All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:38 pm

Post subject: The Fellowship of the Rings BatReps
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi guys, I'm getting ready to start playing the first couple of scenarios from The Fellowship of the Ring Journey Book, now that I have at last finished my Dunedain (pics to follow shortly.) Just wanted your opinions on my BatRep map, this will show the initial deployment of the participants and plot the move by move action throughout the game. Is it too much?

Reports will follow shortly and will be posted on my website, a notification will be posted here in this topic to let you guys know....

:)

Thank you.

The Hunt Begins

Post subject: Re: The Fellowship of the Rings BatReps
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For me it can never be too much. :)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It seems excellebt... Keep up the good work... Your site is awesome :D
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks pretty slick. Don't get discouraged by the first few scenarios, the balance is terrible. There are a couple gems sprinkled through the book though.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Which side is it biased towards?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Good, by a mile. 9 Dunadain face 3 Wraiths. 9 shots at 3+ will average around 6 hits. 6 hits will average around two 5+ wound rolls. With might that's one or two dead Wraiths per turn, out of three.

Even without bows, the rangers outnumber the wraiths three to one so would butcher them in combat.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ring_of_Gyges wrote:
Good, by a mile. 9 Dunadain face 3 Wraiths. 9 shots at 3+ will average around 6 hits. 6 hits will average around two 5+ wound rolls. With might that's one or two dead Wraiths per turn, out of three.

Even without bows, the rangers outnumber the wraiths three to one so would butcher them in combat.

Actually no, the good player only has 3 dunedain for the first 4 turns, essentially meaning the wraiths can travel across half the map relatively unhindered. The other dunedain arrive only on a roll of 6 per man so tbh, unless if you have excellent luck, you will not be killing two wraiths per turn, and even in the case an unholy amount of dunedain arrive on turn 4 the wraiths can hide from half of them by lingering on the middle of the map then moving out of range once the rangers arrive. I think the wraiths have a clear advantage in that their forces are set and do not require rolls to materialize.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've tried the scenario once or twice and never saw how the Wraiths could win it. This seems to hold up with what others have said and the battle reports I've seen. The problem is the abundance of Dunedain might and the lack of Nazgul fate. Even though it's hard for the Dunedain to wound the Nazgul through their high defence, they can use a might point to boost any lucky rolls to fatal shots and the Nazgul, having only 1 wound and no fate in the scenario, can not do a single thing about it. It essentially lowers their defence by 2. And even if the bows don't work, the Nazgul have to break through the Dunedain lines who can easily engage them in combat, eating up will and again, striking the occasional lucky blow.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
the good player only has 3 dunedain for the first 4 turns

Take a closer look at the deployment rules.
The Hunt Begins wrote:
First of all, the Good player deploys three Dunedain in their deployment area. The Evil player then deploys a single Ringwraith in his deployment area. The players then alternate, with the Good player deploying three Dunedain and a the Evil player deploying one Ringwraith, until all models have been deployed.

Slain Dunedain may come back on later with good rolls, but all nine will start on the board for 9 shots, 6 hits, 2 5's to wound bumped to 6's with might, and one or two 3's to kill every round.