All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 6:38 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thermo's 500pt All Cavalry Rohan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:18 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

30 D7 dwarves at 500 points Southy?!?! :shock: Maybe I don't want that long awaited game at Preston... How have you managed that then? That can't be Erebor, must be Khazads? Unless I'm getting deeply confused and my memory's playing up, I'm sure Grimhammers were D6 no?

@ Thermo - Thanks for the kind words RE my WIP, it's quite satisfying seeing it build up and the comments of other gamers/painters are much valued!

I like your new list from a fun point of view but have to concur that it'll struggle competitively. If you go for big heroes (Radagast/eagle) then you really need to go for all heroes, otherwise people will just gang up on your weak links (the mounted Rohirrim) and cut them down to break you quickly, they'll then be able to gang up on your bigger things one at a time.

That said, having a 3 Wound, 3 Fate wizard at 500 points does give you a very durable leader and you should be able to boss the game with magic. The list would be a lot of fun to use but I think the following would give you the same fluff feeling and be more competitive:

Radagast, horse, Seb
Eagle
Eomer, KotP, armoured horse
Erkenbrand, horse
Eowyn, Horse, armour

(done the maths in my head, think it comes to 501)

That gives you 4 really beasty combat models and 2 of your Rohan heroes are D7 so should be quite durable. Eowyn's in there to bring 2 more Might and increase your break point so the enemy has to kill 3 of your models rather than 2. For the record I'm not saying this is a good/competitive list, just that I think it's better than the half hero/half troop one listed above. It'd be damn good fun to play with too. Oh, and if you're taking Radagast never, EVER, leave home without Seb, best 5 points you'll ever spend.

As for Outriders, yeah, of course, they're awesome, absolutely no reason whatsoever to take normal Rohan bowman, sad thing is, no-one has enough of the models cos they're so damn expensive. Buy as many as you can afford and use them all.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Without derailing thermo's thread, it's only 20 erebors w/ D7 (give or take) the rest just have spears. Need to redo that list to check I have what I need for it. yes grimmies are D6, that's what I don't take them.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sounds like fun Southy, just got captains leading them to fit them all in?

Want to do an Erebor army myself one day. Love the models.

@Dr Grant - Very much agree, that list is more for fun and as you say, if you're going to splash out points on single models at that level, it's better to go all hero.

I'm almost certainly trying out list B this week, with the extra SoE's and RRG's so I'll let you all know how it gets on.

As for Outriders, aye, nearly £50 for the four I need is sickening... Anyone know ANYONE who still stocks metals for a bit cheaper??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:42 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nope, I have thorin, dwalin and balin.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

At 500 points and with 30 dwarves?! That's good going! Look forward to seeing it in action :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So I've been thinking... It appears to me that it's even more important to win fights when you are a mounted Rohan army and do lot's of damage when you get that charge, as you are almost guaranteed to be a smaller force than your enemy so getting the kills and tipping the balance is vital. With the knockdown rules, cavalry are very killy when they win the fights...

Whilst it seems to be the consensus that 500pts is to small to take a banner, is it worth it when your force is already small in number like in a Rohan mounted list? Typically rolling two dice per rider on the charge, upwards of that for SoE and heroes, rolling one of those die per fight to have the chance to win could be the difference?

Interested to hear your thoughts everyone, you all know a lot more than I do!

Example list

Eomer, MotR (horse, shield)
2 x Sons of Eorl
2 x mRRG (throwing spears, 1 x banner)
2 x Rohan Outriders
3 x Westfold Redshields (throwing spears)

Erkenbrand (horse)
2 x Sons of Eorl
2 x mRRG (throwing spears)
2 x Rohan Outriders

498 pts ... thoughts on this variation??

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hmmm, this one sounds relatively tough on paper. Nice mix of troops which compliment each other. Decent numbers for a all cav 500pt army aswell. Definitely your best list I think.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Tough isn't it? (Got to love list building)

Sacrificing Knight of the Pelennor for Marshall of the Riddermark, and a model but for that we're getting all the redshield upgrades, all throwing spears and a banner to help win those all important fights... which might actually be key for such a small cavalry army, especially at 500pts (whereas it may not be so important for infantry armies at this points level.)

Thanks for the feedback, two more Sons of Eorl have arrived, as has the final mounted RRG (and the foot models) so only proxying the outriders until they arrive with these new lists. Play-testing tomorrow, wish me luck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeah list building's good fun, even with the relatively limited options of SBG (when compared to Fantasy or 40K) I really do enjoy sitting down with a cuppa, surrounded by source books and trying to figure out how to squeeze every last drop of worth from each point!

