All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rognarr's WIP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You could, indeed, put a small pile of logs in that one corner.
Adding some green (or brown/dying grass) will bring it to life completely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Guys, don't worry! ;) I did never mean to cover the base in static grass.. in that case I never had bothered to give it a most realistic look already. I meant a spot here and there and of course a few tufts would be a nice addition as well. Or a shrubbery!
Click to: Show
" (dramatic chord) Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must place it here, beside this shrubbery, only slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle. ("A path! A path!") Then, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forrest... with... a herring!"

Anyway.. ;) in the meantime I've been working on Uglúk, which turned out really dark, but that's kind of what I wanted since Uruks are described as being swart. So I didn't try to paint him after the GW scheme, but took a still from the film. Unfortunately the photo doesnt really do him justice, but meh.. And don't look at the base please, it's not yet finished :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like it! Very good representation of him from the film too! :)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ahhh I looked at the base.
I think Ugluk looks great. One could even say that he is splattered with black orc blood. I think GW picked the redish color skin back in the day based on masks and concept art at the time of the films and just stuck with it going forward since it did help to break up the color of the models. I tend to use the orange/brown scheme they later introduced in WD issues.

I do like the black skin on your model and I like that you chose to break it up with the browns in the leather and the lighter hair.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Looks pretty good. I remember when I did mine that the mouth wasn't sculpted too great, too much of a hole with some awkward teeth.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for the compliments again. I faced the same problem as you Gandlaf. Sadly I am not the greatest painter when it comes to teeth anyway, but this sculpt as you said already seriously lacks some quality there, which makes it all the harder..

Sithious wrote:
Ahhh I looked at the base.

NOOOO!!!! :shock: :-D I didn't mean to say I don't like the redish scheme, but the dark one (for my taste at least) looks more natural somehow. Do you have an example of the orange/brown scheme maybe? :)

In other news, I have finished the next mini within just one day! And I am pretty pleased with it I have to admit. The sculpt is nice and was a real joy to paint. For the base I used two layers of glue as water (with a layer of paint between). For the rocks I wanted to try something "new" as well, so I gave them caustic(?) water reflections. I imagined Gollum sitting on a small rock in his dark cave with some sinister glow of a very distant light.. I also gave his skin a very very light wash of green at some places to pick up the water reflections again.
I hope you like it :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:54 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The reflections are amazing. I recognised them before I read the text. To me it gives the impression of a single shaft of light falling on gollum alone in his cave perfectly. Just like this (but better):
https://ollfilmclass.wikispaces.com/fil ... gollum.jpg

Fantastic painting!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:58 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Some very nice and original ideas here. The water works very well and is a great alternative to water effect products which would have created a thicker layer. I presume it was regular PVA you used ?
I like the green slime very much, what have you used for this ?
The painting looks nice and he has a grubby appearance. What I would like to see from you is more work on smoothing out your painting, the back could be done a bit smoother as there is a little too much of a jump from shade to highlight. A few mid tones and some work on the blending would cure this.
The photograph is slightly dark but I like the way you are going.
All in all, another lovely piece from you and a few points to work on 8)

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

abcdefg wrote:
The reflections are amazing. I recognised them before I read the text. To me it gives the impression of a single shaft of light falling on gollum alone in his cave perfectly. Just like this (but better):
https://ollfilmclass.wikispaces.com/fil ... gollum.jpg

Fantastic painting!

Haha, thanks a lot! Well, that was kind of what I aimed for. I'm glad it worked out ;)

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
Some very nice and original ideas here. The water works very well and is a great alternative to water effect products which would have created a thicker layer. I presume it was regular PVA you used ?
I like the green slime very much, what have you used for this ?
The painting looks nice and he has a grubby appearance. What I would like to see from you is more work on smoothing out your painting, the back could be done a bit smoother as there is a little too much of a jump from shade to highlight. A few mid tones and some work on the blending would cure this.
The photograph is slightly dark but I like the way you are going.
All in all, another lovely piece from you and a few points to work on 8)

As always thank you for your compliments and even more for the friendly criticism to show me, where to improve :)
The glue was 'all purpose glue', as I heard, that PVA might get cloudy after a while, which I wanted to avoid.
Actually it wasn't supposed to be green slime, but reflections from the water (or what do you mean? :) )
You are right, that I should work on the smoothness of some areas. It's a point I often only notice, when I edit the photos.. As for the back though, what you mean maybe are the scars and the spine, which I wanted to pop out a bit?
The darkness of the photo was actually intended, to give it a bit of a "cave atmosphere", I hope it's not over the top..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rognarr wrote:
NOOOO!!!! I didn't mean to say I don't like the redish scheme, but the dark one (for my taste at least) looks more natural somehow. Do you have an example of the orange/brown scheme maybe?

Absolutely, just hit my site http://www.sithious.webs.com and click on the isengard page, the Berserkers I have on there are a great example of the color. It does look better on scouts as it is less pronounced, but that is the color I use on my Uruks. I am not trying to sell it, but it is just another interpretation of the colors. The black mottled look is great but is of course harder to pull off.

Gollum looks fantastic. If he could eat that well a few times a week he would not look so scrawny, but maybe that is just his life being leached away to build Sauron's strength (my theory as to why he is suddenly more present after Bilbo starts wearing the ring as Sauron is leeching from a new sorce of vibrant life).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Golumn looks great, especially considering he's so small!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I really like the reflections, a very good piece, well done!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sithious wrote:
Absolutely, just hit my site http://www.sithious.webs.com and click on the isengard page, the Berserkers I have on there are a great example of the color. It does look better on scouts as it is less pronounced, but that is the color I use on my Uruks. I am not trying to sell it, but it is just another interpretation of the colors. The black mottled look is great but is of course harder to pull off.

Gollum looks fantastic. If he could eat that well a few times a week he would not look so scrawny, but maybe that is just his life being leached away to build Sauron's strength (my theory as to why he is suddenly more present after Bilbo starts wearing the ring as Sauron is leeching from a new sorce of vibrant life).

They do look great, I like the way this scheme allows to define the muscles! A lot of nice detail in your work. Up until the two Lurtzes I used a lighter scheme as well actually (some examples: viewtopic.php?p=333172#p333172 viewtopic.php?p=321717#p321717 viewtopic.php?p=323575#p323575 ), but I wanted a more realistic and somewhat sinister look this time (and, as said before also wanted to go with the Tolkien-canon, where Uruks are described as black-skinned). But as you mentioned it's a tough scheme and setting dark highlights makes it quite a challenge ^^
I'm glad you like Gollum - and your theory sounds quite interesting.

Many thanks to Amy and Dezartfox as well! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

He's looking very good! I especially like that defined backbone, it comes across very well as if he's been crouching forever. Base looks nice, you could maybe add some very minimal foliage to help it. Getting an authentic wet, water look is probably one of the most difficult things you can do. Nice work though!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

that can be the best painted golum i have seen so far !!! amazing work on both the model and the base, loved it!!!

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:55 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Outstanding work on Gollum!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very nice colour on Ugluk...he looks very dark and menacing now!

Gollum is also outstanding! I especially like the face, you painted the eyes extremely well :D
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ugluk is one of the best I've seen. Also trying darker tones myself. Gollum is nice too, but I cant make it out properly on my phone here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Love him! Haven't painted my version of this sculpt yet, but looking forward to it. Beautiful job.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow.. It's great to read how much you like Gollum (and Uglúk) especially considering the amount of master painters commenting here :) It means a lot to me guys, seriously!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 27  Next