All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:37 am

Post subject: Lothlorien 800pts
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey y'all,

A buddy and I have picked up our LOTR forces after a year and a half hiatus! We haven't finished going through the new rules yet (we played SBG). But we're having a blast! I only have one opponent (small town all other wargamers play 40k or warmahordes) which is Isengard. But here's my lisT:

Warband 1:

Galadhrim Captain
-Armored Horse, Shield

7x Galadhrim Knights w. Shield
1x Galadhrim Knight w. Shield, Banner
4x Galadhrim Knights w. Elven Bows

Warband 2:

Galadriel

4x Galadhrim w. Elven Bow
4x Galadhrim w. Shields
4x Galadhrim w. Spears

Warband 3:

Haldir
-Armor, Elven Bow

4x Galadhrim w. Elven Bow
4x Galadhrim w. Shields
4x Galadhrim w. Spears

800 on the nose.

Thoughts? I've not been impressed with my shooting against the Uruks so I thought I might swap them for some Elves with 2h swords to add some punch!
 Post subject: Re: Lothlorien 800pts
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

consider rumil instead of haldir, dont have shooting but gain higher defence and that special rule that enemies fighting him re-roll dice scores of 6s...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That's nasty! I need to pick up the model...

I've been thinking about dropping the lady maybe. But the only way to handle that isengard troll is to command/immobilize him...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

the lady is ok even as an anti shooting bubble since its so easy to cast. ALso she is a wizard in all her due respect with more on her bock in terms of spending fate points well spent(thanks to her ring), could even be more nasty with the mirror, but alas thats further 25pts
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Several things:

-Personally, I believe you have way too many points invested in cavalry. Lose priority one or two turns and theyll swarm and eat you alive

-Two handed swords, add a nice punch, but elves SHOULD NOT worry about locking in close combat with Uruk Hai....stay away and pick your battles.

-Rumil yes, good choice. Id honestly bring Legolas. Get rid of Galadriel....unless he has several vicious heros....but still I say 100% get rid of her. All of Isengard are tough! Her special abilities leave many troops to hurt you. Legolas might shoot a few and slow their numbers. Or, dude, Thranduil! Youll still save 50 points or so I dont remember and you have two abilities.

One that helps troops near him cause terror for a turn. This can be key because lets say you have 7 galadhrim and 7 uruks next to each other.... maybe 3 of them fail a terror test and you out number them two to one, and kill 2 of em...then youre outnumbering them in that combat next turn!

Also his other ability causes models in a certain area to get knocked down.....FREE ATTACKS on prone models. Kill them lying down and wait for them when they try to get up on the offensive....and hes decent in combat and has a staff so you can do a special strike with that.

-Generally, it depends on what board you play on and how strict the rules are. If you play on a full size board with warband rules, youll have some time to cut him with bow fire....even though its tough.

If you play on a condensed board I found, its rough with the Uruk Hai because they close and murder everyone in combat hahah at least general troops not elites.

-DO NOT FORGET to shield. You can do it with your spears I believe. Shield as much as you need to. Also, I dont know if you or your friends are into proxying, but you may want to proxy some Guards of the Galadhrim court if you know their abilities.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Why dont you try this list at 800pts
You would need to buy a few more models I think but check this out

Warband 1
Thranduil(the old model version rule- if your oponent allow, use the hobbit version cause it looks prettier)
- 5 Galadhrim guards with shields
- 5 galadhrim guards with shield and spears

Warband 2
Legolas with armour
- 8 wood elves with bow(mirkwood guard)

Warband 3
Palace Guard Captain
3 Palace guards with shields and spear

Warband 4
Tauriel
6 mirkwood rangers

Warband 5
Rumil
7 wood elves with spear

798pts

Might: 14
models: 39
break on 20

Funny army getting the cheese of both with hobbit models.
Why Thranduil (old version) well might be odd but the % allow for bows on your army hit targets on 2+ (that group is lead by Legolas) so normally on each 6 that shoot you drop 1 defence 6 uruk a turn which sounds nice taking count you need 6s to hit the hard ones.
Another tricky thing is that the Palace still being the old thranduil, they do still benefit for their bump on fight value, despite that in most cases is not a concern for an elf, I bet your oponent field isen trolls, why not tie up with some Palace guards with same fight value and with a good chance to win combat since they also own elven blades not to mention the captain can get a buff up to fight 7, meaning even on heroic duels the roll of the D6 favour him greatly even fighting uruk captains that also call heroic fights
Want more shooting? Tauriel and her rangers are there for a reason, this warband dont count for shooting percentage of models you can get on the army so youre just fielding more bows for free.
And lastly this is more a fill up warband, they are just ment to shielding at most with spears while Rumil handle the bloody work, forcing your oponents to re-roll their 6s to win combat.

Ps* guards equipment are merely to fil up points

A force which you dont need cavalary to run down uruks really :P
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the work gents! The problem GGalanaur while that looks very potent is that it is no longer a Lothlorien List! It's a mirkwood list! And I'd have to buy almost all new models just to play it.

How's the Stormcaller? Is he/she still worth the investment?

How's this:

Warband 1: 213

Rumil + Elven Cloak
4x Galadhrim w. Shield
4x Galadhrim w. Spear
3x Galadhrim w. Elven Blades
1x Galadhrim w. Banner, Shield

Warband 2: 208

Haldir Defender of Helms Deep
4x Galadhrim w. Shield
4x Galadhrim w. Spear
3x Galadhrim w. Elven Blades
1x Galadhrim w. Banner, Shield

Warband 3: 180

Galadhrim Storm Caller
12x Galadhrim w. Elven Bows

Warband 4: 199

Galadhrim Captain w. Armored Horse, Shield
6x Galadhrim Knights w. Shields

Total: 800

Originally I had 10 points left so I popped the Elven Cloak on Rumil. I figure he'll be my overall army leader.

Now if the Storm Caller is not worth taking I'll drop the cloak. Upgrade the Storm Caller to a normal Captain w. Elven Blade and switch out Haldir to his normal Deadly Shot version with a bow.

Thoughts?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:32 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Stormcaller is great, very useful. If you roll a 6 on your magic roll you get your Will back...last game I spent all 3 on a channelled Natures Wrath and got them all back.

If you don't mind buying a few more models I'd replace your bows and spears with wood elves, they're cheaper, and the WE spears are more effective. Also, you could give your knights bows as well (taking fewer infantry bows)...a highly mobile bow platform is very nice to have.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would have Haldir leading the bows and the stormcaller leading the frontline infantry. Also, I don't think an elven cloak on rumil will be very useful. So drop that and change Haldir to the normal one with bow+armour, you will have 5 points to play around with. Which you can spend on extra equipment for the cavalry.

With the archers, be aware that eventually you are going to have to commit them to combat. So having the little extra armour can be useful, having said that, whafrog is right when he says that wood elves are of better value.

Also, 2 banners seems like a bit much to me. I would rather go with 1 in favour of more soldiers.

If you drop a banner, and change the bows and spears to wood elves you will have and extra 45pts to play with. That's not a lot but, you could add 2 more knights with shield and bows as well. Then with your last 3pts you can buy spears for your bows or some other piece of equipment.

Food for thought :)

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance