All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:22 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
25 points... they strike me as being the sort of model wchi can be an absolute thorn in the side of your enemy if used properly, but if stuffed up will die without doing anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
:shock: WOW :shock: 25 points

I would take 2 at the most

with permision i would like to ask if the next topic could be the Legions of middle earth as that looked interesting?

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not bad for 25pts the rules a a bit… annoying though

Stefan :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
*gives up*
The "Get it?" is a quote... And the response is "Got it."

Well, Thror, you can be comforted that I got it at least. I just haven't got on the thread in a while.

Personally, I expect their songs make them an ideal method for checking a Ringwraith for a while. :wink:

@ Telcontar: I'd say that's a pretty accurate description of most of the units. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

OK, now that we are all, more or less, up to speed as to; what Sentenels are, what their stats are sort of like and how much they cost *sigh* could we possibly discuss how to best use them tactically? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There basically like expensive beserkers with a few upgrades :) the high courage allows them to defend against armies with ringraiths and Trolls n stuff, but apart from that they could be used for back up archers and for rallying troops

Do they have double shots like a certain elven hero?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

No, they don't have multiple shots per Turn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
hmmmmmmmm

I think that the high points and special rule make them a bit costy and hard to use

but the powers are awsome it seems so it just now depends on how u use them

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ahoy Mateys

I think that 25 points fits to them, because of the special rules. You even don't have to roll to use the songspells and an enemy can't resist them. Also, they have two wounds, a bow and lots of courage, so they look a bit like cheap Captains.

Keep to the Code

YMG :gandalf:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree with mathusala, you have to use them right. Their spells don't lend themselves to out-and-out assault... But I guess that makes sense, as they are fielded in a largely D3 army. They should mainly be used to support and protect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I reckon they will be an unstopable force with Erestor or another elf hero

The low score required to hit helps and personally today i had a battle against a high elf army, was tricky but once you get through all the bowmen they are easy to break

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So it seems that while their powers are very handy, their low defense makes them a vulnerable target, which kind of reminds me of the vunerability of Banners or Shamans. Two of their powers have a range of 12" which means you could keep them out of harms way by keeping them at a constant safe distance from Charges. I agree that by keeping them paired up with a Hero, without actually engaging them, would be a very powerful combination. But in toe to toe combat they would be at a disadvantage.

mathusala0 wrote:
with permision i would like to ask if the next topic could be the Legions of middle earth as that looked interesting?

I agree that the LoME looks interesting, but since it is not out yet (and some of us will not get it for a while) it might be better to wait until we actually have the book, read it and digest it to decide if it is worthy of a tactical discussion. :)

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I just played my first game using some sentinels. It was the Lair of the Spider Queen scenario, but I had 3 sentinels, Celeborn, Haldir and some wood elves (but no Galadriel). I felt that the sentinels were an excellent complement for the wood elves’ style of fighting.

I initially used Eldamar Madrigal to send the Spider Queen away from my forces allowing me to take out some wargs. Later I was able to use it to send the Queen toward Celeborn and his warriors. They were able to slay the Queen in 2 turns.

Here are some of my thoughts after the game. Eldamar is a bit unpredictable. Wargs and Spiders often resisted the song while the Queen succumbed twice! Having multiple sentinels allowed me to cast it multiple times on the Queen. The song allowed me to control the flow of battle to some degree. The Queen’s attempt to gang up on a small group of elves early in the game failed. Then the Queen was forced into a battle where she had very little support.

Since the sentinels have elven cloaks, they stayed in cover. This delayed a couple of charges and kept them out of combat for a little bit. This gave them an extra opportunity to cast Eldamar and shoot. However, fast moving opponents like spiders will only be delayed one turn at most.

A couple of questions did come up. 1. Can Eldamar be used to move an enemy that’s already in close combat? The GW forum indicates “no” since Command/Compel cannot.

2. Can Eldamar be used multiple times on the same target to move it multiple times? This is less clear since Commmand/Compel can be used multiple times. However, the wording for Eldamar indicates that the target cannot move any more in that movement phase. So I don’t think you can move the target multiple times.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
These spells say that the normal rules for movement apply, therefore, no you may not cast it into combat or force a model to move twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm getting FotN this weekend, but from what I have in the army builder program: "The target Evil model must pass a Courage text or make a full move under the control of the Good player, even if it has already moved"

So, if the Evil player had Priority, then a model may be forced to move twice. Later in the description, it says: "Affected models may not move further that turn." So, if Good had Priority and moved a model, the Evil player would not be able to move it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

awcho wrote:
I just played my first game using some sentinels. It was the Lair of the Spider Queen scenario, but I had 3 sentinels, Celeborn, Haldir and some wood elves (but no Galadriel). I felt that the sentinels were an excellent complement for the wood elves’ style of fighting.

I just want to point out that this is an excellent example of an "After Action Report" (for lack of a better term). Thank you awcho for posting this report and your comments about how you used the forces are very useful in terms of tactical discussion and analysis.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmm

The low defence could be solved by some wood elves standing in front mabey

but still that would leave them vunerable and costing even more with the protection :shock:

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

mathusala0 wrote:
The low defence could be solved by some wood elves standing in front mabey

I think this is the real challenge in using low Defence troops. How to use them effectively without trying to go toe-to-toe with higher Defence troops.

What sort of formation would work best? What kind of tactics would work best with these types of troops (more shooting and moving, and less "bashing")? Is this the kind of army that only works best when it has certain strategic advantages (such as woods to hide in)?

Unfortunately (as I've said before) wood elves and Sentenels are currently not in my stock of troops and I have yet to play against them, so for the most part I'm thinking more about how best to counter them in battle.

More ideas please!

Hmmm, I wonder. If man flesh is good, what does elf flesh taste like? Chicken? :lol:

Last edited by Curuní­r on Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Quote:
Hmmm, I wonder. If man flesh is good, what does elf fleash taste like? Chicken?

Ive been told from a friend of a freind of a freind, that its more like Beef!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Umm im going to be strictly vegitarian for now on

Gandalf,The Two Towers
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 44  Next