All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:48 am

Post subject: Little report, Troll rampage.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Good Force
2 Rangers of Gondor
16 pts

8 Warriors of Minas Tirith
3 Bows
3 Spears
4 Shields
1 Banner
91 pts

Total - 107 pts

Evil Force
1 Mordor Troll

Total - 100 pts

Good force Start with Priority.
The Warriors of Minas Tirith See the Troll ahead, None move they form their battle lines, and hold ready for the approach hoping for time to fire some arrows at the lumbering hulk.

The Troll Moves forwards at full speed heading towards the men, its eyes full of rage they knew they had to kill this troll fast or it would be the death of them.

The three Minas Tirith Guards took aim with their bows and open fire at the troll in hope of weakening the troll before it hit the battle lines. One of the three arrows hit aim, But failed to find a soft spot to hurt the raging troll.

To the left Flank the two rangers of Gondor opened fire after the Warriors of Minas Tirith in hope of doing better then they could! But both shots flew wide and the troll Swung its arms around in a wild rage after being shot at.

Good Force won Priority.

With a Call from the front ranks it was now that they would have to fight harder then they had before, the one in charge of the other warriors called for a charge, They made a battle formation, Fear was settling in. Only a Few of them had been brave and charged the Terror, Even the so called leader of this small band failed to bring him self to do what he had asked his men to do not just one moment ago!

The men Surrounded the Troll the best they could but it was swinging a huge sword in arcs it needed to be killed as soon as possible, or the beast would sure to cleave the men apart.

The fight had started, But the trolls superior strength over powered the men, Knocking them all backwards with a huge swing of the lumbering trolls sword. With the swing coming at them most of them managed to duck backwards and avoid the brutal swing, apart from One Warrior of Minas Tirith who had been slashed in half with the mighty blow killing him instantly.

Good Force won Priority.
Again, they men charged forwards trying to hit the troll with all that they had, they had to stop the creature before it could get to the near by village and the rest of the guard had all but been spent on other duty’s that the steward deemed more important.

They managed to surround the troll this time, Trying to bring it down with numbers, Still the leader of this group stood back, his men starting to think he was going to leave them to die and the banner be lost, Still they fought on. The lives of the village ahead made them fight on even harder.

This time they managed to Knock the troll of guard Lunging spears at its neck while Slashing with swords at its feet. Still only One warrior managed to hit the beast and make any serious damage due to its hard skin and plated armour. The Troll roared in rage trying to fall back, but finding its self trapped the guards took the opportunity and hammered a spear at the Troll Hitting another open spot, causing another deep wound!

Good Force won Priority.
The men stood strong, with the heavy blows that the troll had taken it wouldn’t be long until it was dead, they had to hold on just a little longer.

The Troll distracted by the earlier wounds now seeping with a dark blood, was hit off guard again, the warriors strike with every thing they had, and with the leader of the war band now in the action as well they had even more hope, even if he had been a little cowardly not long ago.

The Spears pushed forwards with a huge amount of Force hitting in different areas at the same time, the Rangers of Gondor still hacking at the back of the troll, One of the spears managed to puncher the trolls armour and hit its chest, deep the spear sank and the troll fell to its knees.

The warriors of Minas Tirith managed to fight of the Troll at a loss of one of their own. But saving the lives of hundreds.

Good Win!

Extra:
Sorry about the background no terrain or any thing very exciting unless you like to be nosey on what i keep on my desk XD, also the Gondor force had to many ranges but i made this little fight just to get use to playing around and learning the game rules a little.

i hope you enjoyed it, if you spot any errors dont be shy to say OMG U NOOOBIEEEE :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am still in shock that that many WoMT managed to beat a troll.
:-X

Very nice report. Interesting and descriptive. Kudos to you.

Chris
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:27 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nice report. One thing you'll want to keep in mind is to let your spearmen support the others. That way you get their attacks added in, but you don't have to roll for their Courage to charge.

I'm actually surprised that many models managed to pass their Courage roll each turn.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:42 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hmm maybe i did the courage wrong, what i did was roll 2 dices and +3, if it =10 or more then it was a pass and they were alowed to charge the troll. but yep i tend to roll fairly high on my dice hehe.

