All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:19 pm

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Isengard (split from Extra Units Thread)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Maybe they like to fight half naked and leave their travelling gear in the wagon train. Just because people have a national costume, doesn't mean they fight in them as well.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hithero wrote:
Maybe they like to fight half naked and leave their travelling gear in the wagon train. Just because people have a national costume, doesn't mean they fight in them as well.

1 Do you see Mahud having something as sophisticated as a wagon train?
2 Why would you fight half naked if you normally wear a full set of clothes and have access to armour (I think some of them wear wicker breastplates)?

:puppy:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ha! Well, just because I find this topic amusing I'll throw in my thoughts to the whirlpool of... something. Cognition, mayhaps?

Anyhow, Isengard is, well, not wonderful, because it is evil. But very nasty, yes. Though, imo, the Isengard Troll should not exist. As for Feral Uruks, I can't say that I like them, but then again, I don't have them, so that could have something to do with it, yes?

And regarding the very, VERY silly orc trackers- having shot a bow for a number of years, and done it well (I have had an excellent teacher), you don't fire a bow that looks like that and expect the arrow to go anywhere. Nor are you going to be particularly accurate if you are shooting a bow like that. The regular orcs have better shooting form that the orc trackers- in fact, the orcs on wargs and goblins have better form! Need I say more? I like the idea, but the model is... unfortunate. It lacks merit. Except, of course, as an ugly orc w/ d3, which makes just about any of my armies very happy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome to the site, Valamir.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. For some reason, Orc Trackers don't bother me that much. Nice thoughts on the Troll, glad I'm less lonely.

@Telchar & Valamir, concerning the Orc Trackers. Orcs are a fantasy race, for all you know, they may be able to defy the lasws of physices, maybe they're better archers because Sauron and hiss lesser magicians placed spells on the arrows to make them hit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:01 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you, Gothmog. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been frequenting the site as a guest for quite sometime now (before the hack) and have only recently decided to join. Such is life.

And no, I really don't like the troll. 'Tis a nice looking model with a bad theme. It just doesn't jive with the books, imo, though I could totally see a recruited cave troll (at night, of course).

And I like the theory regarding magical orc arrows. Out of the fourteen or so regular orc archers I have, it is a bad turn of shooting when less than seven of them hit. So much for statistics.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
@Telchar & Valamir, concerning the Orc Trackers. Orcs are a fantasy race, for all you know, they may be able to defy the lasws of physices, maybe they're better archers because Sauron and hiss lesser magicians placed spells on the arrows to make them hit.

Well, no. Because then the arrows would actually hit. :-D . An entire company of Orcs managed to miss Frodo, Gimli(I think) and Gandalf, when the Fellowship were being beautiful sitting ducks (in open boats, too busy with managing their boats around a rapid to resist or duck) and they had all the time to aim. Not to mention the outrageous shooting of the Moria Orcs (who are not a separate race in the books). Also, I just can't think of Sauron and the Nazgul going by every last of the +50000 Orc trackers to put spells (long, exhausting business) on each of their arrows. And I think that would just be totally out of character. And far too much of a strech to make an excuse for what is, basically, a horrible mini.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ah, orc trackers. If only thy miniature was a little more... I don't know... orcy? The proper adjective escapes me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Telchar wrote:

Well, no. Because then the arrows would actually hit. :-D . An entire company of Orcs managed to miss Frodo, Gimli(I think) and Gandalf, when the Fellowship were being beautiful sitting ducks (in open boats, too busy with managing their boats around a rapid to resist or duck) and they had all the time to aim. Not to mention the outrageous shooting of the Moria Orcs (who are not a separate race in the books). Also, I just can't think of Sauron and the Nazgul going by every last of the +50000 Orc trackers to put spells (long, exhausting business) on each of their arrows. And I think that would just be totally out of character. And far too much of a strech to make an excuse for what is, basically, a horrible mini.

Who said thre were 50,000 Orc Trackers? Sauron didn't need to many scouts, he wouldn't have had more than a couple of hundred at most, and I also meant Black Numenorean magicians would be doing ,most of the spell work. I still like the Orc Trackers because they came from a time when virtually all LOTR models looked like LOTR models,and thus every model from that time period or before (except Bombadil and a few others) just seems like a very good model to me no matter what you say about them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Telchar wrote:

Who said thre were 50,000 Orc Trackers? Sauron didn't need to many scouts, he wouldn't have had more than a couple of hundred at most, and I also meant Black Numenorean magicians would be doing ,most of the spell work. I still like the Orc Trackers because they came from a time when virtually all LOTR models looked like LOTR models,and thus every model from that time period or before (except Bombadil and a few others) just seems like a very good model to me no matter what you say about them.

