All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:17 pm

Post subject: All Heroes - 700 points
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As my vacation has started, I've finally got some time to build new armies, test my armies etc. So I'd like to try an all hero army. It seems you need to fill some roles in your hero army:
a tank
a damage dealer
a spellcaster
Could anyone tell me which heroes seem best for these roles, and which roles need to be added?

Post subject: Re: All Heroes - 700 points
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Glorfindel on horse
Saruman on horse
Gandalf the Grey on horse
Eorl the young
Boromir of Gondor on horse

Sorted m8, 2 spellcasters, 1/2 free might poitns form eorl, solid fight value on glorf etc.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Glorfindel on horse
Saruman on horse
Gandalf the Grey on horse
Eorl the young
Boromir of Gondor on horse

Sorted m8, 2 spellcasters, 1/2 free might poitns form eorl, solid fight value on glorf etc.

Hmm, wouldn't it be a better idea to try and get Elrond and Lindir in?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nah, look at it this way: you already have someone who can cast a powerful damaging spell on a 4+, Saruman, which means Elrond will probably just be a glorified fighter who CAN natures wrath if you need him too (he is 180pts with all his kit isn't he?). Also natures wrath will be sorta pointless because everyone will be on horses, and thus you will be knocking fools to the floor all day anyway. Lindir will be a very weak link, you need everyone to be able to handle themselves, and 2 wounds and 1 fate is not very durable. I know Gandalf and Saruman are kinda flimsy, but with terror, 3 wounds, and 3 fate, they are much more durable than Lindir. I guess if you want him in there Elrond can work alongside Gandalf, since renew is handy, and natures wrath may have its uses to further disrupt fighting lines. Sadly Lindir will probably be little more than a target.

Also if Lindir does die, that'll be a huge part of your gameplan gone, and since your opponent will only have like 5-6 targets to choose from, Lindir will be a big hit with the archers etc.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Nah, look at it this way: you already have someone who can cast a powerful damaging spell on a 4+, Saruman, which means Elrond will probably just be a glorified fighter who CAN natures wrath if you need him too (he is 180pts with all his kit isn't he?). Also natures wrath will be sorta pointless because everyone will be on horses, and thus you will be knocking fools to the floor all day anyway. Lindir will be a very weak link, you need everyone to be able to handle themselves, and 2 wounds and 1 fate is not very durable. I know Gandalf and Saruman are kinda flimsy, but with terror, 3 wounds, and 3 fate, they are much more durable than Lindir. I guess if you want him in there Elrond can work alongside Gandalf, since renew is handy, and natures wrath may have its uses to further disrupt fighting lines. Sadly Lindir will probably be little more than a target.

Also if Lindir does die, that'll be a huge part of your gameplan gone, and since your opponent will only have like 5-6 targets to choose from, Lindir will be a big hit with the archers etc.

Okay, well I saw the nature's wrath more as an anti cavalry weapon, as most of my opponents tend to field lots of cavalry. But the two wizards're probably enough to get those horses fleeing :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Versatility is most important in these situations, with such a small force you want your guys to be able to handle anything, and fill a variety of roles.

For a damage dealer, Imrahil's pretty good. Having a lance and armoured horse makes him mobile and deadly on the charge. He'll also withstand a good deal of damage, allowing him to act tankish if necessary. Dwarves like Gimli or Dain make rather good tanks, though they're a bit slower than a cavalry hero force like SuicidalMarsBar has suggested.

Radagast should be in there. Renew is just too useful to go without, especially in an all-hero army. Alternatively, Oin is a cheap choice who can use his healing herbs to renew wounds if your force is slower-moving, like a mainly-dwarf hero force. New Balin is also useful, because he has his priority-modifying rule.

You don't have a sniper/archer, so I'd recommend Legolas (obviously) to fill that role. His Deadly shot is just too awesome to miss, and he can have a horse if you need him to have one. He can snipe banners, hornblowers and the like, or just bring down numbers.

Murin and Drar, with their two-for-one and double shot, are also a pretty good purchase in terms of versatility, if slower because they're dwarves. Haldir can be a decent hero to take in a hero army too, as he's rather versatile. Thranduil, with his limited magic ability and good sword/bow skill, is also a good versatile hero. Arathorn's good if you're on a budget, as is Halbarad. Last I checked, Beregond is also really cheap and fairly decent.

