All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:54 pm

Post subject: WOTR Battle Report Angmar vs Dwarves 2,000pts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hello all, I will start by explaiining that there will be no pictures of the battle because my camera ran out of battery just as I started to take the first pic. I had Angmar of course and Richard had Dwarves. Firstly the lists, I took:

Epic Heroes
The Witch-king of Angmar
The Dwimmerlaik
The Tainted
Gothmog

Legendary formations:
Gulavhar, the Terror of Arnor
Buhrdur

Common Formations:
Ghostly Legion (3 c's) with Cptn
Spectral Host (3 c's)
Angmar Orc Warbnad (6 c's) with 2-handers
Angmar Orc Warband (3 c's) with bows
Morannon Orc Warband (4 c's) with shields
Warg Pack (4 c's)

Rare Formations:
Shade
Werewolf Pack
Gundabad Blackshields (3 c's) (proxied gobbos)

He took approx:

Epic Heroes:
Dain
Balin
Faramir
Elladan
Elrohir

Legendary Formations:
The Three Hunters

Common Formations:
Dwarf Kinband (6 c's) with 2-handers, hornblower
2 x Dwarf Kinband (3 c's) with shields
2 x Minas Tirth Knights (3 c's)

Rare Formations:
2 x King's Champions (proxied SQ's)
Khazad Guard (4 c's) with hornblwr
Dwarf Ballistas (2 c's)

I can't remember every detail, we decided that he should deploy 1st and me 2nd, then he chooses who goes first, shieldwalls deployment, fight to the death. He set up his ballistas on elevated terrain, he had his dwarves across the middle, with cavalry near the flanks, Dain was in Khazads (scary looking), he had twins split up, the one with ES to his right, and the one with ED to his left. Balin was in Dwarves w shields, and Farimir in the big dwarf formation. The Kings Chmapions and 3 Hunters were to his rear.

I had orcs w 2-handers near centre with Witch-king in it, behind them were the Spectres led by the Tainted, to the near right were the Blackshields with the Shade behind them and the Ghosts behind them. To the near left was the wargs with Gothmog. To the far right were my orc archers, right next to defensible terrain, with Gulavhar behind them. To the right flank (the one with his ballistas), were mty Morannons, with the Dwimmerlaik and the w'wolf pack to their left. Buhrdur was placed in ambush in the terrain right next to his ballistas.

He chose to go first, and did little movement, don't remember much, but I advannced with most of my forces, the archers into the terrain, The ghosts moved left, the morannons spread out with w'wolves right behind them. My Ringwraith started casting spells (well they tried) the Witch-king's spell in the first turn were succesful, but I made poor judgment with choices, so although all 3 spells worked, I forgot to cast SfC and then for some reason advanced his formation against dwarves with Balin in a terriagn featutre (the W'k was in range of my Shade, but his Balin was not oops). The Tainted and the W'K succesfufully Black-darted someone. The Tainted AtD Spirit Walking. THe Dwimmerlaik failed to cast a single spell.

His ballistas fired at my w'wolves killing 4. My archers had moved into terrain so could not shoot. We mived to charges, he didn't do any, but I foolishly charged the W-K's orcs into the dwarves in terrain without their SfC. Balin called an ES duel against him, and that was the end of him, and took 6 orcs wiith him. Many more were killed in the combat for the loss of only a couple of dwarves. The formation was disorded and several more orcs died of fright.

After that it went from bad to worse, I can't remember as much of the rest of the turns, or what happened in what turn, so this may not be 100% accurate. In the 2nd turn, i decided that Gulavhar wouldn't do anygood where he was and moved him as fast as he coul left, taking the route all close to the table edge as possible so that he remained out of shooting range. In this turn, the disorded orcs remained disorderd so I decided to protect their flanks, the left with ghosts and the right with Blackshields. For the next few turns the Shade prooved useful. With spells, the Tainted reduced some dwarves courage by 3 but the Dwimmerlaik still couldn't cast anything. Gothmog moved out of the wargs and into the Morannon Orcs, with the wargs protecting their right flank.

In the shooting, the ballistas did little, making no kills, and my orcs w bows killed 1 KoMT frommy right. In charges, some knight on the left, charged the werewolves, and 6 companies of dwarves charged 4 companies of Morannon Orcs and 3 c's of dwarves charbed my wargs. The disorded orcs were charged by a King's Champion and the Blackshields by the Khazad Guard, the ghosts and dwarves refused to charge each other. In this phase, my w'wolves were splatted before they could strike, the Morannons lost half their number whilst only killing half a company of dwarves, Farimir (in the dwarves) called an ES duel againsdt the Dwimmerlaik (I forgot his special rule) and called Epic Sacrifice (hence the few losses), and Gothmog retaliated against Farimir. The Dwimmerlaik beat Farimir, but falied to kill him, then Farimir beat Gothmog but failed to kill him. The wargs also lost half their number against dwarves, and also killed few in return. Because of the Shade, the Blackshields had more attacks than the Khazad, and the fight was pretty stalemate, but he won. The orcs couldn't harm the champion (being disorded) and took heavy losses.

