All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:59 pm

Post subject: Re: Knighty vs Thermo - Battle of Baconbutty
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Awesome mate! Can't wait to get in on some of that action.

You used the Rohirrim exactly as I was vaguely attempting to convey t use them in your army lists thread - it's all about guerilla warfare and manipulating your enemy's movements and weak points by using your enhanced maneuvrability and full compliment of bows.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A very enjoyable battle report and a very well fought one

I look forward to tomorrow's battle report and I very much appreciate the effort you put in to write these battle reports.

Keep it up!

LordElrond
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:11 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Another great report thermo.
Gonna get some tips from your good self about rohirrim.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks fellas, became a bit more mammoth than planned and I'm sure I've missed quite a lot of the detail but hope it was fun to read.

Knighty had tons of real good tactical analysis after so hopefully he chips in, corrects my errors and gives his useful insight.

I really really enjoyed playing the Rohirrim and sticking to a careful game plan based on the various tips, comments and observations of Rohan and particularly, using cavalry.

Probs still too green to give advice myself but without a doubt, I'll be using an all mounted Rohan list more often, more because it was so fun and felt more tactical.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

First off, just wanted to say a big thank you and round of applause to Thermo. Absolutely great guy and a quick learner, and on top of it all makes a great bacon butty ;)

Looking back there were quite a few things I would've done differently if I were to use this army again. First off, the Witch-King on fell beast. Normally I don't splash out on expensive models in smaller points, prefering a 'safe/sensible' army structure. But having just finished the conversion and painting and wanting to use the model in a game I threw caution to the wind!

Now, the primary effect it had was one of intimidation. On that part, it worked very well. However, I didn't follow through on it's potential . From the very beginning I wanted to use it as a model to frighten Thermo, hence taking out Eowyn swiftly. That was a mistake on my part though, rushing in and not prioritising properly - that should've been directed to one of the stronger heroes.

My other regret with the Witch-King was not using him more aggressively. Getting an early foothold on the middle ground I opted to sit on it, not wanting to be led into a game of chase the horsies. But the killer for that was having no archers to retaliate fire.

Thermo utilised his cavalry very well. Picking off from a distance, not rushing in, regrouping where necessary, then going in for the kill to contest the objective once he'd thinned out my ranks.

All in all a fantastic game, and it's definitely given me some ideas for future evil forces (up until now my return to the hobby has been purely playing good two shoes :))

Highlight of the match for myself - the turn where Thermo had every single Rider of Rohan firing at the Witch King and now a single shot struck home :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thank Knighty and likewise! I think that bacon butty should become a tradition for anyone who comes to my house for a game in the future! I only regret there won't be bacon sarnies tomorrow night in the hall!

The Witch-King on his fell beast was a beautiful model and as you say, certainly presented an initimidating presence on the battlefield. But as you also say, his contribution to the game was 2 or 3 kills so he didn't really earn his points back on this occasion.

More aggression particularly on his part would probably have changed the game a bit more as how it unfolded suited my own gameplan, but we were both experimenting on Saturday with new armies so it was a great learning experience for us both!

Haha great highlight Knighty! My own highlight was probably more to do with coming across a few things for the first time, such as having a rider hurled into other riders, playing against an Angmar army and a shade and overral just the afternoon with a new gaming pal!

I think it's also confirmed to me that I would like my own first "evil army" to be Angmar - The Ruin of Arnor just arrived through the post too!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Bacon rolls? I'm on my way :yum:

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Bacon rolls? I'm on my way :yum:

You're more than welcome anytime SD!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm in your house, eating your rolls (hence why I keep getting 6s!).
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Are you coming to doubles thermo? May have to pay a visit when invade knightys castle :D

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Are you coming to doubles thermo? May have to pay a visit when invade knightys castle :D

Ste sent me a text with a link before... Tempting! Will have to see... Who else is going??

When you invade Knighty's certainly pop to mine for some supplies :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Men, to the gates! A Dunedain approaches! :o

As for doubles - I'm ordering mine and muppetslayer's tickets tomorrow. I think Southy, though not coming for the event itself, will be turning up on the Sunday to be our cheerleader.

I think there's a couple of others who mentioning going, but the names escape me right now. Closer to the time I'm sure a sign-up thread will be set up :)