All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:31 pm

Post subject: Which one do I choose?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have 4 warbands, but for budget's sake I want to choose 2 temporarily. One is going to be the Sons of Numenor White Regiment since it's basically the infantry, but what should its partner be?

1x Kingdoms of Men book (28$)

Sons of Numenor White Regiment
1x Boromir (Fellowship version)
2x Warriors of Minas Tirith (25$)
1x Gondor Commanders (40$)
1x Minas Tirith Citadel Guard (15$)
1x Minas Tirith Citadel Guard Archers (15$)
1x Guard of the Fountain Court (27$)
1x Osgiliath Veterans
Total Cost: 262$
(A few more soldiers to be added later)

Siege Equipment to be added later

Sons of Numenor Calvary
1x Faramir, Captain of Ithilien (14$)
1x Knights of Minas Tirith (30$)
1x Knights of Dol Amoroth (40$)
Total Cost: 84$

Sons of Numenor Skrimish Force
1x Cirion and Madril (20$)
1x Blackroot Archers Command (14$)
1x Rangers of Middle Earth (25$)
1x Clansmen of Lamedon (15$)
Total cost: 74$
(more to be added later)

Sons of Numenor Reserve Force
1x Prince Imarhil (28$)
1x Foot Knights of Dol Amroth Command (14$)
1x Foot Knights of Dol Amroth (27$)
1x Men-at-Arms of Dol Amroth (27$)
1x Axemen of Lossarnach (15$)
Total Cost: 111$

Post subject: Re: Which one do I choose?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:06 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Faramir cannot lead dol amroth cavalry. Heroes may only lead troops from his specific list, so in faramirs case that is Gondor/ Minas Tirith. Dol Amroth comes under fiefdoms.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Tell me your point limit and cost limit and I'll try to make 2 effective warbands with what you have listed.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Faramir cannot lead dol amroth cavalry. Heroes may only lead troops from his specific list, so in faramirs case that is Gondor/ Minas Tirith. Dol Amroth comes under fiefdoms.

Ok, so I would have to split it up then and just join them together in battle. I might move Prince Imarhil to lead the Dol Amroth Knights while Forlong the fat and the other guy that comes with him will take command of the Fiefdom Soldiers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Imladris96 wrote:
Tell me your point limit and cost limit and I'll try to make 2 effective warbands with what you have listed.

Well for my cost limit, the main infantry lead by Boromir is going to be the most expensive, so my other one will probably not be the second most expensive one, the fiefdoms. The max point value is 2500.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just 2 warbands at 2500pts, that's impossible. By warbands do you means armies?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

black1blade wrote:
Just 2 warbands at 2500pts, that's impossible. By warbands do you means armies?

No, 4 warbands. If there is a size limit on the warbands, I guess you could call them armies or battlegroups and divide them into warbands.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:21 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

"Warband" is a specific term in SBG to refer to 1 hero plus up to 12 warriors. 2500 points will make a LOT of warbands. You can field heroes with no warriors, but unless you go for an all-hero army it's not recommended.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I really recommend picking up the sourcebook before you do any buying, mate. The army building section at the front is very good at helping you to make a legal army.

You need to understand how the game works before committing cash to the models - 2500pts is a LOT of points, and could well take up a weekend. If you're moving over from WFB, or 40K (good move, by the way, if you are), our equivalent of that points value is about 750 points, with about 500 being standard for games.

Best bet is probably to start with a hero and a box set of infantry. Perhaps Boromir and a set of Warriors of Minas Tirith. You'll be surprised how lengthy and enjoyable a game this could get you. Once you get a grasp on how the army building works, add in Faramir and some knights, perhaps. Don't rush into big battles (not least because the game is much more fun in smaller scraps, where every model counts) - and by the time you start getting towards the sort of forces you're looking at in your post, I'd consider switching over to War of the Ring to make those games much smoother.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:40 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Creaky wrote:
I really recommend picking up the sourcebook before you do any buying, mate. The army building section at the front is very good at helping you to make a legal army.

You need to understand how the game works before committing cash to the models - 2500pts is a LOT of points, and could well take up a weekend. If you're moving over from WFB, or 40K (good move, by the way, if you are), our equivalent of that points value is about 750 points, with about 500 being standard for games.

Best bet is probably to start with a hero and a box set of infantry. Perhaps Boromir and a set of Warriors of Minas Tirith. You'll be surprised how lengthy and enjoyable a game this could get you. Once you get a grasp on how the army building works, add in Faramir and some knights, perhaps. Don't rush into big battles (not least because the game is much more fun in smaller scraps, where every model counts) - and by the time you start getting towards the sort of forces you're looking at in your post, I'd consider switching over to War of the Ring to make those games much smoother.

I have been a bit ambitious I suppose. I only have the Return of the King book which has rules for combat but not as much. I will get the Kingdoms of Men source book. However, my friend is fielding Mumaks of Harad, and multiple Haradrim and Isengard.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:49 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well, that is a challenge, no doubt. I hope your friend is a good sport.

The Kingdoms of Men book will explain all about warbands. Of course, this is assuming your friend is using the newer warband system. If he's using those old rules too, then it's a bit simpler: carve up your army into quarters, lead each with one major hero and pack in as many warriors as you can. The old system is very "number hungry", and if he's fielding a Mumak or two then just think of all the warriors you can field instead…! Make sure you have 1/3 bows…if the old rule are in use, then volley fire is too, and that can be useful in the beginning of the game.

Otherwise, if he's using warbands, and this is your first crack at army building, I'd skip Citadel Guard and Osgiliath vets, and I'd skip Fountain Guard unless you're willing to put shields on them (the blisters don't come with them, but they can take shields as an upgrade). A mix of WoMT with shields and spears, Rangers of Gondor with spears, and a few Fountain Guard with shield will give you all the flexibility you need for your Gondor contingent. Some knights might also be handy, unless you want to leave the cavalry to Dol Amroth. Note that per the Kingdoms of Men rules, Boromir (Fellowship version) can't lead Gondor units, so if you want Boromir it's supposed to be the White Tower version. Since 1/4 of your army (625 points) is Gondor, Boromir Captain is probably a bit expensive. Faramir might be a better bet, along with other cheap heroes like Beregond, Damrod, and Madril or Cirion. In total you'll want something like:
1/2 WoMT (half with shields, half with spears and shields)
1/3 Rangers of Gondor with spears
1/6 Fountain Guard with shields

A natural complement to this would be Fiefdoms led by Imrahil. The other fiefdoms heroes (except the ranger) are good as well. If you take Imrahil you really want to maximize his banner effect, so using non-Dol Amroth warriors (clansmen etc) is kind of a waste (IMHO, not everyone agrees :) ). Because of the banner effect you can take a bit more cavalry than with normal heroes. All these guys have higher than average fight, and if they're within 12" of Imrahil they'll get a reroll on every fight. In contrast, the fiefdoms rangers are really nerfed, they can't take spears and have terrible courage, so I'd skip them entirely. In total you'll want something like:
Up to 1/4 mounted Knights of DA
1/2 Men at arms of DA with pikes
1/4 Foot knights of DA

Maybe that will get you started...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ArnorForTheWin wrote:
I have been a bit ambitious I suppose. I only have the Return of the King book which has rules for combat but not as much. I will get the Kingdoms of Men source book. However, my friend is fielding Mumaks of Harad, and multiple Haradrim and Isengard.

Are you absolutely sure your Harad friend plays SBG? And do they have a copy of the hobbit rules, or the lord of the rings ones?

Just from a lot of your previous posts with you talking about movement trays, massive points values, it sounds a lot more like playing WotR than SBG.