In the next turn, Gulavhar continued to AtD across out of ballista range, my spectres tried to AtD forward and backards to some dwarves after a succesful Sunder Spirit, to leave the ghosts to fight them, but the ATD failed, forcing them to sticki in combat range. The Shade moved to the centre to a position were all of my and his formations except those to the left flank were in range. The orcs remained disorded. The Blackshields were steadfast, and proceeded to Khazads. My Morannons moved back a little, the Dwimmerlaik continued his streak of not casting a single spell. My ghosts entred defensive terrain. In his movement, the wargs (who were in fact all killed) so that meant, he could trap my Morannons, the Dwarves centre, smaller dwarves right and knights left. One Kings Champion prepared to hit the blackshields, the other and the 3 hunters against what was left of the orcs with 2-handers. In combat the Morannons were destroyed, I used all of Gothmog's remaining might to make more kills. The orcs w 2-handers were also destroyed, the spectres took heavy losses. A company of Blackshields was destroyed allowing his Champion to move past wih Heroic fights.

In the next turn Gulavhar fought the now 4 company formation of dwarves with 2-handers, he survived, killing the ES twin with a duel he called, and killed many dwares whilst only suffering 2 wound counters. The Blackshields were destroyed and a King's Champion killed the shade. The Spectres with the Tainted were destroyed, taking all Balin's might. The orcs w bows who had left terrain feature were also destroyed thanks to a cavalry charge in the rear. The ghosts took a couple of casuaties from ballistas.

In the next turn, I brough Buhrdur out of ambush and put him behind the ballistas. Before moving, I examined the table, all I had left were Buhrdur, Gulavhar and the Ghosts, and he had most of his army. In this turn, the Ghosts were wiped out taking several dwarves with them, and Gulvahar killed some dwarves with 2-hander and won the fight, Burhdur wiped out the ballistas.

Then Gulavhar was killed, taking more dwarves with him, Buhrdur advanced and wiped out the cavalry. In the next turn Buhrdur was all I had left, but decided to take it to the death, Buhrdur was fighting the 3 hunters, a King's champion and the 2 comapnies of dwarves left from the 6c fromation. He killed a company of the latter, but was killed himself.

THe end result. A major loss. My army was completely wiped out, and all of his that were killed was Faramir, one twin, the ballistas, most of the 6c formation, one formation of knights and a handful of models from every other formation.

What have I learned. 1. If I ever use the W-K again, don't put him naywhere near a Shade. 2. Buy some Carn Dum 3. Ally in Khamul, 4. Don't use werewolves. 5. Buhrdur is very good as is Gulavhar. 6. Don't be dependent on spells (the Dwimmerlaik didn't even cast a single one).

Thank you for reading :-D

Post subject: Re: WOTR Battle Report Angmar vs Dwarves 2,000pts
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You know I would reply, didn't you?
Althought you lost I see you learned a lot of things that will be useful in your future games... 8)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

just use uruk berserkers or half trolls as werewolves

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Probably you mean in place of Werewolves... :)
Berserkers would be great... One of my opponents in a test event day where it gave us the possibility to learn how to play...
We played the Fords of Isen and althought I won the berserkers slaughtered Theodred knights reducing them to one company...
They are strong and if I didn't charged them every turn they would have killed far more of my warriors...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:10 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

yes, that's what i mean, learning the rules of SBG now again, as my local Shop(not a GW, just a model shop) only has SBG tournaments(one every month, and if you win much, you will get a golden dice :D )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Thank you for the comments guys, (Hilbert the army lists are for you), speaking of which the dwarves also had the counterspell fortune but never used it because my Ringwraiths kept failing their spells).

Concerning Werewolves, bezerkers and Half Trolls. It's not my fault that half trolls and bezerkers are better but cost less points, and the main problems with using them are 1. they take up ally points, I'd rather have Gothmog and Morannons. 2. it wouldn't feel right, telling people that these w'wolves are in fact bezerkers/half trolls. 3. bezerkers have 2-handed weapons, and if i used half trolls, i'd give them 2-handers as well. i don't want to use werewolves with 2-handed weapons.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

1) thanks for putting the army lists for em my good friend :-D
2) I wouldn't like either saying, 'Hey this are not half trolls, they are werewolves.' :E
3) We just gave advice but it's up to you to do whatever you want... I wish you better luck next time 8)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

if doing so, it'd be half trolls, don't like isengard uruks, even if they're pretending to be werewolves.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes... In the end we will say that Saruman is Gandalf :lol:
Anwyay good luck... You can now get more army as you get rid of werewolves... 8)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

yes, 1c of werewolves = 4c of Carn Dum, I need to buy some.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I will also use them in the future :twisted: