All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:49 am

Post subject: Swedish Hobby Supplier?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

When I translate Styrofoam, I get it into "Frigolit", on one site.. On another, I get "Skumplast"... Now, I suppose it's not Frigolit, but I'm not sure..

Anyhow, does anyone know a Swedish or European internet-supplier (with good prices if possible!) whom sells Balsa Wood and Styrofoam (or whatever it's called o.O), I very much would like to begin my project...

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wentzells Hobby in Stockholm has balsa wood to reasonable prices. They may have polysterene and other foam thingys, but I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wentzells... Haven't been there for years.. I used to buy scale 1:72 WW2 plastic soldiers and models there like.. a long, long time ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Alright, I found a manufacturer for Foamboard, it seems correct (two card-like surfaces with plastic-foam thingy in between).

There are several different sizes though, in thickness that is.

3mm
5mm
10mm

Which thickness would you suggest?

Also, when it comes to large things - such as mountain walls, do I use that stuff or something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Depends on what you're going to make.

Foamboard is not good to build mountains with; use insulation foam, or plaster or anything like that, but not foamboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I found a swedish hobby forum, they said something about golvfrigolit (which is supposed to be more compact, smaller bead-like-kinda-thingies, and less crumbly.)

I'm gonna check it out, it was extremely cheap aswell... o.O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nurin wrote:
I found a swedish hobby forum, they said something about golvfrigolit (which is supposed to be more compact, smaller bead-like-kinda-thingies, and less crumbly.)

I'm gonna check it out, it was extremely cheap aswell... o.O

The best foam for terrain making is extruded polystyrene. The white stuff is like beads together held by glues. Not as good.

Pink or blue (surely, Sweden is a cold country, you must have the stuff there...) foam is the best for sculpting, in my opinion. Plus it cuts cleanly (use a new blade!). The compacted beads tend to leave a big mess.

Just my .02.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Um, yeah. I forgot to translate back the translation.

"Goldfrigolit" means floor... foam-stuff. And acording to the guy who was talking about it on the other forum, it was like you said, pink colloured, less messy and very good for hobbymodelling.

I wonder if they really wrote right though, on the site for one of Sweden's larger building supplies, they wrote it cost about 30 euro per m2, can that really be correct? I mean... 1 m2 is rather huge, well enough to make a rather enormous mountainside... Oh well, we'll see when I get healthy enough to get out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nurin wrote:
Um, yeah. I forgot to translate back the translation.

"Goldfrigolit" means floor... foam-stuff. And acording to the guy who was talking about it on the other forum, it was like you said, pink colloured, less messy and very good for hobbymodelling.

I wonder if they really wrote right though, on the site for one of Sweden's larger building supplies, they wrote it cost about 30 euro per m2, can that really be correct? I mean... 1 m2 is rather huge, well enough to make a rather enormous mountainside... Oh well, we'll see when I get healthy enough to get out there.

Sounds expensive. I think I pay about $10 for a 2'x4' sheet - that's not quite a square meter - of 3/4" foam at the local Home Depot. Although I have bought my last couple of sheets as 4x8 when I had a friend's truck. So I have lots left over.

Anyway, sounds like you have the right stuff - it's insulation foam here in Canada.

Cheers,
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ooh, whoopsie.... and... woah!

I was looking at the wrong row! This stuff costs less that 5 euro per m2!

*insane cackling* I can build something HUGE with this stuff! *continues cackling for a while, then stops abruptly* Wait, I got no room for that much... uh... Bah. *facepalms* Need to figure that out first.

But now atleast I'm getting somewhere.

A question though, what to use as a bottom, as the board itself? I think I saw in my very, very old miniature terrain guide from GW a long time ago (or was it the 40K rulebook..?) that they had a plywood board, with a wooden border under, with a cross-board to support the weight. How good does this stuff glue onto plywood?

*peers around abit* I need a bigger room...

Plywood and normal wood, cheap woodworking glue and all can be bought there, then I just need balsa wood, which shouldn't be that hard to find... Then I can get foamboard for walls, unless I can cut it out from the foam-stuffs.. We'll see. I hope my buddy can come down town with his car and help me get the stuff home, carrying it all will be rather... anoying.. Through half town... *shrugs*

Thanks for all tips and stuffs! Hopefully I can get a WIP thread up by the weekend or somewhere in next week, I still just need a camera though, which my dad said we will try to fix, so I expect that to come up this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Glad I could help.

You can buy this type of pink foam in 1m CUBES! Imagine working with that as a base!

Underneath, the best thing is a type of wood board, probably 1/2" or thicker. Plywood is ok, but you would need thicker to be supportive. If you can find MDF or Rangerboard, it looks like smooth as beige paper, no grain or particles showing, this is the best for boards, in my opinion. Particle boards are ok as well, chipboards not so much.

Good luck on your project!

Links:
SWEDISH MDF Kompanie: http://www.karlit.se/SV/index.html
http://www.westfraser.com/products/panels/pan_prods.asp
http://www.lumberproducts.com/products/ ... _specs.pdf