All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 3:32 pm

Post subject: Iron Guard vs Khazad Guard-your opinion/advice
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've recently was thinking about these two groups, and wondered, which do you all prefer or like.

Obviously, they are close to the same, with the Iron guard being a more offense heavy having more than 1 attack, and the Khazad being more defense heavy including the special bodyguard rule. And, they carry a two handed ax which you may like or dislike.

So what do you guys think, and what have you seen in play work out better?

Post subject: Re: Iron Guard vs Khazad Guard-your opinion/advice
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Kg are great, the ability to pass all your courage checks is awesome combined with great defence S4 and all that 3points more than a warg, truly awesome.
Ig on ther hand might have some great attack and fire power but at the price of 'zerks it best to scatter them amongst your force more than actually using them as staple.
Moral of the story is: Why choose...take 2/3 Kg, 1/3 Ig
super elite army, that said I am more partial to 2/3 kg, 1/3 dwarves with bows. very hard to beat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As you can tell, i play the dwarves a lot. But generally i find especially when playing goblins, even if you equal the dice, you win the fight. So the khazad guard are good for that.And also they are harder to kill with D7 so generally last longer. The iron guard get killed fairly easily, but i find it good that they get extra attacks.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Grungehog wrote:
Kg are great, the ability to pass all your courage checks is awesome combined with great defence S4 and all that 3points more than a warg, truly awesome.
Ig on ther hand might have some great attack and fire power but at the price of 'zerks it best to scatter them amongst your force more than actually using them as staple.
Moral of the story is: Why choose...take 2/3 Kg, 1/3 Ig
super elite army, that said I am more partial to 2/3 kg, 1/3 dwarves with bows. very hard to beat.

Thank you for your input. So youd prefer 1/3 dwarf bow to Iron Guards in an army?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm more of a fan of KG myself, I very rarely take Iron Guard as their lower defense and the penalty to moving and shooting makes their throwing weapons far less valuable. KG are tough as nails and if you do need that added killing power they can always switch to 2-handers

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Guards of the Iron variety may be more vulnerable (only in a Dwarven context can D6 be considered vulnerable! ;)), but with two attacks they will of course also lose less combats (especially with a nearby banner) - although you still don't want to lose against S4. Without spear support (in my lists at least) some guys with two attacks are very useful to really cause some damage. Great accompanying heroes in heroic combats for example, look forward to using them with a Shielbearer.
Still, they're too expensive to build an army from, so they're limited in numbers.
Khazad Guard are a good deal cheaper, so can be bought in greater numbers. Tough as a Dwarf with shield, but with more killing potential. (No option to shield though, because of which I'd field them 50/50 with shielded warriors in a warband - let the shields shield, hold off the enemy and keep 'em busy, while the Guards and heroes tear through the lines. Hopefully.) With those limitations and a reasonable pricetag, accessible in larger numbers but still no full warbands, let alone armies.

Long story short: (I like to) take both, but not too many Iron Guard and plenty of normal Warriors too in any case.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I just take iron guard the same way I use with uruk berserkers, fill holes and give a group a great killing potencial with alot of attacks, I normally keep em back 2nd line or more and engage them later while the lines are reshaping into contact with my oponent, the more attricion I get, the Iron guard start to come hand picking the stuff around while the khazad or shield dwarf type hold the line. Also remember Iron guard models have sword and axe and if you want anykind of special attack from either you can choose if im not mistaken which increase even more their potencial. Still the relation for each should be 3/4 khazad per 2 iron guard if field in since there expensive.

I´ve ran a warband with king´s champ of late, with him + the heralds + 8 khazad guards and 2 Iron guards, its nasty stuff and easily chew through ranks (although its an expensive warband)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I game with both regularly and out of the 2 I much prefer iron guard 8)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Out of the two my favourite is....both!

I know that's cheating but in the past few years I don't think I've fielded a Dwarven force without using both of them. In reality, both are ideally suited for their roles on the gaming board.

Iron Guard are great shock troops and Khazad Guard are great at near enough everything apart from shooting (and I'm sure that's only because they can't have bows!) :)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think the secret to using dwarves is making sure you have 1/2 of your models with shields, this is because you will almost always be outnumbered and whip KG are great the fact they cannot shield means if they get swamped they will likely go down.

I think aslong as you have a good amount of shields then you can use IG or KG and the difference won't be huge. I personally prefer IG though.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Or Grimhammers. Anyone know how I can use my Grimhammers? :(

(Bearing in mind you're mostly outnumbered, have 1 attack, and if you use your weapon as 2h you will most likely lose and die ;_;)

VG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

King's Champion, Iron Guards and Erebor Dwarves with shields and spears, defence 7 on your frontline against shooting(you keep the erebors on the front until you charge), 3 attacks of which 2 are strength 4 and 2 banners

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Although I don't play Dwarves, I've played against both, and I can say that although I find Iron Guard have the 'worry factor' which Khazad's lack, in my experience the Khazads always do better.
The bodyguard rule is worth more than most people think, but I think the main problem with IG is that, although D6 is strong in most armies, when you have no 'weaker' options, you target the IG with bowfire (S2 makes a difference) as its your best chance to kill something, AND has the added bonus of killing THE most expensive warriors the Dwarf player generally has, it almost seems like a no brainer to target them. The same could be said of the ubiquitous Evil S4 in combat.

As others have said a mix is probably the best way to go, but I would say Khazad's are by far the most effective, especially with the throwing weapon nerf.

OERP