I've gone right off banners lately, now, this is in no small part down to me running a feral Isengard army where every model has 2 attacks anyway but I'm still dubious of how worthwhile they are.

This feeling is massively exacerbated in an all cav army where the base size really works against you. You're absolutely right that winning fights is key for cavalry but it's going to be very hard for you to get your banner in range of more than 1 or 2 riders per turn. I've always thought that mounted banners should have a 6" range to compensate for this (it's also very fluffy as it represents more people being able to see the rider) but that's beside the point. Banners are also relatively easy to deal with, a few shots and he'll either be dead or his horse'll be dead and he'll be lagging behind the battleline. You normally protect your banner by placing another model touching him but when you've only got 20 models you can't really afford to have 2 of them hiding at the back not contributing.

So with this kind of army I'd vote no banner, you've got 6 Might which you should use on Heroic Moves to get the charge, that way each of your models has 2 attacks and so is, in effect, in range of a banner. With your remaining 27 points you could get another Redshield and another rider to up your numbers.

It's an interesting one though, I know a lot of players still swear by banners so I'm sure the debate will rage on!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks good. I have experimented with the banner in smaller games with my Rohan force as well. So far results are mostly for the best. The banner typically becomes a priority target for my opponent to take out which helps draw more fire away from say my Sons of Eorl and weaker Redshields. Granted the biggest disadvantage of mounted banners is you can really only help at most 2 possibly 3 riders a turn (darn 3" range :-X ).

As long as you protect your banner when you do get a chance to utilize those re-rolls in fights, it definitely helps smash through lines and give you a better chance at getting those initial kills. The loss of beefy Eomer is tough though, as I just love the KotP, granted in 500 points MotR Eomer should do you just fine though, especially with those possible re-rolls.

Try out both and you will find a style that suits you. I personally drop the banner and wait until 600 or larger point matches to use banners with my cav forces. However that has not stopped me from using them every now and then.

Either way, Rohan is my favorite army and all cav lists just are so much fun to play. Enjoy! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Have you had a chance to run any of these yet?

I rarely take banners at the 500pt level. Sometimes with Orc or other very cheap infantry, but for the most part the extra models I can get in the force serves me better. And banners are often an early and easy target (I know I like to take them out when the opportunity comes up to rob the benefit and flush the points). But as you say it may turn out valuable in a case like this.

And I know KotP is a serious model, but Eomer MotR has been around a long time and proven himself really good for his points in many games over years. He and Erky can work well together at a relatively low point cost, IMO.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Kings Champ is all da banners I need at 500pts #swag
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

KC is such an OP mini, it's not even fair.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Calm down babe
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

EDIT: In this post I talked about what I may take to Preston, but I am doing that down below now, ho ho ho aren't I cheeky.

Last edited by SuicidalMarsbar on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, I got a chance to play-test two of the suggested lists today! I was up against Charles, who is organising the tournament at the end of the month for the Great British Hobby League.

First of all, this guy was sharp with the rules. I really enjoyed playing him because he knew things I simply didn't, he didn't seem to miss a thing on both sides (many things I just weren't aware of or completely forgot) and he did help teach me some sides of the game I haven't had a chance to learn yet.

Thanks Charles!

Game 1 -

Decided to go for a standard To The Death game... straight forward and would allow us both to focus more on the armies, rather than the scenario. I took the following list...

Eomer, MotR (horse, shield)
2 x Sons of Eorl
2 x mounted RRG (throwing spears, 1 x banner)
2 x Outriders

Erkenbrand (horse)
2 x Sons of Eorl
2 x mounted RRG (throwing spears)
2 x Outriders

My opponent brought a nasty Harad build army, three full warbands I think, with something like 12 Watchers of Karna, Serpent Guard with spears supporting, along with some standard Haradrim spears and bows... there were a few Abrakhan Guard in there, a solitary serpent rider and I think he had two corsair captains leading two of the warbands and hasharrin leading the other.

I rolled to deploy first, first warband deploying 12 inches from centre, second doing the same. Both arranged to be hidden behind two big rocky outcrops on the flanks whilst he deployed a battle line further back. I had Erkenbrand on the left and Eomer on the right (banner too)

In an effort to avoid this post becoming a battle report, I kept my force on the left flank hidden to remain a threat and effectively had the right flank run a gauntlet between the rocky outcrop and a wooded area on his right flank, picking him off with outriders firing from cover.

The tactic seemed to be working well... forcing his mainly bow based army to move to have to shoot anything... and negating much of that shooting... whilst my own shooting did pretty well. In fact, throwing spears gave me the majority of my kills in this game and I think it's the first game where they have had such an impact.

