All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:24 am

Post subject: 500 Starting Mordor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:22 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Some people at our gaming club (southampton sluggaz) are thinking of starting playing some LOTR games. The skirmish type, not the battle type if that makes sense. I'm torn between Isenguard (uruk-hai) or Mordor. I think I prefer the aesthetic of Mordor moor. I also like Sauron in necromancer or armored form. So I've come up with the following list:

Warband 1
Sauron The Necromancer
4 Blackguard
5 Morgul knights
2 orc trackers
total= 408

Warband 2
Castellan of Dol Guldur -w/ morgul blade

Warband 3

I have no idea if this is any good or if there are things I should change. My gut instinct (from playing other wargames) is that the necromancer costs 1/2 my points but isn't worth it. I do like the idea of an elite force but I don't know if these are viable in LOTR and even if it is, if I am doing it right! Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited by Phototoxin on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: 500 Starting Mordor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:13 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Firstly welcome to the site, hope you enjoy your stay.

Secondly, if you could edit your list to remove the points values of individual models, that'd be great. GW can get funny about it.

Onto the list, only have 14 models in 500pts for Evil is shocking. If you want to use the necromancer, spam orc warriors as troops and take generic captains to increase numbers. Personally I've never been a fan of castelleans, they don't have the staying power for me.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Firstly welcome to the site, hope you enjoy your stay.

Secondly, if you could edit your list to remove the points values of individual models, that'd be great. GW can get funny about it.

Onto the list, only have 14 models in 500pts for Evil is shocking. If you want to use the necromancer, spam orc warriors as troops and take generic captains to increase numbers. Personally I've never been a fan of castelleans, they don't have the staying power for me.

Necromancer and 6 castellans (2 of which have morgul blades) fits into 500 nicely and would be a fun list to play. That said, at 500 I would not recommend the necromancer, a named wraith would be a far more economical choice, and then as southy said spam troops.

As far as I am concerned there are two ways to make a lotr army: go for as many numbers as you can with the best troops you can, or make a list of like 5-6 power models that mop up and can safely take on 50-60 models.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This army really needs to be able to get to the action quick, and will burn out very quickly., However it does look great fun. The only way your going to find out is by playing a game. Good luck!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What do you mean by burn out? (the will point reserve or that I die to a couple of bad dice rolls?)

I'm not really sure about the flow of LOTR SBG since I only played the first edition a looooonnnng time ago.

The necromancer and 6 castellians seems cool, cheap and worth trying. If nothing else it is a starting point right? Also low model count means I can really try to get A+++ paint jobs on them rather than my usual 'army standard'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

[quote="Phototoxin"]What do you mean by burn out?

Due to the "Will of Evil"and the "Will of the Necromancer" special rules the Necromancer and the Castellans will only be able to last 12 and 25 turns in combat before they are "banished". If they have to resist enemy magicc or in the case of the Necromancer wish to use magic, they will get through might quicker than that. The Necromancer is wasted against enemy troops and is best kept for use against enemy heroes using magic to support his or his troops attacks. Some of his more offensive spells will really require the expenditure of 2 might points in critical situations if the spell is realistically going to be cast. With a very small amount of troops to surround and protect the heroes you may fin that an opponent will sit back and shoot most or all of your troops before you can even get to him, then is able to surround and destroy whats left after feed the necromancer one shielding enemy trooper at a time!

I fully understand the worth of putting in the time with every miniature to ensure a great paint job and wish to encourage you in this (though it can be a little tedious whilst putting the effort in), as it is so much more satisfying and rewarding with no niggling unfinished of swiftly painted looking models.

I still think that the list looks fun and themed, but would suggest a Mordor Troll over the Castellan's.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Either go elite heroes + cheap units or elite units + cheap heroes. Your combination usually doesn't work.

Also why the trackers? Sure 2 Orc Warriors with spear/shield would be of more use here. Or a 5th Black Guard.

And how about 12 Morgul Knights and 2 mounted Ringwraiths?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Not a fan of all knights to be honest.

Might be beating a dead horse/idea but:

All spirit themed
    The Necromancer

Castellan of Dol Guldur
    11 Spirits

-------
Some orcs:
    The Necromancer
    Castellan of Dol Guldur w/morgul blade
    Castellan of Dol Guldur w/morgul blade

Captain of the Black Guard
    4 blackguard of Barad-Dur
    4 Dol Goldur Orc w/bow
    4 orc warriors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, the thing about spectres is that they are not the best fighters, and neither is the necromancer. Every sbg army needs some some form of nullification, and then a tough fighting core to back it up, which neither of your lists have; 12 orcs, a captain, and two castellans would be cake for almost any army, and similarly the 2 castellans being backed up by sauron and the spectres would not hold their own.

If you want to field a competetive spirit army at 500, here is the best I can think of:

Named Ringwraith on horse (I would suggest the dwimmerwaik or the dark marshall, maybe even knight of umbar)
9 castellans, 2 with morgul blades

A model like the necromancer is really too big for a 500 point game, consider starting at 750, where his presence could be made ok by a bigger military backing him up.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
If you want to field a competetive spirit army at 500, here is the best I can think of:

Named Ringwraith on horse (I would suggest the dwimmerwaik or the dark marshall, maybe even knight of umbar)
9 castellans, 2 with morgul blades

A model like the necromancer is really too big for a 500 point game, consider starting at 750, where his presence could be made ok by a bigger military backing him up.

OK that sounds a bit more cool and sensible. I do like the necromancer mini, but the dark marshal also looks cool - him and some castellans would be scary looking I guess! Thanks :-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ah, a fellow Sotonian :)
Welcome to the site and good luck with your force, whichever you choose.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Unfortunatly no one at my club (southampton sluggaz) plays LOTR it seems. Also the price for castellans seems rather excessive.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I made this list for fun a while ago, basically you use a maximum of heroic channelled chill soul till your break your opponent, the regular wraith sap will or paralyze heroes who may resist the spell and the taskmaster gives you more might for the necromancer.

Warband 1 8/12
The Necromancer
3 Orc Warrior with Spear
4 Orc Warrior with Shield
1 Orc Warrior
----
Warband 2 8/12
Ringwraith (1)
8 Orc Tracker
----
Warband 3 8/12
Mordor Orc Taskmaster
4 Orc Warrior with Shield
4 Orc Warrior with Spear;

If I were you I wouldn't start LOTR SBG with this kind of list though. The Necromancer is pretty difficult to play at such low points.