I have brave little men of minas tirith! :D

was good fun to have a little fight with them tho :) I think i did every thing right! Thanks for the tips about the spear men fighting via rank and not needing to roll courage for that, i didnt relise they didnt need to roll for it if they were to fight behind another that had already charged, that will help in the future! :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:22 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Nice battle report Kellie (and welcome to the One Ring). It's good to read a report where Warriors of Minas Tirith actually hit stuff! My experiences with these guys has been pretty disappointing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:38 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

minas tirith warriors are cool, i like the high defence from them :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:16 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

kellie wrote:
hmm maybe i did the courage wrong, what i did was roll 2 dices and +3, if it =10 or more then it was a pass and they were alowed to charge the troll. but yep i tend to roll fairly high on my dice hehe.

You did it right. Statistically a courage 3 model has just under a 60% chance of success, so you lucked out.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:16 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dagorlad wrote:
Nice battle report Kellie (and welcome to the One Ring). It's good to read a report where Warriors of Minas Tirith actually hit stuff! My experiences with these guys has been pretty disappointing.

I know what you mean, since about 3 years, I have three citadel guard archers, I think I've used them in about 10 battles, and never, I repeat NEVER, did they kill anyone! :lol:

I'm used to calling them "the accursed ones" lately. :rofl:

And nice battle report, might try it out some day, since it's a simple battle, but looks fun.^^

Rueben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Amarthadan wrote:
Dagorlad wrote:

I know what you mean, since about 3 years, I have three citadel guard archers, I think I've used them in about 10 battles, and never, I repeat NEVER, did they kill anyone! :lol:

I'm used to calling them "the accursed ones" lately. :rofl:

And nice battle report, might try it out some day, since it's a simple battle, but looks fun.^^

Rueben

same here, but when I play vice versa (As the troll), I can't do any better either :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well done, on a neat report and a good outcome for the Good guys. The only trouble is, trolls tend not to come alone...

http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html ... tk1414.htm

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ah, it reminds me of when my troll died to two gondor spearmen after an archer had one lucky hit followed by both spears rolling a six!, oh well nice report!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Could you tell me how big the field is? Cause that's rather important, and I wanna try it out today.^^

Rueben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

it was my own lil made up mission basicly its was played on:-

Troll has stumbled in to the land of gondor, it has gotten near to a small village and the villagers are in danger the steward has sent out a small band of warriors from minas tirith to deal with the threat.

Good force must not lost their banner or they will flee the battle.

Board
22" long, 12" wide

Good Victory
Kill the troll

Evil Victory
Kill the Banner holder

Draw
There is no Draw when lives are at stake!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Cool stuff Kellie!! I love your spirit! :D

And I love your saying: There is no draw when lives are at stake!

It's good that you can spruce up even a 100-pt battle and give it some background!

But that troll couldn't roll 6's to save his life! :)

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I played it today, and wow, I'm surprised a single troll is actually quite vulnerable! :twisted:

I managed to wound him with an archer and the next turn, 3 men were brave enough to charge the troll, I surrounded him, and killed him in a single turn! :D

Only problem is that my brother is a bad loser. :roll:

Rueben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:21 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I wonder what would hapen if it would be 150 points, the troll could have some orcs to keep him from getting surounded 8)
It woud also be fun to have a shootout, men shooting troll trowing stones :lol:

Post subject: minas tirith
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:21 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I always try and include my minas tirith warriors they are as hard as rock, and they ussually always have spear support. Gondor is very strong. :D my favorite are
gotfc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

:-D

This was a very enjoyable read and it certainly points out very clearly the vulnerability of models that become surrounded, no matter how terrifying they might appear. My Uruks made similarly light work of an ent.

Strong and expensive warriors such as trolls (and normal heroes) invariably perform best when supported by allies. It is then that their expense becomes worthwhile. On their own - they are doomed.

Amusingly, as he is 100% of the force, he would never have to take a courage test!

I've not used my trolls for ages. Can't they throw stones? If so, he could have stood his ground and destroyed a number of warriors with rocks before charging the remainder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Somehow missed this post. :oops:

Very nice battle report Kellie! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

:shock: wow!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I cant believe some WomT and afew rangers managed to bring down a troll!! But then again GONDOR ROX!!!!!!! :yay:
good report :yay: