All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:30 pm

Post subject: New Battle Companies/Middle Earth in Flames Campaign!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi,

Recently me and my brother have been playing a campaign I created a little while ago, I just thought I'd post it up here.

It's basically a variant of Battle Companies where you have to move along a campaign map to destroy the opposing team’s fortress. Armies will start out tiny and should quickly grow to fully fledged legions; there are plenty of interesting scenarios and special rules for heroes too.

It's tailored towards my small collection but feel free to elaborate upon it!

The rules and roster sheets are here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n2a23q1oxnoxx1f

The full size A3 map is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?dv3tp01hy4isyy0

It's called Revolution. Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: New Battle Companies/Middle Earth in Flames Campaign!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

its pretty cool, but its much too complicated, and its a bit of a bummer that you cant pick amies like dwarves as your main race ect...
If you can allow all armies to be picked, and make it more simple, then id defiantly play it, but currently i only really have goblins, so i cant pick any of the main forces ect....

also, on pages 8 to 11 you have lots of upgrades. im a bit confused on why you roll for what upgrade and also have points. do you roll and then decide if you want to buy that upgrade??

I would MUCH rather having the ability to somewhat control what upgrades i get. ie roll to see if its gonna be an upgrade to stats or special rule... and then choose which upgrade to stats or what special rule ect... mostly because you often end up w/ a hero w/ lots of random stuff (ie ends up w/ lots of exta attacks and added shoot bonus... id rather be able to concentrate my upagrades into a specific area (like get lots of melee upgrades or shoooting ones....)) so the majority of this pharagraph is that id like to be able to customise my hero myself, rather then hope i get something nice....

i still really like what you've done :D
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah I deffinately agree it's a little too complicated - far too much micro-management with all the rosters and having two companies at once and the map etc.

I didn't do dwarves or goblins or anything else cause I only made it to fit the models I have but feel free to expand!

And with regards to the special rules, you get to role on the 'hero advancement table' everytime your hero gets five exp. If you role a five on that table you then get to role on your class's special rules table. It doesn't cost any points but the points value contriutes to the 'fair fight rule' which determines the points value of each of your companies- which is basically what Games Workshop did with Battle Companies except I've got a few more extravagent special rules so it wouldn't work if they were all worth ten points.

Also, I tried to keep upgrading the heroes random so no one would become too uber-powerful, but I let players choose between might/courage/will and fight value/shoot value so you wouldn't end up with a really willful, couragous and accurate warrior that doesn't have a bow or any spells!

After having written all that, it probably is too complicated for anyone that didn't actually design it!

Thanks for downloading it though!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:27 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hi i tried downloading rules (the map on the other hand loaded for some reason) didnt work im working on something similar at [url]http:/battlecompanies3.weebly.com[/url] id really like to see what youve done could you try reposting it.
if you have any thoughts on my project let me know

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Here's another download link http://www.mediafire.com/?664j03u1c65l492 - I uploaded it again but it's had quite a few downloads so it has been working...

I like the look of what you're doing; I love the idea of doing linked scenarios, should give a lot more purpose to each battle - although if you're going to try and fit a story around them it might be difficult to make 'one-scenario-fits-all' type missions which is why I introduced the Middle Earth in Flames style campaign element.

I'm not sure how much use mine will be for you, it's certainly aimed more towards the casual player but there's probably quite a few less extravagent special rules and scenarios that you could take! The more different scenarios the better! The spells that I created seemed to work very well too, but again, they may be a little too 'casual.'

Also, just on a side note, you could make people have to pay for a new horse everytime one is killed (only for heroes) - we found that buying a horse early on made some heroes very overpowered... Although you'd have to lower the cost obviously!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hey this really is great good to see such a well thought out campaign. 2 things - How did the Spirit & Wizards do? were they too powerful? Also did you find that the Influence table of 3 to roll for new warrior was restrictive too properly ranking different costs of upgrades ie. weapons, mounts and allies?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No the spirits and wizards were nice and balanced - but we were lucky in that we only rolled for the less powerful powers like 'switch' and transfix rather than sourcerous blast for example!

And influence points do restrict how uch you can make something cost - a two point crossbow becomes uch more of an investment for example - but there had to be a way of re-equipping heroes without introducing a new currency... Maybe you could have them be picked up off bodies? Or maybe say one warrior or hero can be re-equipped after each game, I'm not sure...