All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:38 am

Post subject: Hi from a sort of newbie, UK
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all,

Having searched for quite a bit of information off your site i thought it only fair i repay the favour and stop lurking.

In Coventry WMids, dont know anyone who plays or paints lotr at the moment, used to play warhammer many moons ago (14 years... :( ), always been a fan of the lotr books and all that surrounds it, it was due to that obscession that led me to rpg's and warhammer trying to create some of the battles akin to the lotr, it never entered my head that gw might create a whole game around it....

Walked past the shop not long ago and looked in the cabinet through the window and saw what i could have sworn was Gandalf stood next to a Nazgul, had to stop in my tracks and then as if in a catatonic state i floated in and started buying things... really enjoying the painting and im hoping i will enjoy the games as i once did. I think the majority of my m8's who used to play probably think im mad but i dont care, you cant take the love for rpg out of someone... :)

really like the look of the tournaments (do you think someone could spectate?), gw seem to have excelled in some areas since i was a kid but seem to still be making some familiar mistakes in others, in saying that they have been around long enough...

I guess my first real question is, worth buying the rule book or the mines of moria set?

Ta :)
 Post subject: Re: Hi from a sort of newbie, UK
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Greetings, and welcome to the One Ring!

I love the LotR system and despite forays in 40K every now and then, I always return.

Regarding your question, the answer is....it depends. If you are planning on playing tournaments, you may prefer the portability of the small rulebook. I like having the larger book as it has more hobby material in it. It also depends on what you want to do with your collection. Are you wanting to re-create scenes from the books and play smaller level skirmishes? Then you need to stick with the SBG. If you are wanting massive battles like Helm's Deep and Pelennor Fields, then you should look into the War of the Ring expansion.

Good luck in your new endeavors, and I look forward to seeing some of your stuff!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Erunion wrote:
I like having the larger book as it has more hobby material in it.

Although, to be fair, the OR has a better hobby section. :P

Welcome aboard, to the wonderful world of grown men (and women) playing with toy soldiers.

You could always ask in your local store about gaming clubs in order to find a bunch of hobbyists, as well as the folk instore, but by experience LotR is the least played (and thought of) of the big 3.

As for starting purchases, it depends, as Jon said, about what you want to do with the hobby. If you want to play, you need to consider whether you want to play the skirmish game (SBG) or mass battles (WOTR). If you are more focused on painting, the Mines of Moria might be an idea, as you get a bunch of figures as well as the rules, so you can get some painting practise in. If you really want to paint, just pick up the models that take your fancy, and ask for any pointers online.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:29 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

gaarew wrote:
Although, to be fair, the OR has a better hobby section. :P

Without a doubt!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

thanks for the advice guys, so far i have only painted the below, anyone got any advice on how to make the join on the tail look a bit better ?

Realise it needs touching up and the picture is pretty rubbish.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nothing like jumping in at the deep end eh?

It looks cracking so far.

To sort out the tail, you'd need some sort of modelling putty (green stuff, Pro create, milliput). You mix it up as per the instructions and fill the gap with it using tools to smooth it out and define the shape, possibly, you'd have to sculpt a few scales as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

thanks for the advice, ill go and get some greenstuff and give that ago, wings just need touching up a bit, really liked the look of the model, from looking around it doesnt seem a heavily used figure in the games which i guess is down to its points cost, but i think it will look cool with a couple of vault wardens poking it in a diorama so thats the idea :)