All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:45 pm

Post subject: The Angmarrim attack the Galadhrim WotR Battle Report
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I just posted on my blog a run down for a battle I played at the start of the month, so I thought I'd throw a teaser in here for anyone who wanted to check it out. If you want to read the entire thing, here's the direct link for today's post with the battle report: http://imaginarywars.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/not-lightly-does-one-battle-the-elves-of-lorien/ .

The battle was against my friend, who was playing his army (Galadhrim) for the first time...though he has played the game two or three times previously--that and he's also a die-hard 40k player--so it was less a game of me teaching him how to play and more a game of him (and me!) coming to grips with his new army.

For my part, I was playing an Angmar force that was more Orc-heavy than it was spirit heavy.

Here's the opening paragraphs from the battle report:

Quote:
After rolling our mission and with the two armies coming to grips being from Angmar and Lothlorien, I liked thinking that the story behind this battle was that the evil minions of Angmar descended upon Galadriel and Celeborn as they led a complement of their Galadhrim through the Weather Hills–probably journeying to the Elven Havens of Lindon. Why the Galadhrim would travel from Lothlorien (just south of the eastern entrance of Moria) to the Grey Havens on the western coast of Middle Earth by way of the Weather Hills (just north of Weathertop) is anyone’s guess. Who knows what lured the Elves of Lorien into the empty lands that were once the Dunedain’s kingdom of Arnor?

Before the game started, we rolled ‘Battle for the Pass’ for the game’s set up and ‘Seize the High Ground’ for its mission. This meant our objective was a ‘high point’ in the center of the table, and we were playing length-wise down the table—a board that had hills touching each table edge but nothing in the table’s center apart from some moveable rough terrain with some broken columns. So the game was less the fight for a hill in the middle of a mountain pass and more a fight for a rough patch of ground in the middle of a hilly causeway–possibly through some low mountains or tall foothills.

(I was going to just cut-and-paste the whole thing here, but there's enough pictures that I thought it would be easier this way.)

(Say....posting a topic that asks guys to go to my blog isn't against the rules, is it? If it is against the rules, just let me know and throw the whole battle report up here--I'm not trying to cause any trouble by doing it this way.)

Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited by Lost Cardolan on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: The Angmarrim attack the Galadhrim WotR Battle Report
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't think it is against the rules - and a few of us do it - but a direct link to the actual post would be nice, to save scrolling once you make another update! :) I'm going to go and read it now. I saw it pop up in my blogroll and had been looking forward to reading it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Done!

Thanks for the tip, Xelee!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sorry the first response was a nit-pick, I hate getting that as a first-response to my threads. I read the report (and left a comment under Scott B's) and thought your AAR bit was pretty spot-on and I expect you will begin to get the better of him once you get comfortable with your army, make some small changes and get the whole thing working properly as a whole. There is a learning curve to any good war-game after-all.

Mostly, I liked what you had in the list and agree that a combo of a Counsellor + Radagast can be pretty frustrating (given terror / sunder spirit is also in the mix) and think that I'd be looking to hit them at range with the evil lists and rely on superior numbers. If he has a Counsellor + Radagast, then I suggest you should have both the Tainted and Dwimmerlaik but that this just makes it easier for you and is not strictly necessary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey no worries with the nit-pick, I stress enough over other peoples' misuse of words like lose/loose, there/their/they're and then/than that it's only proper that I be kept in line and humble! 8)

The only thing about this battle report that really bruises my ego is that I've been playing (albeit sporadically) since the game was released and have a good 20 or so games under my belt. My opponent has played, like, three times. And he just worked me! (NOT a big deal, but it does remain a tad embarrassing!)

I've already experienced a huge defeat at the hands of lance-armed Gondorians and an all-mounted Rohirrim army...and I have yet to work on anything new to counter my army's inherent susceptibility to cavalry. So I was hoping that going up against an (essentially) all-infantry Elf army would be a close-fought game for me, win or lose. Sadly it wasn't to be.

I'll have to re-think my list. My original thoughts behind the army was to run a "combined arms" of Angmar list; that is, the army of Angmar as it goes to war: legions of orcs & evil men fighting under the Witch King's banner and alongside raised spirits and the fauna of the north (so: some ghosts & Barrow Wights, hill trolls, wild wargs and bats as well).

The list I took to that game was a pale imitation of the combined arms idea...perhaps if I go back and rework the list to convey the theme more accurately I'll find some inspiration as to what to do with my list to counter Elves, horse and lances (oh my!).

Thanks for the comments on the blog--and here!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:45 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Cardolan I like your report, Also at turn 6, you mentioned Buhrdur was too far away to charge anything. From the pics it looked like if he ATD'd then he'dbe in charge range. Oh and don't let any moster that isn't extremely hard to kill in enemy bowsight. Keep them hiden behind your lines. Your Shade at least could have survived.
In the cas of the fell beast, it would've been better to field it as an epic for 4 reasons: 1 it would be less fragile, 2: it costs less points so you could get two, 3: it would make the list legal (you're slightly over the allies limit) and 4: it would be better thematically (they weren't bred till later)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:01 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

haha the problem with waiting 2 weeks until doing an after-action write up: some details escape you! I can only remember frustration with Buhdur's position and how the Galadhrim were very canny with their movement--it's quite likely he failed a terror test to charge them (they were courage-draining everything they could).

I agree with what you say about the fell beast: my problem is I'm dazzled by models...so I mean to NOT take a model, but when assembling my force, its coolness works its way into the army. Yeah the Shade was a bit of my own fault...sometimes it's hard to keep your wits when everything is falling apart though :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

very well written report, that was a good game. your friend seemed almost impossible to get any kills against, that must have been really tough.