All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:20 pm

Post subject: About that battle at the fords of isen
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This is a scenario question about the Second Battle of the Fords of Isen, in TTT journeybook. I'm planning a points-match version tonight with some very infrequent (and sometimes cranky-if-they-lose) players. Rohan is getting 650 points, Isengard 825.
On the Rohan side, I don't have enough Rohan, so I'm allying in Woses (GBG + 9).
On the Isengard side I don't have any Dunland painted yet, so I'm using all Uruks (scouts, warriors, berzerkers, ferals), with a Mordor Troll.

The goal is to cut the Rohan side down to 12 models by turn 10. Has anyone played this scenario from the book, and is it balanced?
 Post subject: Re: About that battle at the fords of isen
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have played(using minis of my friend) but with normal participants.I think it is a blanced game because the advances are:
Good-Many models hard to kill 36 in 10 turns.
Evil-Many strogner models.
I won using the good force.I was left with 17 warriors.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have a couple of friends who played against each other and Evil lost there as well (original participnts).
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

We ended up playing this and it's pretty nicely balanced. Both players were inexperienced (I was reffing, offering advice), and we had to quit by turn 7 at 2am, but at that point we all agreed it was still up in the air, though slightly more likely that Isengard would win. It seems unbalanced at first for Rohan, but once the Uruk-hai get into contact, the attrition rate for Rohan gets pretty steep. It didn't help that Rohan's reinforcements didn't arrive until turn 6, while Isengard's arrived a turn earlier.

The river adds a great deal of tension. Swim test required, and Isengard's player was so interested in getting across he lost a couple of uruk warriors to drowning. Berzerkers had no trouble crossing, as they do not wear armour. I also decided that the river current pulled them d3 inches per swim test, which made things more interesting.

A couple of amusing moments: one RRG killed three Uruk pikemen with throwing spears, robbing support from the front man three turns in a row; the Mordor Troll's first charge after crossing the river was on a single Wose, and the Wose turned around and drove him off with his spear.

Here's a couple pics. The rivers and the darker grey rocks are from Gale Force 9 ( http://www.gf9.com ), their Battlefield in a Box kits. I still need to flock them. The woodland bits and lighter rocks are my own creation (except the trees themselves are woodland scenics). And the WoR aren't painted...

Original deployment after Rohan's Move Phase (he moved everyone across the river):

A couple of Woses, just for fun:

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I see i was right.Anyway yes me too said before my match"Isenagrd probably would win but then after combats..."Anyway i hope you had fun.Oh and also nice pictures.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

trololololololol