All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:37 am

Post subject: Drum's WW2 Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey folks, sorry I've been rather absent recently - life seems to be catching up with me. I bought some Bolt Action figures off Warlord along with the rulebook to give the WW2 stuff a go. So far I'm having great fun with these mini's, and it's nice to try a different set of rules too. They came this morning, so got my first model painted up. Also during the wait for them to be posted (which felt like ages) I got working on some quick terrain pieces. I've started a dug out trench area, perhaps for a AA gun, or maybe just a command base. As always Comments are welcome!

German Fallschirmjager (airborne)

That's as far as I've got so far
Drumstick
 Post subject: Re: Drum's WW2 Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Looks like you've put a lot of work into the above. Well done 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I really like your trench/bunker! Especially the woodwork. What rulebook did you buy? I have made my own rules up for my WW2 guys but I am willing to grab a few bits here and there to improve it. What sort of forces are you going to get?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hehe thanks. For the rulebook I bought the 'Rules of Engagement' which I'm in the process of reading now. A little confused thought, this isn't a warlord rulebook is it? So where do I find the stats for all the Warlord miniatures - I'm going German airborne.

Nice idea on creating your own rules, sounds fun. :D
Drum
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:48 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The Rules of Engagement book is sold by Warlords but is published by Great Escape Games. Warlords were originally a mini company but have branched out into rules writing recently and have just announced a partnership with Osprey Books to produce a WWII ruleset next year, called "Bolt Action" to be written by Rick Priestly and Alessio Cavatore - the two men behind the LOTR rules.

However, in the meantime, you'll find the information about different troop types in RoE starting on page 103 - the section titled Orders of Battle - and specifically, the Fallschirmjaeger (German Airborne) starts on page 123.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh ok cool that clears things up. What are the rules like? Are they more Flames of War style or more 40k style?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:36 am 
Administrator
Administrator

They are a very playable skirmish game. Being based around platoons and individual vehicles, this puts it closer to 40K in scale than Flames of War since each opponent will have between 20 and 40 men on the table. It's probably one of the best late-war WWII rulesets out there, and while it isn't particularly unique or innovative in its design, it still gives a good flavour of the period and rewards players for using real battlefield tactics (fire and movement).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Right thanks for the help, that makes things more clear.

Quick Update for you all:

Drum
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm loving that wooden board in the middle! Only suggestion i have is to avoid getting fingerprints on the sandbags. What I do is roll up a long piece of green stuff (almost like a string) and then cut with a sharp knife (has to be able to cut it all in one go) all the parts off. When the kinfe releases it gives the green stuff a traditional sandbag shape without having to use your fingers to shape them. If I'm not clear (proberly arn't) I'll draw a diagram.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ah yeah I see what you mean, great idea. That's a good tip, always had trouble with the fingerprint stuff. Cheers

Drum
 Post subject: Drum's WW2 Thread Update
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Right I've got the main piece now painted up and finished. I'm probably going to add more fancy bits now perhaps like barbed wire, camo net and some barrels/ammo stacks. Tell me what you folks think anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:33 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Stunning! Loving it. Just needs an AT or AA gun now! Bolt Action and Artizan do some very nice artillery pieces and I think CompanyB are about to release a 20mm Flakvierling AA gun too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just popped in to take a look, and wow! That's a very nice looking piece of terrain you've made. I can't see the fingerprints in the painted picture, though maybe that's becuase it's from farther away. It'll look even better once you have the random clutter that normally accompanies dug in positions.... :yay:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks really realistic! I like the bullet holes in the sand!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@Dagorlad: Oh thank you! It's always very nice to have comments on my work from one of our chief model/terrain makers here. Yep I was thinking along the idea of the AA gun, although I think I've made the trench a bit big so it'll look slightly odd when I've got a small AA gun inside - maybe some sort of ammo dump/command quarters? I will look into the Company B thing, cheers.

@theavenger: hehe, thanks. Yep I gave the sandbags a few coats - was originally black so added a white coat, along with two 'sandbag' colored paints. Certainly the small details always make the big picture.

@StickyFingers: That was actually a mistake, was just holes in the foam but as you said - bullet holes - improvised :D

Drum
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:04 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Depending on how wide it is at the bottom, you might fit an 88mm Flak gun in there - they measure about 10cm (4") across the base in 28mm scale. A Flakvierling AA gun is about 5cm wide, but you also need room for it to traverse on its base without hitting anything and for the crew to move around the gun.

And of course the Allies had their own weapons of varying sizes, so I don't think it will be too large. Put an artillery piece in there and cover it with a bit of camouflage netting and it will look magnificent.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Got an update on the models folks - sorry for being so inactive of recent months but I've been terrible busy with prelims, exams, uni interviews, studying and other terrible aspects of real life! :lol: Anywhoo I got some progress on my WW2 German airborne models so I thought I should show a face & post my work. I'm going to redo all the eyes as I was in a bit of a rush to finish them off and they look rather weird. The 2p bases worked a charm and sorry for the bad lighting in the pictures - should have taken some more time to get better lighting. I also found a spare moment to work on that camouflage net we talked about (yes I do realize that was AGES ago) but I think it's a little too high? What cha think? The material I used is actually the netting from oranges, which isn't a bad fit. I'm hoping to get myself a Tiger tank off the warlord site and get some more painting (+ terrain) done. ;)

Drumstick
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They look fantastic! I cant wait to see that net thing finished up. Reminds me alot of band of brothers.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@StickyFingers: Cheers man, yep it was loosely based on that infact.

I've started on a new project to build a 28mm french, destroyed house. I've just cut out the foam so haven't got far but I've tried a new method for the bricks - only I'm going to make the bricks themselves quite a bit smaller. I was struggling with getting the colors right, I'm not sure if they look too light or just not realistic.. Any idea's or help would be most helpful. Also tried to get the effect of a tank shell hitting the building, worked out not too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What I do is get a glue gun and just melt the foam with the end tip while its really hot. Play around with it first so you get an idea of what kind of shell blast you like.