All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:45 am

Post subject: Gondor versus Harad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My friend Chris stopped by my house today to drop of some sweet Harad terrain for Adepticon. The side benefit of him coming today was that we had a chance to play a "friendly". What a perfect chance to put my Gathering in the Desert tournament army on the table. The last bonus was that since I finished flocking my Realm of Battle game table, we got to use that too. Believe it or not, this is the first real game I've ever played in my home. Chris brought an Army of Gondor featuring armored Faramir (on horse), 8 Knights of Minas Tirith, a bunch of Warriors of Minas Tirith, Damrod, and a host of Rangers of Ithilien.

We rolled for scenarios and drew To Kill a King. I don't recall every playing that scenario in a normal LOME event - we did play it at the Clash of the Heroes in Las Vegas last year. I had set up the Realm of Battle game board with a hill on each table edge and a valley in the middle. We rolled for terrain and scattered it throughout the valley.

Chris deployed first in a sweeping arc taking up most of his deployment line. He had 16 archers towards the north end of the board (north from my perspective). He had a solid shield wall with Warriors of Minas Tirith and spear supporting Rangers. Faramir and his KoMT were safely tucked behind the WoMT. I deployed with my archers on the hill and then formed an arc with my Mahud warriors supported by Haradrim Spears. My cavalry contigent lined up behind my front line as well.

The first turn saw only a single volley shot from men of Gondor with no damage inflicted. The haradrim moved full, skipping the opportunity to volley fire. In the second turn, both armies entered into direct fire range. The haradrim stuck first felling two armored Warriors of Minas Tirith. The Gondorians would have none of that and opened fire at the advancing Mahud line, dropping FOUR Mahud warriors in their first try. Scratching my head, I was suddenly put on the defensive a little bit. I moved my King towards the barrow that was blocking the middle of the field. I moved roughly half my infanty troops towards the right side of the barrow. I tried to reform my line with the section of Mahud that were slaughtered. I put the haradrim up front to be a meat shield in case there was another wave of deadly bowfire. On his move, Chris darted Faramir and 4 Knights across the board towards the barrow. This move proved to be a critical mistake in that my archers had a direct line of sight to Faramir. I unleashed 12 poisoned arrows and scored several hits. When the damage was rolled, I'd killed Faramir's horse and put two wounds on Faramir himself! He saved both with fate but the damage was done.

The next turn saw Faramir call a heroic move to get some of his KoMT with a charge. Young Suladan was directing his cavalry into a line of Rangers and WoMT on the northeast side of the barrow. Supported by a couple Mahud warriors and a half troll, that group made short work on the Men of Gondor. I did leave my cavalry a bit too exposed and Chris managed to shoot a camel from underneath a Raider. In that turn, I survived the charge of the KoMT without any damage, even managing to kill two Knights on the strength of the Mahud. The next turn saw 3 heroic moves called (evil had priority). Faramir won the roll-off but still wasn't able to pull away completely from the Mahud. However, with heroic moves from both the Mahud Tribesmaster and Young Suladan, I was able to engage a good chunk of his fighting force. Faramir had to burn his last point of might to win this fight. Elsewhere on the battlefield the remaining KoMT were charging up the hill to attack my archers. Once engaged, I decide to shoot into combat. I managed to kill one of my own guys but did run the gauntlet of dice roll to kill a KoMT (roll to hit, pass the in the way, hit the rider, then roll a '6').

The next turn, saw evil winning priority again. Damrod called a heroic move and Young Suladan countered. I won the roll-off for the first time of the day. I tied up Damrod and poured a Haradrim Raider, 2 Mahud warriors and spear support onto Faramir. In the ensuing combat, the best hat Faramir could roll was a 5. With 8 dice being thrown on my side, I managed to roll a 6. The subsequent rolls to wound saw the Prince of Ithilien cut down on the battlefield.

The end result was a Major Victory for the Haradrim. Chris put up a good fight but in the end, the ill-fated turn when he left Faramir exposed to the archers (with exceptionally lucky rolls to hit and wound for me) spelled his doom. I had a lot of fun playing this game and I think I'll definitely be trying to make the trip up to Layton Plaza to play some games. Anyway, thanks for the warm-up game Chris!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

nice battle report... though it would be good if you would post the army lists too jus to be clearer but other than that a great report :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You're right! I had put my army list out one another smaller forum that I belong too and forgot that it wasn't included here.

Here's my army:
Serpent Horde:
1x Haradrim Chieftan, Horse, War Spear (Young Suladan)
12x Haradrim Warrior Bow
18x Haradrim Warrior w Spear
4x Haradrim Raider, Lance
2x Sepent Rider

Far Harad:
1x Mahud Tribesmaster, Shield
6x Mahud Warrior
6x Mahud Warrior w/ Blowpipe
1x Half-Troll, 2H Weapon
1x Half-Troll,
2x Mahud Raider, War Spear
-------------------
54 Models. 4 Might. 12 Bows / 6 Blowpipes. 9 Cavalry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

sounds like a fun game nice battle report i love reading battle reports with pictures :)

Gothmog: "Move into the city. Kill all in your path."
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice report!

how useful were the blowpipes in the field?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice bat rep and congratz on the win.

