All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:47 am

Post subject: Cardboard Dol Guldur
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Went old school terrain making with this. I had posted this on Instagram but forgot to repost here.

Using the old Fall of the Necromancer Source book I decided to make the Dol Guldur tower they had in it. Using one evil empire (amazon box cardboard) seemed appropriate to do this. Plus I didn't have any foam board on hand.

Used cardboard and coffee stirrers for the tower.

Used the guide in the book as a guide but made the base piece a little larger to fit figures on it. Also added aluminum foil to the sides to give the cardboard some texture.

Gave it all a spray with gloss black paint.

Wanted the black aluminum foil the appearance of obsidian, dry brushed some grey on it to make it stand out more.

Didn't adjust the height of the base and door for figure height.

All in all, not too bad for using cardboard. Did have one casualty though, dropped my necromancer on the hard concrete floor of my workshop and bent his helmet points.

Post subject: Re: Cardboard Dol Guldur
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I can't say I'm a huge fan of GW's interpretation of Dol Guldur, to be honest, but it seems like you did a good job with it. I might have spackled in the corregated edges but from looking at the pictures I think it looks fine without it, and the corregation actually adds some interesting texture.

Did you have any trouble painting over the aluminum foil?

And is it a display piece, or is a scenario happening soon?
 Post subject: Re: Cardboard Dol Guldur
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I thought about filling in the edges but honestly just didn't want to spend the time doing so. The only problem with the the foil was that I used really cheap stuff and it ripped too easily. Spray paint went on fine and dry brushing was easy.

Not a display piece and I don't know if I will keep it long enough as it is taking me forever to paint the white council.