All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:14 pm

Post subject: Bilbo's Birthday Bash Report
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok. I'm relatively new to the SBG scene playing wise, been collecting them since the very tail end of the "battalion box" era of the game, but not played as much played in Bilbo's Birthday Bash 2011, which actually turned out to be the largest 5 game US GT with I think 32 players for the two days.

I played this list.

Rangers of Ithilien:
Ranger Faramir w Bow
Madril Captain of Ithilien
Warrior w Banner
10 Gondor Warriors w Spear and Shield
12 Osgiliath Veterans w Sword and Shield
5 Gonder Rangers
11 Citadel Guard w Bow
10 Citadel Guard w Spear
For each of the first 4 games you had a set of 4 cards that could be used 1 per game (with one of the 4 disaqualified due to being too close to standard mission objectives) to attempt to get bonus points. These secondary objectives were secret.

Game 1: Modified Domination (5 points, centers of quarters + center of board, control 4-5 more than opponent for major, control 2-3 more than opponent for minor). My opponent. Durburz + Shaman + lots of Gundabad Blackshields + Prowlers w bows and spears. Game was back and forth for a while then I started losing fights in the middle of the board. When the 10 minute warning was called neither force was broken and we decided we could get 1 more full turn in. He had his two points controlled solidly and was going to take the middle because that had finally collapsed. I had one corner strong and then Madril + 2 rangers by the last point with 2 gundabad blackshields contesting with 2 prowlers (out of an original 8 in that contingent) on a hill in bow range. He managed to plink away one of the rangers turning that point from mine to contested giving him the 2 point differential to give him the Minor win. Both of us took the "kill the enemy heros" card and failed miserably.

Game 2: Modified Contest of Champions (Whether opposing army was broken for the champion with more kills dictated Major/Minor). Opponent was the eventual Best General. He had an Arnor Force. Malebeth, the Elven Twins, 18 Hobbit Archers and a horde of Arnor Warriors. He had a twin for the champion and I had Faramir. I HATE that Fate roll that Malebeth gives those guys. This was the game of 6s to the max WITH the extra annoyance of the 5+ "ward" save. As it was the twin that he chose for the champion got about 8 kills, Faramir about 3 with another 3 stolen by the save. I also had the disadvantage of having a bit of a rough positioning where I ended up at one point with having a bunch of guys on one side of a low wall (about waist high on the minis) and the guys which would have spear supported on the other side of the wall so no support for me. He ended up breaking me. Major loss. I chose the sub card to keep all my heroes and banners alive. Faramir got nailed by the other twin in the end. 1 point out the 3 gotten.

Game 3: Stock Storm the Camp: Opponent another Moria Goblins. This one with a Cave Drake and only 8 Gundabad Blackshields + a Blackshield captain. I had the deployment advantage as I had a PERFECT firing platform for my Longbow Volley and it was partially in the 12 inch zone. I almost screwed the pooch on this one as I didn't realize how fast a Cave Drake could be. He managed to get the Cave Drake and ONE blackshield into the camp (I had to call the kid on moving his blackshields too far on that turn otherwise I would have lost. He was probably moving his stuff too fast all game and I didn't realize it.) I managed to get 3 of my citadel guard back into the camp to contest it for that turn. Luckily for me, that was the turn I broke him. I then managed to win priority for one of the few times that game and tied up his captain (which had burned all his might for heroic moves already) and the blackshield line. Mr Cave Drake then promptly failed his courage test and scarpered. The goblin force eventually evaporated back into the caves that they belong in. Major Win. Secondary Objective have more models in each table quarter than the opponent. 3 bonus points.

Game 4: Modified Seize the Prize: (3 artifacts are buried on the diagonal opposite to the deployment corners. Have to dig them up with models touching the token 4+ with +1 bonus for each friendly model beyond first on the token. If both sides have models on token, first attempt goes to army with priority. Once a token is dug up, 10 turn timer starts for game end, Major victory have all 3 tokens, Minor victory have more than opponent) Opponent. Isengard. I couldn't win priority to save my own damn life. I ended up broken and had one model left on the board at the end but he only had 2 artifacts. Minor Loss. Both of us were using the "infiltrate their deployment zone" card. My last model was in his zone and he had more models in mine, 1 bonus point for me, 2 for him.

Game 5: Stock Meeting Engagement with a secondary objective of keeping at least one hero alive being worth 3 bonus points. Opponent Mordor with Shagrat War Leader, Shelob, 6 Warg Riders, a Warg Riding Shaman, 4 mordor Uruk Hai and a whole bunch of mordor orcs. No Bows for him. My archery finally did its job killing probably 16 or so. I lost 11 models total I think in this game and utterly shattered his army. Major Victory.

So my total record. 2 Major Wins, 2 Minor Losses, 1 Major Loss. Not horrible for a relative Noob to LotR SBG. Everyone went home with something. Those who didn't get a 1/2/3 prize got to pull a blister at random out of a bag. I got a metal Dark Marshal Foot and Mounted. Works for me as I'm working on a Mordor force at the moment.
 Post subject: Re: Bilbo's Birthday Bash Report
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for the report, though pictures would have been nice.....Sounds like you did well for not having played that much. It's sweet that you got a blister that works with what your collecting right now as well. :D
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't normally have a camera with me when I play. I know my last opponent was taking pictures during the game.

I wonder what would have happened had I played with my Dwarves. I would have probably gone with something somewhat on the silly side like using my 8 Vault Warden Teams.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

wow, well done. that is an impressive set of results.
nice to see you got a free mini as well!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Sounds fun.May I ask, was the person who was taking the pics, BrentS,becas=use he took some pics in another thread?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes. He was the TO for this wonderful event.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:56 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Ah! , well (in the words of yoda) fun it looked.