All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:44 pm

Post subject: Campaign idea (ROUGH)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I believe this is the right place to post this, but if not, please advise me and we can move it.

So basically, I have been craving a meaningful scenario game, where losing a hero has real consequences, not just a loss of a model, and losing a battle is a real loss, not just a game well played. Here is my idea thus far, if you guys have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

So to start off, this would be a series of games played by the same players. The ultimate goal is to win victory at the final map.

Both players start off by deciding on their armies assets. For this example, im going to pit rohan vs isenguard. For example:

Rohan's Assets:
Small Village (provides throwing spears for free at the final battle)
Evacuation (provides +10% points to the final battle)
Call for Aid (Ally will arrive at the final battle)

Last Resort: Helm's Deep

Isenguard's Assets
Weapons Cache (provides pikes and crossbows for free at the final battle)
Supply Chain (provides +10% points to the final battle)
(insert scenario here) (Ally will arrive at the final battle)

Last Resort: Isenguard

Optional: Rescue Hero (Hero is free for final battle)

So it would play out like this: both players roll a dice, and the winner takes initiative and chooses to attack one of the other players assets. Should the attacker win, the bonus is lost for their opponent. For example, Isenguard attacks Rohan's evacuation scenario, and is victorious not only in winning the scenario, but has captured Eomer as well (just defeating him and winning the battle). Now rohan will no longer get their +10% point bonus for the final battle. (Note: you can bring as many or as little named hero's as you want in any scenario, but if they are captured, you may no longer use them anymore.)

Now Rohan is hurting, and wants vengance, however they can also try to do a rescue mission and rescue Eomer as well now.

Each player is only allowed to 'attack' three times however. So in this case, Rohan must forfeit one of their missions to Isenguard now as they have 4 missions but can only complete 3 before the end. Any scenario's that are not played are instantly awarded to their owner, so if Rohan chose to rescue Eomer, and never attempts to destroy Isenguards weapons cache scenario, Isenguard is awarded that bonus. Any hero's that are not freed by the end of the 6 scenario's are executed and may not be used in the final battle, however generic no name captains may not be captured and are in plentiful supply.

So lets say Rohan won 3 attacks and Isenguard won 3. There will be a "kill em all" point battle to determine who is the victor of the skirmishes, but if either side won more skirmishes, then they are granted the offensive. So let's say Rohan makes a comeback, wins the 7th tie breaking scenario. Then Rohan (along with any bonus' they may have secured will attack Isenguard. If Rohan wins, they are awarded the major victory, and if Isenguard wins, they are both awarded a minor victory.

My goal with this is to make battles that have a meaning in a more grand scale. Retreating a hero from a lost cause will be a good strategy so they are not captured, not just handing the enemy a quicker victory, and players will be less inclined to just throw their heros into the front lines.

Well there you have it. What I have thought of so far. What do you guys think? It obviously needs more fleshing out, but as the title says, this is just a rough idea so far.
 Post subject: Re: Campaign idea (ROUGH)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Problem is when you make a battle so important, then once you lose the first battle, your kinda screwed for the rest of the game. I would include a turn limit, and whoever has the most amount of points of something wins (whether it is victories or not)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The scenario's are picked and built by the players (unless you boys really want me to go ahead and make one for each bonus) and are not affected by the bonus'. Only the final battle would be affected. So if you lost every scenario, your going to get your butt whooped in the final battle regardless and you need to work on your army, but if players can win at least 50% of the scenario's leading up to the final battle, then it should be a pretty climactic and meaningful way to end the campaign.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think it sounds like a really great concept! My sister and I are struggling with finding ways to make the result of individual scenarios important in the campaign. What we decided for this campaign is that the winner may bring any dead model back to the board as a reinforcement. Only one reinforcement may come and this can only be used once. (we play small scenarios, around 25 v 15.

I'll be exited to watch this pan out and hopefully down the road can use this exact campaign concept as my sister collects rohan and ice decided to focus on Isengard. Would also give us an excuse to build helms deep and/or Orthanac(sp?) ehh? :twisted:

Keep the ideas flowing!

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What or where is "Isenguard"? :?

Joking aside, I think it's a great idea. Having consequences applied to games makes it more interesting and meaningful. One thing you might want to think about is to have a hero assigned to each scenario or location, so that the player is risking something and not being "overprotective" of their heroes.