All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:34 am

Post subject: The striking Serpent act five. HUNT THE MUMAK question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I want to get comfortable using a mumak, and found this scenario on page 34-35 of the pelennor fields book.
I have a question about it, it describes the goals of the scenario,

Q1 but I wonder if I should also use the 'broken' rules or that it is just a fight to the death?

also the good force contains of prince imrahil with 8 knights of dol amroth on horseback&lance, a minas tirith captain and 8 warriors of minas tirith with bow. but does not discribe their equipment.

Q2 So does the captain come with a shield or not.. Is Imrahil mounted ? etc.
I want to know how people filled in these gaps in the description of the scenario, so I can play it the way it was designed.

Q3 is a lazy one, becouse with some effort I can find it in the hobbit rulebook but : does the cavalry get an extra attack and lance bonus charging the mumak ?

Last one :

Q4 If you shoot at the mumak commander, do you have to take multiple in the way test for the different parts of the mumak that block your view. Or is it just 1 in the way test for the whole howdah ?

Hope you can answer them , thanks in advance ! :)

prov. 27:17
 Post subject: Re: The striking Serpent act five. HUNT THE MUMAK question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

These are just my opinions:

1) This scenario was written with the old Courage rules in mind. You could play it with the new Courage rules, but understand that it COULD unbalance the scenario.

2) GW generally uses stock models for the scenarios. I would assume that Imrahil comes with a mount, as it doesn't make sense to have a leader on foot and all of his troops mounted. I would think that the Captain of Minas Tirith would have a shield, because I don't think they've ever made a MT Captain without one on the model.

3) I don't remember this off the top of my head, and haven't played against a Mumak in a very long time.

4) It's supposed to be one In The Way test for each separate obstacle that blocks line of sight, but I would just play it as one In The Way since the howdah is all one big object.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the answers !
Regarding your answer for Q1 : did the old rules not have a 'broken'rule or do the new ones not cover this. What would be the difference ?

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would very much recommend playing with the old Courage rules for scenarios from that era, as they simply were written with those rules in mind. Unless specified in the special rules, everything works as normal in terms of armies being broken. Don't have the old rules at hand, but it involves moving away and only being removed from the table when moving off the board (rather than immediately upon failing the test).

As for 2): Heroes were always allowed any of the wargear options listed in their profile, unless otherwise indicated in special rules for that scenario (hence the absence of wargear listed for heroes; warriors were equipped exactly as described).