All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:19 pm

Post subject: hobbit army-suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Im really curious about this folk and hmm

Are they good to field at? last book (old one of legions) they couldnt ally with other factions, now whats the best for em?
 Post subject: Re: hobbit army-suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Working on an army of those myself, but haven't had a game in yet.
Planned army is:

Frodo of the Nine Fingers, pony
Samwise the Brave, pony
Peregrin, Captain of the Shire, pony
Meriadoc, Captain of the Shire, shield, pony
Paladin Took
Fredegar Bolger
Lobelia Sackville-Baggins
28 Battlin' Brandybucks
12 Shirriffs
20 Tookish Hunters

So that's 5 full warbands.. at 500pts.
Meriadoc and Peregrin are quite decent, now that they have two attacks a piece and ponies follow the rules of normal cavalry. Other than that, the Hobbits can still shoot very well, and their throwing attack is not affected by the -1 for moving penalty (as they can't move anyway).
For 700pts, I'll ditch Lobelia and Fredegar to gain Gandalf on his Cart and a warhorn: note how Meriadoc's Horn of the Riddermark is not in fact a warhorn, so those two will be cumulative: giving all Hobbits C5 and Frodo an almighty C8 (which means he normally cannot fail his courage test.. same for Gandalf by the way). Hmm, come to think of it, a combination of those courage bonuses and Lobelia's presence (no Stand fast) could be quite interesting actually.
Furthermore, the two upgrades make them more useful too, half the aforementioned army has F3, the other half S3. Add those up and you get a normal proper warrior, and seeing how you'll bring twice the models to the table as your opponent, it might just work!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

a friend of mine had 12 hunters, although he was lucker he manage to rain down of arrows on the witch king on horse while a couple shirriffs were beating the clubs on their hand waiting for the wraith, was quite hilarious seeing the wraith dropping dead
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Where did they change the rules so that ponies are normal cavalry? :?

Hobbits need a generic captain. :-X

Coenus Scaldingus, that looks like a fun army 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wow, I've fiddled a bit with some Moria goblin lists, but I don't think I have ever reached that many models (Then again I have a hard time making those list without throwing in a troll or two)
That list actually sound quite fun, If nothing else for your opponents face when you just keep loading figures onto the table
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oldman Willow wrote:
Where did they change the rules so that ponies are normal cavalry? :?

Well, there simply aren't any special rules anymore, if I'm not mistaken! So, yeah, that's an amazing three models in a powerful cavalry charge (as Frodo won't join in; or 4 models if Gandalf is present).

Spacefrog wrote:
Wow, I've fiddled a bit with some Moria goblin lists, but I don't think I have ever reached that many models (Then again I have a hard time making those list without throwing in a troll or two

A Moria goblin captain and 12 goblin warriors (all with a single piece of equipment) are exactly 100pts, so they could have the same.. the Hobbit army is a bit more interesting though!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The problem with hobbits is that they still only come in metal sets of four costing £24.60 compared to £15 for the same amount of most other troops. I do really like the idea of a hobbit army but my wallet doesn't! If you do start one then I'd really like to see some pictures!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Warband 1 12/12
Peregrin, Captain of the Shire with Pony;
12 Battlin' Brandybuck
----
Warband 2 12/12
Meriadoc, Captain of the Shire with Pony;
12 Tookish Hunter
----
Warband 3 12/12
Frodo of the Nine Fingers with Pony;
12 Shirrif
----
Warband 4 2/12
Paladin Took
1 Battlin' Brandybuck
1 Tookish Hunter

Warband 5 0/12
Gandalf the Grey

Last edited by LordElrond on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

DomyHill wrote:
The problem with hobbits is that they still only come in metal sets of four costing £24.60 compared to £15 for the same amount of most other troops.

True, to solve that (and add a good deal of variety) I got some 20 odd Fellowship hobbits from eBay a while back, so that's 1/3rd of the army sorted! As I'd convert the normal Militia etc anyway (to have no models exactly the same), swapping some heads with a Merry, adding an axe to a Sam etc fits right in. Only problem is that it does take quite some time, and with a total of 67 models to be done...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Spacefrog wrote:
Wow, I've fiddled a bit with some Moria goblin lists, but I don't think I have ever reached that many models (Then again I have a hard time making those list without throwing in a troll or two

A Moria goblin captain and 12 goblin warriors (all with a single piece of equipment) are exactly 100pts, so they could have the same.. the Hobbit army is a bit more interesting though![/quote]

After posting that last one I tried making a list with as many goblins as possible, if you don't give them any equipment, the warband only costs 83 points which means you can put in a full 6th warband in for 498 points making the whole army 78 models!! :?
But as you said that is a pretty boring army, not to mention the prospect of buying and painting almost 80 goblins seems quite scary in itself (I've just finished 150+ mantic elves so it does not take much)