GW. When I ordered from them regularly and had a friend working there. He would know that it was the beginning of the week when they got a call from me to complain about something with a model. With me, I guess what I dislike the most about the models is something that is really immaterial, the weight. There is something about the heft of the metal models that make me feel more comfortable when I am painting...Silly I know but that is the way it is.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've had a few minor hiccups with finecast. I bought Amdur ft and mtd and the mounted model's horse was slightly warped. Due to the angle, it would lean to one side slightly, even after I ran it under hot water and left it sit. Eventually I had to cut him off at the hoof, file and reglue.

When I opened the Dwarf Command, I saw the Captain and Shieldbearer's axes broken off where they meet the hand. They were otherwise ok though.

The Uruk Crossbows I have had some serious bubbling issues during manufacture. One is missing the right side of his jaw and another has a massive, concave flat spot where his fingers should be. At least 2 of them are missing chunks of the visor on the helmet. All of the crossbows are slightly bent so they don't exactly fit in both hands.

I must say though that my Goblin Command was not only great, but came with 2 Shamans as well. Perhaps I'm not as discriminating about Goblins though, as they should look a bit rough.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Here's the FC ive bought so far:
Shield Bearer=>Axe bent & handle all frayed below the hand. Fine
Iron Guard=>Axes & helmet spikes bent. Fine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have a dweller in the dark and i build it with his hand to the front ( you have one in a fist and one open to choose from)
Bought it a month ago.
And now it is bend forward from his legs touching the table with his hand.
I have already painted it. And no idea how i can bend him back without redoing the paint.

Last edited by Martinus on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Martinus wrote:
I have a dweller in the dark and i build it with his hand to the front ( you have one in a fist and one open to choose from)
Bought it a month ago.
I have already painted it. And no idea how i can bend him back without redoing the paint.

You can try heating it with a hair dryer and slowly move it back, i do not think that will help though. I am sure that there are bubbles underneath the surface near or in the ankle area. This was a problem with my first version of this model, i complained and they sent me a new one. The second one had problems with the heads and arm, i had to combine the two kits to get a good model.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok i will try that thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:05 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

That bendy legged Dweller is the best advert for finecast I have ever seen. NOT! Even if GW send you a new one it will not replace all the time and effort you have lovingly spent preparing and painting that model. Makes me so mad that this is being forced upon us. :-X

I'd love to go up to GeeDubs head of marketing strategy and do this: :Smackdown:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Take a photo and write a disapointed letter.
Dear Mr CEO
Attached is a picture of a model I bought from you. I carefully prepared it, built it, painted it, based it and then left it. Within a short period of time it had gone from standing tall above my men to being bent over like it has a back problem.
This is not an uncommon issue and is increasingly popular since the move to finecast.
I am disapointed that your company seem to be addressing the issues so slowly. It is not for the customer to test your product that should have been done by your team. With so many issues I am beginning to think that it is time I stopped buying resin products from your company and look for a company who will provide a similar product with a higher quality at a similar price.

etcetc

If we want to really make a difference and make them listen we must use the medium of the 1980's
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ashrak--bubbles in a spider or two...and a big bubble hole just under the chin...I'll probably just fill it in.
White Sword--bent sword...I'll try the hot water.
Stormcaller; small bubbles, nothing I can't live with.

But for these prices, I should not have to 'live with'.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Quendil » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:50 am
Great Beast - awful and replacement worse
Watcher - Ridges and miscasts

Any resin is definately a no for me now. Especially as I just dug out some FW stuff from 5 years ago to find it has warped over time. Anything with spears etc in finecast will most probably warp within a year :o

Quote:
Martinus wrote:I have a dweller in the dark and i build it with his hand to the front ( you have one in a fist and one open to choose from)
Bought it a month ago.

Quote:
Lord Hurin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:02 pm
I've had a few minor hiccups with finecast. I bought Amdur ft and mtd and the mounted model's horse was slightly warped. Due to the angle, it would lean to one side slightly, even after I ran it under hot water and left it sit. Eventually I had to cut him off at the hoof, file and reglue.

Quote:
Draugluin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:30 pm
Ok, stop posting what you think about resin v metal,

No!

Quote:
this is just supposed to list the specific models that seem to have the most problems with them.