I think partly this was due to being up against a mostly D4 army... when I did hit, especially from static with the forces that made the gauntlet on his right flank, I was getting the kills.

I was also pleased with the outriders... they posed enough of a threat to be target priority quite a bit of the time and the shoot value was very handy... nearly all of my kills in this game came from missile fire.

However, I made a mistake in the gauntlet run, using Eomer to protect the banner as they made the run. In hindsight, I should have ordered it so Westfold Redshields and even the royal guard were covering the others on the move... instead, they paired up with the sons of eorl helping them get across through the bowfire.

Eomer's horse went down and that immediately limited his capability in the game.

But with much of his battle line now wheeled toward my probing right flank taking the woods, I now brought my left flank up... and made the cardinal sin of sloppy measuring. I completely mismeasured whether I was in or out of range of his guys and as a result, one or two of his models could get into contact with one of my riders... and more supporting. Since one was his captain, his heroic combat allowed him to move onto more riders... With Erkenbrand down to a single wound through some lucky shooting which burnt his fate too, he soon went down and with him (and successive priority losses with no might to heroic move) that left flank was destroyed. I had more success on the right, but Eomer's lack of horse was a kick in the teeth.

Although he was a couple of models from breaking, it was in the end, a complete victory for Charles when I reach 5 models and the game ended with me being at 25%

Tactical thoughts - I really enjoyed this game... it started out like chess and it's a shame that some sloppy mistakes really swung it, although it would have been tough for me with those Watchers in the battle line.

1) Be careful with my measuring! Very sloppy! But I guess we learn from making those mistakes.

2) Poisoned weapons are a bitch. Haha rerolling those ones was pretty cool for him and really did have an impact.

3) Banner - Very very tricky to deploy in this force. Because you're looking for angles on the charge and positions for the counter charge, rarely will it come into play. Maybe worth it at a points level where Gamling can be carrying one, but 3" just isn't enough with the cavalry.

4) Hero horses are target priority. Losing Eomer's horse was a kick in the teeth and that really hindered my ambitions on the right flank. Keep that hero and his horse obscured from bow fire if you can!

5) Throwing spears can be really effective! First game this has happened, but they accounted for most of his losses, with the outriders chipping in. Think I killed about 15 of his models by the game end, a good number from throwing spears... easily earning their points back.

6) Redshield upgrade - Even though we didn't get many charges in this game and when we did, they were countered, the fight 4 did come into it and allowed some of the redshields to win the fight when they shouldn't have... giving them another turn before they lost priority and again were overwhelmed!

7) Those extra Sons of Eorl, RRG and Outriders... prefer this balance of build much more. It meant the sons of eorl were no longer target priority, which they have been in games I've brought two and that in turn meant they could actually do something. Same with the RRG, the extra defence made a big difference in the combats... much more survivable. And the outriders play a great little part. Funny that against a 50% bow Harad force that I would win the shooting match, but it just showed that careful manoeuvring can balance the odds, nipping in and out of cover and using angles to pick off the enemy.

8) MotR or KotP...? Well, In the next game, I reverted back to Knight of the Pelennor... much more survivable, with a more survivable horse too... this game made me remember why I enjoyed playing him instead of MotR. When I first started playing, I always used MotR... but I forgot until today the extra confidence having a hero like KotP brings. I'm just more cagey with MotR and don't really trust him in those potentially game changing moments whereas KotP does help me play with a little more confidence...

So based on the above, I reverted to list list for our next game.

Eomer, KotP (armoured horse)
2 x Sons of Eorl
2 x mounted Rohan Royal Guard (Throwing Spears)
2 x Outriders
3 x Westfold Redshields

Erkenbrand (horse)
2 x Sons of Eorl
2 x mounted Rohan Royal Guard (1 x throwing spear)
2 x Outriders
3 x Westfold Redshields

To bring back KotP, the Westfold Redshields and one RRG would lose their throwing spears and the banner would go... well worth it I think.

Charles decided to test me with another force he felt my list would struggle against... a monster based list.

From memory, he brought The Beastcaller as his leader, a bat swarm, the Spider Queen and a bunch of spiders (maybe 6 or 7??) and two Dwellers.

We decided to roll for this scenario and got hold ground... at which point I immediately learned another lesson. It is best NOT to get turn one priority/deploment in this situation. I rolled and deployed on North and East edges. He rolled and was immediately behind (and his bat swarm in front of) Erkenbrand's force in the East.

Upon losing priority, I then learned another few lessons. When calling a heroic move, your hero must move first. So with how I had deployed, he was effectively trapped. Also, I didn't know that models performing "with me" had to finish within 6" so again, it limited what I could do. However, Erkenbrand could move about a quarter on an inch so that was used to get all sorts into combat.

