All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:32 am

Post subject: Gday from Canberra
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi All,

I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself. I'm Rumtap or Patrick in the real world. I'm 40 and live in Canberra, Australia.

Many many moons ago way before the birth of LOTR SBG I became addicted to collecting Warhammer armies. I was new to painting so was very slow but i enjoyed the hobby and always had in my head how I wanted the armies i was collecting to end up.

Then GW updated the rules and half my army was no longer listed in the new rules. All the time and money i had put into the hobby was ignored by GW. I walked away from the hobby vowing to never fall for their marketing tricks again.

Years later LOTR SBG was realesed by GW. I resisted, ignored it looked away, stayed strong. But then my brother-in-law got the mines of moria box set. Come on lets both do armies he said, GW told me it would be one rule book to rule them all, they won't change it on us.

I have always loved LOTR and could no longer resist and I started collecting Gondor and Isengard. I have been to this site many times over the last few years for the excellent painting guides. You guys do very good work!

Anyway after the release of the hobbit I returned to the hobby which I had been neglecting. Of course i find that GW have tossed out the one rule book and are now asking $120 for a new one! I've ordered one on ebay, i refuse to buy new of GW now.

Anyway I decided to join this site to help get my head around the new rules and get back into the hobby. So anyone around Canberra looking for a game, please let me know!

Cheers
Rumtap

Post subject: Re: Gday from Canberra
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:39 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Patrick, welcome to the One Ring. I live in Adelaide, so I'm in the same quarter of the world but probably a bit too far away to get a game in anytime soon. :)

Will you be going to CanCon this year? I really must make the trip over for it, but it won't be this year unfortunately. If you do go, pay a visit to my good friend Nic Robson at the Eureka Miniatures stand and check out his awesome range of minis - not a lot of fantasy, but an awesome range of high quality historical stuff. He'll hopefully have a diorama set with a guillotine from the French Revolution, including the facade of a French farmhouse. I made the master model for that building! :)

There will be a few people there running LOTR SBG games I think, so hang around their tables and maybe you'll find someone who you can hook up with.

Enjoy the site and feel free to ask any questions about the game, the hobby or Middle-earth in general. If we can't help you, we'll just make stuff up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello Rumtap and welcome, hope you enjoy your stay here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Greetings and welcome!

I understand your pain and frustration on the outdating and eliminating of armies. I've heard similar stories from long time players of non-LotR GW games. Thankfully that hasn't happened with the LotR line. Some of the original armies are not as strong any more since they haven't had decent updates or a re-set of their profiles and costs (Gondor and Rohan suffer the most here IMO), but everything is still legal and viable. And to be honest, unless you are playing in a tournament or all your local players show up with maximized ("power game") lists for every game you can play the scenarios in the books with a list from about any army and be competitive.

And the new "Hobbit" rules are mostly evolutionary over the One Ring rule book. Likewise, the warband books you are picking up work either way. We are starting to play warband armies and scenarios now but still using the One Ring SBG rules in the game itself since none of us have shelled out the money for the new rules.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:14 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Greetings, and welcome to the One Ring!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks For the welcome all.

I do hope to go to cancon this year! I if do I'll check out the Eureka gang.

I am glad that GW hasn't removed models from the LOTR game (should i now call it The H game?). I feel that the LOTR minis are the best minis that GW does. far more lifelike than their other ranges. I just have issues with their pricing and methodology for releasing updates. I just feel like the customer always comes second.

Anyway i play on...