All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:57 pm

Who is the first hero youd choose in a warband for Arnor?
Arvedui 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Malbeth 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Arathorn 48%  48%  [ 10 ]
Halbarad 38%  38%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: Arnor Help/Best Hero
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So Im trying to put an Arnor army together. It wont be fully them.

So far, my plan is to have 4 Rangers of the North, and 16 Rangers with bows.

I plan to have a warband of Elladan and Elrohir with 12 high elves.

After this, IDK where to go though.

So, I have access to any of the troops/heros I need............

Im thinking for the next warband maybe do an actual warband of one hero and just a mix of arnor warriors and rangers.

I want to know your opinions and experience on the heros though. Please help me out.

One thing......NO Aragorn. Too pricey for me with a combined like 160 points or so for the Elven Twins.

Feel free to rate the heros in order but I can/will probably only fit two warbands of troops in addition to what I have in mind already.

Post subject: Re: Arnor Help/Best Hero
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:19 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd pick Halbarad to get a nice Grey Company theme

Trade viewtopic.php?f=38&p=378479#p378479
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Arathorn
Halbarad on horse
Malbeth
Arvedui
Halbarad

In order of goodness IMO.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Halbarad with Arwen's banner + Malbeth work well together leading two warbands of Warriors.

The 6" Range banner allows models to automatically pass courage tests, making the C2 of the Warriors negligible.

Combine that with Malbeth's 6" range 5+ Fate rule and you can have a VERY durable shieldwall.

Warriors of Arnor lack offensive punch though. Most of the time you will be needing 6's to wound, so some allies with high offensive power would be useful. Maybe a warband of Elven archers (Mirkwood Rangers would be a good choice) or some Strength 4 Dwarf or Rohan troops.

Otherwise, if you're doing a Ranger themed list and you're not using Warriors then I wouldn't bother with Arwen's banner (Rangers have C4, and they should be shooting more often than they fight so the banner is not so useful) or Malbeth (not historically/thematically accurate).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Aranarth wrote:
Halbarad with Arwen's banner + Malbeth work well together leading two warbands of Warriors.

The 6" Range banner allows models to automatically pass courage tests, making the C2 of the Warriors negligible.

Combine that with Malbeth's 6" range 5+ Fate rule and you can have a VERY durable shieldwall.

Warriors of Arnor lack offensive punch though. Most of the time you will be needing 6's to wound, so some allies with high offensive power would be useful. Maybe a warband of Elven archers (Mirkwood Rangers would be a good choice) or some Strength 4 Dwarf or Rohan troops.

Otherwise, if you're doing a Ranger themed list and you're not using Warriors then I wouldn't bother with Arwen's banner (Rangers have C4, and they should be shooting more often than they fight so the banner is not so useful) or Malbeth (not historically/thematically accurate).

Generally, I want to make more of a Ranger themed force. I already understand the only thing basic arnor warriors offer positively is Defense and I hate troops that have no offense. I dont like playing shield walls at all.....

So yeah, to agree with and futher your point I will likely take a warband of high elves to be tactical I.E. (I know this sounds completely contradictory) but shield and keep enemies at bay with high fight which arnor cannot do. While I do that, Ill use the twins and strong heros to Skirmish and cut the enemies minions to pieces. Thats why I was looking for help.

Im trying to decide who best to ally them with.

Who were some of Arnors bigger allies? Was Gondor a help back then? If so Im guessing the heros in the movies who were men generally werent alive to help. Maybe a warband of Rohhirim Led by Eorl the young? Or is Mirkwood a good thematic choice?

I really need a punch to the army. Elves are there to win fights and stay alive, Rangers are there for bows, spear support, and high fight. The twins have killing power but now I need more killing power.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm huge fan of arathorn. 3 might, 3 atks, 5 fight, and a bow. For 75 points you will be hard pressed to find a better budget hero. My second choice is malbeth. Fate pts for everyone!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Who were some of Arnors bigger allies? Was Gondor a help back then? If so Im guessing the heros in the movies who were men generally werent alive to help. Maybe a warband of Rohhirim Led by Eorl the young? Or is Mirkwood a good thematic choice?

They didn't really have any allies until it was too late.

The Elves and Gondor were busy defending their own lands against attacks from Mordor and elsewhere. A combined army of Gondor and the High Elves was sent to relieve the last Kingdom of Arnor (Arthedain) but they arrived a year too late.

Fornost was besieged and sacked, and Arthedain was destroyed. The King, Arvedui, fled north to Forochel but drowned when the Elven ship sent to rescue him was crushed in the ice floes and sank. The few survivors who remained, including King Arvedui's son and heir Aranarth (who later became the first Chieftain of the Dunedain) joined the Gondor/Rivindell army which marched to the ruined city of Fornost and destroyed the army of Angmar.

The Witch King was forced to flee, and his Kingdom of Angmar was destroyed, but he had achieved his objective of destroying Arnor.

If you want Elven allies, I'd use Elrond, Lindir Glorfindel, Erestor, Rivindell Knights and High Elves. Glorfindel was present at the Battle of Fornost, and it was the presence of such a powerful Noldorian Elf that forced the Witch King to flee.

The Dwarves had a number of cities across Eriador, in the Blue Mountains and Khazad Dum (which had not yet been destroyed), and there would have been trade routes throughout Eriador, so you could use a Blue Mountain or Khazad Dum themed allied force. Though no interactions between the Dwarves and Arnor are explicitly mentioned in the appendices.

When Arvedui fled north to Forochel, he sheltered for a while in an abandoned Dwarf mine in the northern Blue Mountains, so that would make for a cool scenario. Maybe Arvedui was being pursued by Orcs, and the Dwarves sent a force of Dwarf Rangers to rescue him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow thats an awesome post man. Thank you for so much information. I have a lot of Lord of the Rings books but I havent read them. Where is all that information located?

And the way I like to theme armies is as follows.....I read your story, and the Dwarven trade route idea suddenly took hold of me.
So my idea could be like a mixed force of Arnor that was trekking along a path somewhere, and were ambushed, and a few warbands of Dwarves came along to help when they heard what was going on......Ok....I might make some army soon.

One last question....which Dwarven heros/characters were alive during the time of Halbarad/Arathorn and were those two alive in the same era even?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think they're in the appendices of the Return of the King, if I remember correctly.

Arathorn and Halbarad were alive at the same time, but Halbarad was only a teenager when Arathorn died I think. This is according to the film Born of Hope (on YouTube if you haven't seen it), but I'm not sure if it's 100% lore accurate.

The idea of a shield wall backed up by Halbarad with arwens banner and Malbeth sounds like a very good thing to go for maybe at 500pts, and at 750, maybe add the twins and some Rangers or some riders of Rohan. All themed apart from Malbeth.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah I have not yet watched it but I've been meaning to.

And I always play at 750+ generally. So I'll be able to find the twins in. They are to be honest probably the most important part of the army to me.

I've always wanted to try the models stats and they look cool.