Elladan and Elrohir can be useful if you need more damage-dealers too, with their variety of fighting techniques available. Dwalin, who can use his axes or his two-handed hammer to do special strikes, and has Strength 5 naturally, is a good damage-dealer. Against orc, goblin or uruk-hai armies, Thorin with Orcrist is a good damage-dealer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Elladan and Elrohir - horse, heavy armour
Aragorn - horse, armour
Gandalf the Grey - horse
Saruman - horse
, anytime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ponies count as cavalry these days, which means, thorin with orcrist, oakenshield, and pony is a deadly tank and all for only the points value of the goblin king at that

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

While I love Murin and Drar, Arathorn, and many other models suggested by Goldman, do not field an all hero army if you are not mounting everyone on some sort of steed. Charging on cavalry literally doubles the likelihood of killing models, and adds an extra attack too. Foot heroes can get trapped and bogged down by enemy infantry all to easily. Of course if you are fielding Thorin's Company or something similar, perhaps you have a chance, but for the most part all hero infantry lists are painfully uncompetitive.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Grungehog wrote:
ponies count as cavalry these days, which means, thorin with orcrist, oakenshield, and pony is a deadly tank and all for only the points value of the goblin king at that

Do ponies realy count as cavalry?! That'd indeed turn Thorin into a deadly tank, not to mention what it'd do with for example Gloin!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All hero mounted lists are one good shoot phase from being all hero foot lists. Aragorn's horse is much easier to kill than Aragorn, even with goblin shooting.

The single most important factor in the success of a hero list is terrain. For example, imagine a battlefield with several woods and a set or two of osgiliath ruins which covers the recommended 33 to 50% of the table. Woods and ruins are not unusual terrain pieces and they completely negate the advantages of being mounted, cavalry move at 1/4 speed in difficult terrain, don't get charge bonuses and can't climb to upper levels in ruins, but models on foot defending elevated positions are very difficult to shift. If you have areas that slow, split up or bottleneck models you can bring maximum force to manageable chunks of the opposing army.

Unfortunately, even GW themselves can't seem to remember their own terrain recommendations judging by the photos from the last Doubles tournament. Those 6x4 boards had maybe 10-20% terrain coverage at best. That skews the relative competitiveness of SBG armies, favours forces that can make strong shield walls and leads to games boiling down to a dice-off in the middle of the table.

Legolas with Elven Cloak is probably the best sniper, but Ori and the King's Hunstman are pretty good if points are tight. You could use the Huntsman's profile to represent Bard until his rules are released.

Boromir (either version) is a superb tank. The Horn of Gondor allows him to win even when massively outnumbered (unless the enemy has Fury, cue Legolas to snipe Shamens) and if the courage test is passed then he can shield and roll 6 dice in the duel, hopefully scoring a 6.

The new rules for The Ring have made ringbearers useful, especially Bilbo (as he doesn't suffer the drawbacks) and Isildur (as he has the profile to make best use of The Ring's benefits).

Gwaihir and Treebeard are solid choices too. Monsters with Might. 'nuff said.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Radagast on Bunny Sleigh! Very very effective on the charge and not so easily rendered a foot-slogger. - Spell caster/healer/offensive juggernaught!
Boromir of the White Tower w Shield-Tank
Legolas-Sniper
Dwalin-Offensively Heavy
Murin & Drar

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

JamesR wrote:
Radagast on Bunny Sleigh! Very very effective on the charge and not so easily rendered a foot-slogger. - Spell caster/healer/offensive juggernaught!
Boromir of the White Tower w Shield-Tank
Legolas-Sniper
Dwalin-Offensively Heavy
Murin & Drar

Personally, I would love to play with the above list; primarily because it's partially comprised of dwarves. xP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I just need those dang bunnies! Lol a durable & fast moving healer who can take care of himself? Yes please!

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Okay, here are my 2 last questions:
1. How to beat Azog with an all hero army?
2. How to beat Fell Beasts with an all hero army?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Shoot him, one or two good rounds of shooting from legolas can take him down easily. (He is defence 5, right?)
I tend to do the same for fellbeasts as well, shoot it down then surround the Nazgul and ground him to a pulp. But I suppose a few well timed (and lucky) panic steeds could do very well.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

WhoelsebutHaldir wrote:
Shoot him, one or two good rounds of shooting from legolas can take him down easily. (He is defence 5, right?)
I tend to do the same for fellbeasts as well, shoot it down then surround the Nazgul and ground him to a pulp. But I suppose a few well timed (and lucky) panic steeds could do very well.

Hmmm, well, getting Radagast into a wood, using his unlimited LOS rule, each turn spending your free will on panic steed gets rid both of the fell beast and its master's will. What do you guys by the way think of using king elessar in an all hero force?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have always thought that 75 pts for Anduril was way overpriced so I guess he isn't worth it.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Okay, well, as I'm not really fond of using eorl(because of the time periods), I've changed SMB's list into 2 versions: 1. Elessar on armored horse, Boromr on horse, Imrahil on armored horse with lance, Saruman on horse 2. Aragorn with armor on horse, BotWT with lance&shield on horse, Radagast&Saruman on horse. So, which one is better?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:19 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'd say the second if Radagast is on his sleigh. I know this may be "contraversial" but he's better than Imrahil, more attacks, magic, a multi-wound mount that he can heal... honestly idk why you wouldn't take him in an all hero army

MiniWargaming