The problem with Fine cast is the material they are made from. I warned every one on very nearly day one about the warping problem and provided photos. There is an oxidation problem too! There are possible health issues as well. Games Workshop has a quality control problem that they may be able to get under control. If they do the casting material issue will remain.
The problem with the finecast casting material was well know before you were born Draugluin. The issue is not that there are design problems with some of the molds or poor quality control but the physical properties of the casting material. The industry would not have switched to very expensive vs lead and resin, casting material 20 years ago had this type resin material had proven an option. My old resin models are long sense dust and the manufactures are long gone as well. The very few that survive were painted and stored in sealed boxes in an air conditioned room. They were stored away from the light and safe from the heat and yet gravity alone has broken them off or bent them double. The models not just spears. The hands with weapons will simply fall off in time.
I am not a chemical engineer. There are different formulas of resin available. I hand cast with many of them. Some are way better than others. They are all dangerous to work with. There is almost always a better option than resin.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

OMG, that Dweller really scares me. I was so close to ordering the Troll Chief in FC as I'm having so much trouble tracking down a metal version at a reasonable cost...but I shiver to think it may not hold up well over time. I'm discouraged by cast issues but can work around the acceptable stuff and found GW responsive for replacing the worse examples. But this is really an eye opener.

Living in New England there are days when it is 95+ in the house (we have one window AC which doesn't reach the back of the house well). And some days I'm going to play after work they may sit in my trunk for 8-10 hours summer or winter. I've never had issues with any plastics or metals from GW nor with any resin from Battlefront (Flames of War). But if the FC remains this delicate I'm really forced to avoid it for that reason alone. :-(

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
But if the FC remains this delicate I'm really forced to avoid it for that reason alone. :-(

I live near Atlanta Ga. It is not uncommon for the temperature to be hot enough to ruin any kind of plastic left in a car. Fine cast does not have a chance. On a hot day there would be no need for warm water to bend FC.
It is also going to become brittle as it drys out. I had a Quetzalcoatl model with a metal body and finecast type resin wings by RalParta. The resin wings fell off of the body from their own weight after a few years on display. They did not break at a glue joint the wings just dried out and broke off. The figure was not used for gaming and no one had even touched it. I posted a photo of the old Fortress trolls. They were in a box standing up right on the shelf cool and out of the light. One has broken off of the base in the short time that fine cast has been for sale. No one even touched it or the box.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oldman Willow wrote:
Quote:
Quendil » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:50 am
Great Beast - awful and replacement worse
Watcher - Ridges and miscasts

Any resin is definately a no for me now. Especially as I just dug out some FW stuff from 5 years ago to find it has warped over time. Anything with spears etc in finecast will most probably warp within a year :o

Quote:
Martinus wrote:I have a dweller in the dark and i build it with his hand to the front ( you have one in a fist and one open to choose from)
Bought it a month ago.

Quote:
Lord Hurin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Quote:
Draugluin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:30 pm
Ok, stop posting what you think about resin v metal,

No!

Quote:
this is just supposed to list the specific models that seem to have the most problems with them.

The problem with Fine cast is the material they are made from. I warned every one on very nearly day one about the warping problem and provided photos. There is an oxidation problem too! There are possible health issues as well. Games Workshop has a quality control problem that they may be able to get under control. If they do the casting material issue will remain.
The problem with the finecast casting material was well know before you were born Draugluin. The issue is not that there are design problems with some of the molds or poor quality control but the physical properties of the casting material. The industry would not have switched to very expensive vs lead and resin, casting material 20 years ago had this type resin material had proven an option. My old resin models are long sense dust and the manufactures are long gone as well. The very few that survive were painted and stored in sealed boxes in an air conditioned room. They were stored away from the light and safe from the heat and yet gravity alone has broken them off or bent them double. The models not just spears. The hands with weapons will simply fall off in time.
I am not a chemical engineer. There are different formulas of resin available. I hand cast with many of them. Some are way better than others. They are all dangerous to work with. There is almost always a better option than resin.

Maybe you don't understand, this is supposed to just be a thread where people say things that they have found wrong with the sets they've bought, not about FC overall. If you wanna gripe about FC, make your own thread or go to one of the ones that was made a while ago. All of the FC that I have is great. No warping, no breakage and they've all fit together. Maybe it's just because of the models that I have, which is the reason why I made this thread. Dragon Knight on horse=perfect, Theoden=perfect, Saruman and Grima=perfect. If tons of other people have had problems with these specific models, I would be under the impression that I lucked out on the ones that I got. However, I haven't seen anyone complain about those specific models, so I assume that most (maybe not all) are fine. If this is the case, then FC doesn't seem to have universal problems.

Also, stop talking down to me. Just because you're old doesn't mean that you know everything. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I know nothing. I understand that FC has problems, I understand that people can't afford it. However, it seems that you don't understand the point of this thread. You should re-read my first post before you bother responding.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next