All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:23 am

Post subject: Creating a story scenario
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In The Hobbit book, Tolkien writes that Gandalf saved Gwaihir from an Orc arrow and that is why the Eagles are willing to help Gandalf escape the Goblins after climbing the pine trees.

I was hoping to recreate the scenario in which Gandalf saved Gwaihir. However, I would not really know where to begin designing such a scenario.

Gandalf would not yet possess Glamdring and Gwaihir would be suffering some debilitating effects, what exactly, I am not sure; I would greatly appreciate any input.

Many thanks!
 Post subject: Re: Creating a story scenario
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hmm that sounds like an interesting scenario.

Well to represent a wounded Gwaihir, I would say that he has no flying ability, but only a limited ground movement, with no charging bonus. also less wounds and fate.
Maybey you could give gandalf, a healing/renew spell like radagast has, and make it the scenaria's goal, to renew his wounds and fate. aswell defend him and kill all the orcs. ( with a healed Gwaihir, he regains his abilitys, so you can smash all the orcs )
While the goal for the evil side is, to kill gwaihir before he recovers.

Hope it helps or inspires :)

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like Jelier's idea that Gwaihir can't Fly. I was going to suggest that you deploy as for the DOS Rescue scenario: Gwaihir in the centre of the board, the Evil force (see below) within 12 inches of him and Gandalf touching a table edge - The goal would be for the Evil force to kill Gwaihir within a turn limit.

I would suggest starting with about 15 Mordor orcs (not allowed to Piercing Strike, Feint or spear support) and say the game lasts 10 turns. Play it through and if it's too easy for Gandalf and Gwaihir then increase the number of orcs. Keep playing it through until the odds of winning are about 50/50.

I would also say that due to being wounded and enraged Gwaihir never counts as being trapped as otherwise I think it might be a bit too easy to kill him in one lucky round of combat.

The cool thing about this kind of scenario with so few models is that it won't take too long to play through, edit the parameters a little and swap sides and play again.

Above all have fun, it's what the narrative scenarios are about and this sounds great, in fact, I might even give it a go myself! :-)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:44 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sounds like a pretty good idea!
I mostly agree with Dr Grant too, though I would be inclined to put Gandalf a bit closer to Gwaihir, although he might be close enough as it stands.
Give Gwaihir the cornered beast rule from the cave drake if you like, or maybe something where each model in the combat suffers a hit at the start/end of the phase as he thrashes around wildly - this will depend on how many wounds you start him with.
You could also think about reducing Gwaihir's strength by 1 each turn as he gets weaker from the wound.

I like the ideas so far, but keep it simple and it would be a great scenario.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the input guys, I shall have a few playtests incorporating your ideas.