All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:35 pm

Post subject: It's been a while.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey all.

I've been bitten by the LOTR bug again, and have dug out my old models, along with snagging some stuff from eBay.

Am I correct in saying that to play I need the current Hobbit rulebook (either the small softback or the big hardback) then either a download from GW for the hobbit releases or one of the five sourcebooks to play? Since some of the sourcebooks are OOP, are there any places that still sell them, or it it just a matter of hunting on eBay? Can you use the profiles included in the previous rulebook (MoM) instead of buying the relevant sourcebooks?

From looking around, I've gotten the impression that 500ish points is the standard points limit. Is this the case?

Thanks in advance.

Dallo
 Post subject: Re: It's been a while.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

you are correct. The small softback book has no profiles in it, and the hardback has only "the hobbit" profiles. Sadly, there isn't one big rulebook with everything so you need to get the other sourcebooks either on ebay or looking online. You need to get them because a lot of profiles have been modified.

as for game points, 500 is one of the most played because it usually allows for a quick game. Games above 700 points are larger and more time consuming, but there isn't a general rule.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the info Dikey.

In terms of army choice, are there any that are considered inherently broken or very weak? The general consensus appears to be that SBG has much better balance than 40k or fantasy.

Cheers.

Dallo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The only weak army I could think of is all infantry Rohan. But the game is usually very well balanced, with very different armies and very different units.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Good to know. Thanks Dikey. How do Elvish armies fair?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dallo wrote:
Good to know. Thanks Dikey. How do Elvish armies fair?

There are the High Elves, the Galadhrim and the Mirkwood. High Elves have only one unit, the heavy armored soldier, but also what are amongst the best good heroes in the game. Galadhrim and Mirkwood have access to plenty of options.

Elves are usually low in numbers (due to their point cost) but are incredibly competitive. Not only because they have the better archery, but also because they have a very high fight value. Even if they seems expensive, they're actually undercosted: as I said in another topic, a Galadhrim warrior comes with only 1 more point than a warrior of numenor, but has better fight (+1) and better courage (+2), making it far better.