All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:51 pm

Post subject: First 500pt Harad: The Scorpion's Sting
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello! I just recently started playing Lotr, and chose Harad as my first army. After playing around at 250 for a little, I decided to expand and write up a 500pt list utilizing the models I had and the concepts which I like most about Harad (bows and poison). Please let me know what you think!

Warband 1
The Betrayer w/ horse
5 Serpent Riders

Warband 2
Haradrim King
6 Watchers of Kharna w/ bows
5 Serpent Guard
1 Haradrim warrior w/ banner

Warband 3
Taskmaster
6 Warriors of Kharna w/ bows

Total: 500
 Post subject: Re: First 500pt Harad: The Scorpion's Sting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:38 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This list is similar to mine (also still a beginner) so I am curious what kind of comments and suggestions will crop up.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hello fellas, hope I can be of some help (although do not take my advice as gospel!)

The main strengths of a Harad list are, as you mention, bows (and the 50% bow limit) and poison, along with lot's of undercosted troops with very good special rules.

Looking at your list, I'd recommend the following -
1) Watchers of Karna are one of the most "broken" units in the game. 2 attacks, f4, resistant to magic, poison with bow, s3+… If a bow line is what you're going for, take more of these guys if you can and use your 50% bow allocation.
2) Warriors of Karna upgrades in only worth it if you don't have more Watchers of Karna. Take watchers if you can!
3) Taskmaster might be a bit wasted in this list. His warband is a bow war band, whereas his special rule would be best supporting a combat warband within range of a hero likely to be using heroic actions (heroic strike, heroic combat, heroic move being the key ones here) He can't use the rule for his own heroic actions either.
4) Betrayer's masters of poisons is great for the Harad bow line, rerolling those 1s and 2s. Might be wasted on the 5 unit cavalry group, which will likely be separated from the other war bands in the game. Yes, you can then reroll your 1s and 2s with the lances but might be better placed elsewhere.
5) Some people might recommend that a banner at this points cost is less effective, but that really is your choice :)

Just a few musings from me, hope it helps a little!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:46 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
He can't use the rule for his own heroic actions either.

I always thought he could...but now I read the rule (Each time a taskmaster/ enemy hero...) I start to see how it could be interpreted that he cant.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the comment!

1-2) I completely agree that the Watchers are amazing, but I only have the six models, hence the substitution of the Warriors of Kharna for the remainder :/.

3) Though partially tied to the 'models I have' issue, my Taskmaster has been absolutely great in the (admittedly limited) games I've played, though my positioning of him is a bit awkward. Are you sure that he cannot utilize his own rule? The wording of the rule seems to indicate otherwise.

4) mainly put him there for deployment's sake with the assumption that I'd move him when the game proper began, but I forgot about those scenarios where deployment is wonky and warbands are split. Thanks!

5) Do you think that a horn or more models would be more effective here? I have the banner for those scenarios which grant points for having banners, but it is really expensive...