Well, not necessarily 50.000, just a LOT, and I picked 50.000 because it signifies a LOT, without being so cliché as "tens of thousands" :twisted: . They aren't just scouts (of which an army the size of Mordor's would want several thousands) but also his "police dogs" in that they find any rebels/enemies who are hiding (aka Rangers), and then they support the big fighty orcs in killing them. That adds another 5-6000.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am sure Sauron would use Warg Riders as "police dogs" , and as scouts as well. Maybe Orc Trackers are just very good Warg Riders?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am sure Sauron would use Warg Riders as "police dogs" , and as scouts as well. Maybe Orc Trackers are just very good Warg Riders?

No, Mordor doesn't have any Wargs in the Books, and the only Orc tracker mentioned is on foot and acting as "police dog".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Mordor does have Wargs in the book:

"Not all of Sauron's servants and chattels are wraiths. There are orcs and trolls, there are wargs and werewolves..."

And is mentioned somewhere else to.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mordor does have Wargs in the book:

"Not all of Sauron's servants and chattels are wraiths. There are orcs and trolls, there are wargs and werewolves..."

And is mentioned somewhere else to.

Yup, but those are the Wargs of the Misty Mountains, not the ones in Mordor. Gandalf even calls the Warg Chief "Hound of Sauron".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If Sauron has not Wargs, then the Shire has not Hobbits, Moria has not goblins/orcs, Rivindell has not Elves, Isengard hads not Orcs, Rohan has not horses...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Epic win GothmogTheWerewolf 8) :D :rofl:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If Sauron has not Wargs, then the Shire has not Hobbits, Moria has not goblins/orcs, Rivindell has not Elves, Isengard hads not Orcs, Rohan has not horses...

Sauron is not Mordor. Mordor is but a piece in the game of chess Sauron plays with Middle-Earth, so to speak. Maybe it's the Queen, but it's just a piece. Sauron has Wargs, certainly, but only in his Misty Mountains armies, not in the ones in Mordor (and he couldn't have moved them, try moving a large (10000 or so, to be relevant) army through enemy territory, it ain't gonna work. As such, Mordor couldn't have Wargs.

Hilbert wrote:
Epic win GothmogTheWerewolf 8) :D :rofl:

Except it makes no sense :P .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

There are mountains in Mordor for the Wargs to live in, and I doubt there would not be that many of them. And you seem to be assuming that the Wargs are hostile to the Orcs, when they would not be. In anycase, I do not believe that many if any of the Mordor Wargs were bred in Mordor, but that, like horses, human warriors and slaves etc, they would have been brought in. He only needed a handful for scouts to ride and for his Captains to ride the most willing beasts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm sure wargs could have lived on the plains of gorgoroth if the beasts could have... although the beasts are PJ's creation, I think Tolkien had wrote about great beasts roaming in gorgoroth but was very vague about it, but i have no proof.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I agree, though Wargs tend to be more montainous terrain, in Tolkien's works, the great beast that pulled Grond were most likely Mumakil, but within Mordor itself, there are likely other creatures, most if not all have never been seen elsewhere, such as the Fell Beasts and Shelob and her brood, and most may have died out when the Ring was destroyed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And you seem to be assuming that the Wargs are hostile to the Orcs, when they would not be.

Where did you get that idea? I don't think that at all. I meant that between the Misty Mountains and Mordor there is either the land of the Beornings (who hate wargs) and the Wood Elves (who hate wargs), or first the Beornings and then the elves of Lothlorien (who hate wargs), or Rohan, and then through the heartland of Gondor (whose opinion on wargs, I trust, is well known).

[quote= "Gothmogthewerewolf"]In anycase, I do not believe that many if any of the Mordor Wargs were bred in Mordor, but that, like horses, human warriors and slaves etc, they would have been brought in. He only needed a handful for scouts to ride and for his Captains to ride the most willing beasts.[/quote]

Then the Trackers won't have had them 8) .