All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:34 am

Post subject: Gondorian Gloves and Belts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Following on from my thread on Gondorian Skin (thanks for all the help), I'm now looking for advice on how to paint my Warriors of Minas Tirith's gloves and belts. I was thinking Charadon Granite for the gloves and Dark Flesh for the belts. Any other ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'd probably either just go with Chaos Black highlighted by Codex Grey, or Schorched Brown highlighted by mixing in some Bleached Bone. Simple, but effective. :)

You seem to painting a lot of WoMT's, have you checked out the painting articles on them in the library? Here they are in case you haven't...

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php ... icle&k=181

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php ... ticle&k=49

Those two articles sahould contan all you need to know about painting WoMT's. :wink:

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't really want to go into as much detail as those two articles...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

General Elessar wrote:
I don't really want to go into as much detail as those two articles...

The second one shouldn't prove too difficult or time consuming. the most important area on the WoMT's is their armor, and that article mostly uses a combination of drybrushes and washes which make it fairly easy. As for the other areas, all you have to do is cut out some of the highlighting stages to make it a little easier. :)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Maybe... I having so much trouble with my Gondor army. How much detail should I use? Should I have a colour scheme? If so, what colour? Should I bother keeping in mind what models I might get in the future? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

General Elessar. Some questions for you to answer, that might help you with this army:

1. Are you trying to win a Golden Demon, Best Painted Army award, or do you want to just have them painted to tabletop standard?

The answer to this question should give you the amount of detail you want to go into.

2. Do you plan to use Gondor on its own or with allies, and would you prefer to have uniformity among your allies?

Answering this question should tell you whether or not to keep in mind what models you get in the future.

3. What are you using as reference, a description in a book, a picture or a movie, or none?

If you're not using a reference, I recommend it. Find a paint scheme you like, and try to replicate it. Just make sure it's not one that has been done in your area if your answer to 1. was Golden Demon or best painted.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

1) Tabletop standard.

2) Not sure about including allies. Would like to have uniformity among allies (if I take them), but not essential.

3) I think I've decided I am going for a colour scheme. A blue-grey, to be exact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I find models like Warriors of Minas Tirith difficult to paint effectively, as there is very little variety in their colour scheme, unless you feel like doing something bold. If done well they can look very effective, otherwise they look quite dull. I would recommend at least one highlight for the gloves and belt, reguardless of your colour choice. Even a rough highlight can make an enormous difference to the overall appearance of the model. Also, I would like to emphasise the importance of these small details. They deserve as much attention as the larger ones.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I haven't done any highlighting. Ever. I'll give it a go though. In your opinion, should I bother painting the eyes? Also, are there any highlights or anything I should apply to the sword? Rather than simply painting it Mithril Silver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, if you haven't done much highlighting, I would recommend the following process for painting the metal areas. Mithril Silver or Chainmail (Chainmail is probably the better of the two, but I'm not sure as I have never purchased it). Wait for that to dry completely (or work on a different area of the model) then apply a black ink wash (they have changed the name to Badab Black). The wash should be 1 part ink, maybe 1 part water. I'm not sure excatly, whatever you feel comfortable with. You want it to be thick enough to make the recesses dark, but no so thick that it makes everything dark (making everything a little bit darker is ok, you just don't want it to be black). Then you wait for that to dry completely, usually an hour or so. Once that is done, reapply your preferred metallic colour over the raised areas, and the areas more ink has dried than you would have liked. For a sword, you would apply this to the edges, and to a smaller extent, the raised part that runs down the centre of the sword (if Men of Gondor swords have this.. I have forgotten).

My standard isn't quite high enough to try painting eyes on every single warrior yet. At the moment I only bother painting the eyes of heroes and horses. If you feel you are up to it though, don't let me stop you.

One final note. If you want the armour to have a blueish tinge, you can mix a blue ink with the black one, or mix Regal Blue with it if you have the colour handy and don't want to buy an ink you will probably rarely use. Just be careful when using normal paints as washes. There doesn't seem to be an article on this, which is a real shame.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll actually use Boltgun Mail; I find Mithril Silver too light, and I want to save chainmail for my elites (Citadel Guard, Dol Amroth Knights, etc.).