All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:38 pm

Post subject: Hunter orc army suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Alright I'll be honest, I like the hunter orc figures :oops: (i dont care that some have bald heads) but I have no
idea whatsoever of how to make a army list with them!

Im open to all suggestions.

Last edited by Thecow on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Goblin army suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:28 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hunter Orcs aren't Goblins, do you want advice on a Goblin Town list or an Orc Hunter list, or a list that uses both?

Post subject: Re: Goblin army suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

sorry 'bout that, clarified it up now.

Post subject: Re: Hunter orc army suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Okay, just general guides here.

In a smaller game, Azog and Bolg are just too expensive. Sure, they're beatsticks, but they cost rather a lot for a 500 point game. Instead, look to the cheaper named heroes who provide an excellent might-to-cost ratio.

Likewise, Hunter Orcs on foot are a remarkably efficient use of points, and while Internet wisdom states that mounting them is a waste, they can be used to great effect if one is careful.

Fell Wargs can likewise be very useful in the right hands, but are less efficient than Hunter Orcs. They make a very nice fast contingent, though (with some Cavalry backup, even nicer).

While the Hunters can take more bows than the average force, they are primarily a melee army and are unlikely to win the archery contest.

When it comes to allies, I suggest looking no further than Angmar. You get a Shaman with Fury, spear-armed Orcs for support, and an effective and inexpensive monster in the Cave Troll.

For reference, my 500 and 700 point lists look something like the following:

Fimbul on Warg
6 Hunter Orcs on Wargs with 3 Bows
6 Fell Wargs

Narzug
12 Hunter Orcs

Hunter Orc Captain
12 Hunter Orcs

at 700 points I add the following (again, give or take):

Angmar Orc Shaman
Cave Troll
11 Orc Warriors with Spears

Basically, lots and lots of attacks and not much in the way of defense. You're playing a glass cannon list, so get out there and fire.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Alright thanks for the idea.
But how will this work against high elves or the grey company?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Do not listen to JPR Roth with Hunter Orcs., Never give bows to mounted Hunter Orcs. Waste of points. Hunters Orcs on Fell Wargs in general are underpowerd, so do not waste points on giving them bows. they cost twice the pts of infantry archers, for not even twice the movement.

He's right about Bolg and Azog, wait until 1,000pts before inculding one of them, or they'll struggle to hold their wait, at 1,000pts however, they should do very well. Only get one of them though.

When mounted, Fimbul and Narzug are better becuase they don't loose an attack when mounted.

Mounted Hunter orcs do not actually get Extra Attack when they charge, they simply regain the attack they lost when you gave them a Warg. It makes sense fluffwise though as the extra weapobn gives them the extra attcak, and the can only hold one weapon whilst mounted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Do not listen to JPR Roth with Hunter Orcs., Never give bows to mounted Hunter Orcs. Waste of points. Hunters Orcs on Fell Wargs in general are underpowerd, so do not waste points on giving them bows. they cost twice the pts of infantry archers, for not even twice the movement.

So, there you are, having accomplished a glorious cavalry charge and done some damage. Now, if you win priority, you need to get the heck out of Dodge. If you lose priority, well, you need to burn some Might to get the heck out of Dodge.

The enemies that survived the charge (and there aren't a lot of them) are knocked down. The ones that won combat can move 6" and are 1" away from you. If you take bows, you can move 5" away and fire, then be in a good position to charge again next turn. If you didn't, well, you're SOL.

Of course, you won't be able to do this with every model--those enemies are going to move 6" and engage you. But it gives you options that you otherwise wouldn't have, and it does so in a far more effective way than simply going "Bows are for infantry." Plus, let's face it, we're talking about three points here.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Who ever wins priority in that situation is going to have to use might

1) if you win priority they wont want to risk you continuing the charge so call a heroic. You need to move so heroic.

2) if they win priority you are trying to get out of there so call a heroic but htey counter because htey are afraid you are going to charge.

THEN if you win the dice off and retreat and shoot you are hitting on 6's Killing naff all
FOLLLOWED by another turn where either
1) you win priority, they heroic move to stop you charging and you use might to keep the charge.
2) they win priority, you heroic to charge, they counter heroic to stop you charging.

Net effect with your method is lots of dice offs and too little damage.

Better off not having bows and just keep charging or pulling right back to set up for another charge next turn (without having to spend might to get that 2nd charge)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Absolutely, you will have to use might. That said, let's face it, if you move your full distance away, your opponent merely has to shuffle a little and you've wasted a turn.

Please note that I am not advocating putting bows on mounted Hunter Orcs as a matter of course. Rather, I am stating that when you are in an "X points left" situation, the bows have a tangential use on cavalry while foot Hunter Orcs are impeded by them.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

But Hunter Orcs on foot are not imoede by bows. They shoot in the first turn, maybe 2nd before the armies meet in combat. Since it's only spare pts. Thats what spare points are for.

Or, you can give 2-handed weapons to the infantry, they will have to be used in conjuction with hand-weapon armed warriors, and be supported by spears to work but why not? You don't have to use them either?

Both of these ideas are imo more effiecent uses of spare pts than cavalry. You do not want to waste might points.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ahhhhhhhh I get you now JP.
Yeah if you have 3pts left stick the bows on the wargs because you can move 5 and shoot while your army storms up.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Alright, thanks for the ideas, cant wait to test this out on my opponent *evil laugh*