All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank for thecomments!

Good point, I've just noticed that these pics don't show the details very well :oops:
Anyway, here are the close-ups

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

These guys look great so far! The cork makes very believable rock...I've used it on a few of my models before.
The bases are very well put together...I cannot wait to see how these guys come out! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just a quick update on the rangers. I've been quite busy recently so I didn't have much time for painting. The pic is not very good too, but I should be able to take some better one during the weekend (and hopefully they will show more progress).

As you can see, I have a quite different approach to painting. I start with the largest areas and go on to the smaller ones, leaving the faces for the end (painting them is probably the most time-consuming part and I don't want to risk ruining it by accidentally leaving traces of other paints on them).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm loving them :D

Keep up the good work. BTW I usually do the eyes very first thing just because :P

KoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice work Viruk...sigh, this reminds me I still have to paint up another 23 rangers...good lord...

In any case, fantastic job with the blending of the cloaks, they look really good. I'm not too sure about the grey robes, they don't really seem like the colour that would camaflouge with the wilderness, but these are city-themed correct?

Keep it up!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was looking for a colour that would look nice combined with browns and greens and thought that grey mights be a good choice. Still, I will add some weathering and dirt to the clothes and it should help blend it all together.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:12 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

BTW Viruk have you checked out my WIP thread yet?

KoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

At last Viruk. I was starting to worry about you :P

Seriously, great job man. One thing I don't like is pic :( The lighting and the background make things hard to see, therefore iI can't see much detail, just general colour.

Now, since you presented something I think it's time for me o step up ;)

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice update. I like the way the rangers are shaping up. I'm not the right person to comment on how color schemes fit together but I can tell the painting is excellent!

Its been a very enjoyable day for me seeing all these expert painters with new WIPs today.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Loosk Great !

Makes me sad that I havn't got any Rangers ... :cry:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for comments.

@King of Arnor - I've just left a comment in your WIP thread. Some nice stuff there!

And a quick update on the rangers.

Basically only skin areas and metallics are left + finishing the bases and they will be ready for varnishing (I use matt varnish so the gloss visible in these pics will be gone). I know that the pic is not very good, but setting everything up (background, tripod) and waiting for good natural light takes some time. I will post better pics one I'm finished with these minis.
I mentioned that the rangers are part of a big commission work so I paint 8 of them simultaneously. It takes more time and the painting is not as nice as it would be if I painted only one at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I like the colour variation in the paint scheme - the tones work well together. I especially like the base on the third one in the picture. It makes me want to paint rangers at some stage. :)

Viruk wrote:
I mentioned that the rangers are part of a big commission work so I paint 8 of them simultaneously. It takes more time and the painting is not as nice as it would be if I painted only one at a time.

You're saying that because you're doing a big project, you use the method that takes more time and produces lower result? :? I think you mean that painting 8 together takes more time than painting 1 at a time, but less time than 8 individually. And from what I can see, I can't fault the quality of the batch painting either. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The rangers look great.

You tell us these are a commission set; will you be painting some individually for yourself?

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Viruk I noticed you've tried to make some dust on cloaks. Drybrush doesn't really work here.

Try using dry pastelle, first scrap some using modeling knife that use brush to make dust traces on your models. I do it with some, and with gun barrell of 1/35 tanks. Works way better than drybrush. It's more natural

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The rangers are now finished and you can see a picture in my gallery.

@Grimhelm of Snowbourn - I try to paint a couple at a time and this unfortunately always means a slightly lower quality than focusing on one mini at a time. As for the time - it is much faster, because when I paint, I can apply a layer of a particular colour to each mini. And I often mix colours, so it would be more time-consuming if I focused on one ranger at a time.

@Dorth - not this time. It's only a commission set. But when I finish it, I will start working on my backlog - looots of goblins and dwarves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I figured out I should show some close-ups of the rangers. Here are some:

The next in line are mounted SKoDA. So far I've glued them, filled the holes with GS, prepared bases and sprayed chaos black as an undercoat. I started painting with the bases (another of my habits while painting, but since I use mainly drybrushing while painting bases, and it's really difficult not to leave traces of paint on the mini, I like to begin with it) and began working with the armour. Not much to see at this stage, but here's the picture anyway:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The rangers look really good, though I think they would be better off without the dirt effect on the tunic-it seems like these would be unlikely to get muddy. It works well on the cloaks, though.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Some of the rangers are actually kneeling, so I thought that they might get some dirt on their tunics too. Anyway, thanks for the comment :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I imagine an under-achiever's Rangers are just painted Scorched Brown so that they are entirely covered in mud. :wink:

The close-ups are nice to see, and I look forward to seeing what you do with the Swan Knights. I take it that these are part of the commission too (?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Grimhelm of Snowbourn wrote:
Swan Knights. I take it that these are part of the commission too (?)

Yes. It's a big commission set (24 rangers, 21 knights of DA, 6 mounted knights+Imrahil). Also, I think that new banner bearer, captain and men-at-arms will be added to the commission soon. I don't paint commissions often, and when I do, I usually have a lot of minis in the set. It does prevent me from focusing on my minis, but at least I earn enough to buy new paints/minis. I bought a dwarf battalion and a nice set of Vallejo paints for the money I got as a payment for my previous commission.

And here's an update on the Skoda that I'm currently working on.

I decided to add some gold instead of painting the armour only with silver. The blue cloth will need quite a few highlights, so far it's only the base colour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next