2 things...

1. If you do another, could you get a shot of the forces as they look after deployment, before the game begins.

2. In your experiences, how big a challenge is the Mahud's low courage? I like the models, especially the half-Trolls and fancy making a force, but it seems a bit of a gamble.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I purposefully left off the deployment pictures to hide the unpainted models :wink:

I absolutely love the Mahûd. Their low courage really stinks against terror causing enemies (especially entire Black Numenorian Armies). However, I've probably played 15 games using Mahûd warriors and I've only been broken a couple of times. If you don't get broken, the courage doesn't matter all that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Cool, cheers Brent. I'll thank you just now, and silently curse you when I begin another new army...

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

hehe against my Dead army it wouldn't have a chance but still Mahud are great .

and if I would have known that such kind of diffrent Harad minis would have come out I would have starting to collect defenitly a Harad army with lots lots of Mahuds :rofl:

Sooo the camels and Half trolls are good? ei? well its good too hear /read see etc. :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mouth-of-Sauron wrote:
hehe against my Dead army it wouldn't have a chance but still Mahud are great .

Not if you can't win the fight. Playing against the AotD would be a challenge but I think the Mahûd would still win. The trick is that the the Mahûd couldn't dictate who and when they charge. However, eventually the AotD would have to charge. The Harad/Far Harad armies would outnumber the AotD and would have three attacks per Mahûd (2+ spear support) with a higher fight value. That translates to more fights going to Harad :wink: Black Numenorians are harder because they have the same FV and are cheaper so they can outnumber the Mahûd. (All this hypothetically speaking).

Mouth-of-Sauron wrote:
Sooo the camels and Half trolls are good? ei? well its good too hear /read see etc. :rofl:

I've only used the Camels once, so I'll reserve judgement on them. However, 3 attacks on the charge, +1 to wound is pretty tasty. All this coming from a high FV, high STR model.

I've changed my tune on the Half-trolls. I used think they weren't worth the points (you can get two Mahûd for the same points). However, a close inspection of their stats reveals some interesting things. They have higher FV and STR than most generic captains. In many cases they have equivalent FV and STR for some of the secondary named heroes. What does that mean? For well below half the point cost, you get a model that can out fight and out strike many minor heroes. Sounds like a Hero buster to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:52 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well the pure AoTD would ofc. lose I couldn't even imagine who would field such an army but well I use the Three hunters , GC and Dunharrow soo it might be tricky with Gimli Legolas and Aragorn up to the front line though I would very much love to play against the Mahud...

Sorry for the arrogant post I was just soo exited about the report itself... :lol: :rofl: :oops:

And you may never know in what mood are the Dice gods.... :rofl:

But also now that I think about it...

the Warriors of the Dead would wound a MAhud warriors on 3+ however a mahud woudl still need a 6 to wound if my memeory serves me correctly.... though with 3 attacks? hmm it is pretty much very possible to get a 6 with 3 attacks or a 3+ with one attack :rofl:

so wounding would be equal but about the winning fight yes it would be tricky to win with the Dead (they would have about 2 attacks with spear support in my armys)

but winning the fights wouldnt be my priority against the Mahud I would try to break the army and kill the leader first than just flailing hoplessly

but as I said It would all coem down to the dice gods... :rofl:

BTW how many points is Yr army?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mouth-of-Sauron wrote:
Well the pure AoTD would ofc. lose I couldn't even imagine who would field such an army but well I use the Three hunters , GC and Dunharrow soo it might be tricky with Gimli Legolas and Aragorn up to the front line though I would very much love to play against the Mahud...

Sorry for the arrogant post I was just soo exited about the report itself... :lol: :rofl: :oops:

No worries... I agree that with the correct alliances, the AotD is much more formidable.

and to your point, everything is hypothetical until they hit the table.

I'm very pleased with the Far Harad allies, I've played about 10 competitive games with them and lost only twice. Both times, my lack of speed was a direct contributor to me losing. I've tried to correct that deficiency in this army.

I'm headed to Phoenix, AZ in 10 days for an independent grand tournament - should be a blast.

My army is 600pts, typical for the US Grand Tournaments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I played this game against BrentS and had an absolute blast. I made the one fatal mistake and it cost me. BrentS is a very solid player here in the states and I was reasonably happy with the outcome.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Nice battle report, and I love your table!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

A brilliant read Brent, your battle reports are always entertaining. I'm glad to see that your Haradrim army is prooving difficult to beat as the one I'm working on in TO9G is similar in most aspects. The battle board is also a major success, looks so good in every pic! When can we expect a rematch? :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Brent is going to be in Phoenix over the weekend and I am not sure when but hopefully soon. I beat him in the Las Vegas GT and he beat me at his house. Brent will probably beat me at least two out of three times we play but hopefully playing tough competition can make me a better player. We also might have a chance to play in the Adepticon tournament in April in Chicago.