All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:00 pm

Post subject: Advice on a mainly Corsairs army
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Several years ago I started building a Corsairs army (before the Fallen Realms came out) but never got around to really doing the project. I'm not worried about "competitive" in a sense as I don't really have anyone to play. That doesn't mean I don't want it to be good with some thematic on the side, but yeah, just testing the waters. Curious what people would do with the following and/or what you would add.

Dalamyr
Captain
Bosun
24 Corsairs of Umbar (old double pack)
6 Arbalester's

I also have the Dark Marshall foot and mounted, though he doesn't appear in the Harad and Umbar list though allying is an option.

Yeah, thats it. My thought was to pick up some Half-Trolls, just because I thought it would be an interesting theme with pirates chaining these guys up and whipping them out for battle. Probably also pick up another pack of Corsairs (scour secondary markets for another 24 pack if I can) so I can convert some Corsairs into Reavers.

I honestly wanted to avoid going "all-in" to Harad if I could help it, but I'm open to suggestions of units/heros that could accompany them. I assume the Knight of Umbar would be something else to snag as well, but as usual, so many models, so little money :lol:
 Post subject: Re: Advice on a mainly Corsairs army
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

As an aside, the Gripping Beast Hirdmen box has some left hands holding weapons that are a good match, size wise, for the Corsairs right hands. You might be able to get some spares from Saga players with an aversion to left handed vikings....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Arbalesters are awesome, that has to be said. D6 againt enemy archery and then Crossbows to shoot back with makes them pretty lethal, epsecially for the cost. They will crumple in close combat, but that's why you have the rest of your army to stop them being hit by that. Park half a dozen with a Crossbow Captain (not ideal, as he's expensive, but thanks to the Warband rules they will need a hero, and a Bosun is next to useless to them) ona hill or in difficult terrain (to hold up chargers, they won't be moving themselves so it's no detriment so long as they can see) and you have a firebase that is ver shooty and requires dedicated effort to shift, rathat than just casual spare bowfire after the lines hit. I also wouldn't hesitate to fire them into combat if there's a D4/5/6 enemy hero in there. Against most heroes you'd probably lose your guy anyway, so you may as well chance it and throw some S4 shooting his way. Nice and thematic, too.

The biggest issue with Corsairs is that they pay a lot for some very dangerous offence but thoroughly mediocre defence. With that in mind, some Half Trolls to the the charge (with a wave of Reavers behind) would be ideal. Corsair Captain, 6 Half Trolls and 6 Reavers behind makes a very nice, if expensive, 1-2 punch warband. I'd also look at possibly including some Haradrim (maybe using counts-as) to get some slightly cheaper troops. Instead of Corsair Archers (a bit rubbish for the cost), sculpt some headscarves or turbans on them, paint them red/purple and use them as Haradrim archers, making use of the Poison rule and not paying for Throwing Weapons you won't use.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm converting a load of arbalesters from the plastic 24 box, and working on stuff from there
I've converted 11 so far using gripping beast crossbows, £2.50 for 25 of the little buggers.

reavers are good but oh so fragile, still a better option than normal corsairs even with shield

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks guys! I also noticed that Black Numenorian's are also present in the Harad/umbar list. I could see having a few of those running around similar to how Knights of Dol Armoth supplement their other forces. Maybe. At least in my mind lol