Since the cavalry did not get their charge bonuses against his two dwellers, spider queen, and because he had low force numbers, my goal was to try and kill off the mini spiders first but most importantly, keep him bogged down.

In the meantime, I moved my outriders to the central objective with some redshields, whilst the sons of eorl got themselves into 12" counter charge range (got to love those horses) and Eomer KotP and the RRG moved up to rescue erkenbrand's force. With his positioning, there was a chance he would kill me quite quick and hey, if I had points on the objective and the game ended, I could win by losing!

They swarmed in on the spider queen, and I successfully used my first ever heroic combat, killing her with the sons of eorl and eomer and moving on to kill the bat swarm.

What ensued was a very tasty struggle...

By the end of it, lots of hurling had left very little on horseback. But again, with the right combo of calling heroic moves and combats, with no might left to counter, I wrestled the upper hand, slaying the beast caller. The RRG were invaluable for getting the charges on the Dwellers (especially once Erky bit the dust and I couldn't rely on his horn) and pinning them back and D6 was helping me survive all these S3 hurls hits no end, although I had no horses left!

With only the dwellers left, we were rolling to end the game... which continued, to my dismay, for another 4 or 5 turns! Over which time, his dwellers would continue to roll sixes against mightless Eomer and company and whittle me down until I myself was broken. But still the Dwellers were tar pitted and I was on the objective... losing more men to failed courage tests now than to them! Finally he broke loose with one dweller and made for the objective. I swarmed around him, and began to roll my courage tests when suddenly, Charles remembered he had forgotten his own courage tests! He rolled... double ones and failed! One Dweller left on the table with two SoE on foot, Eomer on foot, 2 outriders and 1 westfold redshield and finally the game ended with an epic handshake, 7-2 victory for me.

So 1-1 the score today and much learned.

A successful play test... I definitely prefer the new builds with the extra SoE, RRG and Outriders.

I also prefer KotP and how he affects my mentality when I play (I trust him, if that makes sense)

I think banner is tough to play with an all cavalry at this points level. I still see the theory of it working, but it didn't do anything in that game and it was always going to struggle.

Throwing spears were effective! I don't mind sacrificing the 6 on the red shields to allow KotP into the game though.

RRG... great for tying up those monsters. Extra defence was very handy.

Being hurled or hurled into in a cavalry army isn't fun (well, fun to watch actually but you know what I mean!)

Well used heroic combats can really be a game changer... I honestly thought dying quick whilst holding the objective might be my only chance after seeing him deploy and learning that Erkenbrand's heroic move wouldn't be as effective as it should have been in that situation. But two heroic combats swung that last game in my favour.

I hope you have all enjoyed my quick run through of what happened today! More games tomorrow with The_Newbie (Jamie Giblin), Louis Aplin, JT Noble, Charles and maybe Ste so will let you know how we get on!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actually you do get the +1 attack when a cavalry model charges a monster, just not the knockdown.

Yeah your second list looks much better, banners are a waste of everyone's time and money chiz chiz chiz
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I do? Well, I better let Charles know tomorrow because he didn't let me have it! Unless I'm tired and am remembering it wrong (which is possible)

Seemed to know his stuff that lad!

Agree mate, second list much much better. All riders have the redshield upgrade, three rrg have throwing spears and I have Knight of the Pelennor back:)

You're coming to Preston aren't you pal? Decided what you're doing yet?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No clue mate, I like monsters a lot but I have an awkward 130pts to fill in that army so egh. I have thought of a few lists but nothing seems to hold a candle to Damian's ferals/Sam's dwarves, as those are the two lists I find most intriguing, they use models that aren't the typical chiz but are still real competitive.

I figured I could fit the kings champ, Thranduil, and Malbeth into a list and have half 29 models, meaning I'd have a good army based entirely on buffing tactics, which would be a nice twist on the meta, and I could always swap the elves for Ghan buri Ghan and woses but I ain't sure :/
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking forward to seeing lot's of armies I haven't really come across so far, especially Damian's Feral's everyone has been talking about. Agree, Sam's Erebor force should be strong and hard to break down... and I love those models. On my to get list!

I've had a game where I've come up against King's Champion before... so cheap for what you're getting. Didn't have any problems with him in that game as was able to separate the fights enough to take out the heralds before smiting the champion.

But I like you list, especially with the Thranduil and wood elves :)

Really like Malbeth too... a one in three chance of surviving a wound for the blokes in combat around him has helped me a couple of times, particularly last time I played Arnor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next