All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:26 pm

Post subject: 300 Harad & Umbar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is a theoretical list as I don't own a single model here, so I'd appreciate some advice before I get the wallet out!

• The Betrayer - Armoured Horse
  • 8x Venomblade Knights
  • 4x Watchers of Karna with Bows

• Castellan of Dol Guldur with Morgul Blade

The idea is having a literally terrifying force that is difficult to charge and gets to reroll 1s and 2s to wound. Behind this nightmare wall the Watchers can spend a couple of turns shooting and then join the fray with their 2 attacks.

The Betrayer buffs most of the army just be being there and can also get stuck into combat with his horse & rerolling to wound. Not to mention his magic powers if he needs to shut a hero down.

The Castellan can charge an archer line with his D7 and 12 fate rolls and also acts as a backup heavy-hitter to the Betrayer.

I could see this list struggling against swarms, it would rely entirely on their lack of courage to charge the front line. Also there's a big lack of Might so the Betrayer & Castellan would have to neutralise enemy heroes very early on.

Feedback greatly appreciated!
 Post subject: Re: 300 Harad & Umbar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Its a decent list. At 300 points you won't face much in the way of a true horde. What concerns me about this list is its heavy reliance on lucky dice rolls. Your two heroes are "will based" meaning prolonged engagements are not an option. Your re-rolls for wounds is nice, especially for weaker defenses but doesn't make a huge difference with high D

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't think that a named wraith will be of use in 300pts, how about this list, it has a very similar flavour but is perhaps more viable?:

Hasharin
6 watchers of karna
2 serpent guard

Harad Taskmaster
8 Venomblade Knights

You get a few more models in there, and a more effective hero combo than betrayer/castellan.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think that it would be a fun list to play but, a named Wraith on horse back is almost half the army! I suspect that they are likely to get swamped by any good armys, which usually do not fail to many courage tests, however the wraith should tilt the playing field. If you go ahead with this list, don't be afraid to use drain courage a lot!

What the army really lack is the ability to chew through enemy rank and file, I would suggest dropping the Castellan and the Watchers in favour of Sulladan, because I like the aggressive ambition of the army, and would seek to break the enemy as quickly as possible with heroic combats, and assault the enemies courage (Sap Courage and Harbringer rule from the Ring Wraith) to then get them to flee.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I don't think that a named wraith will be of use in 300pts, how about this list, it has a very similar flavour but is perhaps more viable?:

Hasharin
6 watchers of karna
2 serpent guard

Harad Taskmaster
8 Venomblade Knights

You get a few more models in there, and a more effective hero combo than betrayer/castellan.

If you purchase this list try and find the old Hasharin model, the newer one is a far inferior sculpt

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hmm thanks I'll look into those models. I actually have 2 of the old Hasharin already so that would make the army cheaper!

The point of the Betrayer was re-rolling 1s and 2s for most of the army, I haven't done the maths but surely that's a decent bonus? I'll try to proxy it later.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hasharin are nice heroe bane models with decent stats and can´t never be trapped so just for that makes win the day.

I like your bretrayer list although kinda far alot points for a single model for such small game.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They are excellent for tearing their way through troops as well, but beware, I have never seen them do well against fight 6 heroes. However their 1 point of might can buy you a turn of heroic strike to mitigate this!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

at 300pts its most likely to fight captains and cheap heroes like madril and damrod, all a good snack for assassins. the only buggers at toe to toe with hasharin are definetely like bilbo said with fight 6 or higher or be the cheap rohan heroes or uruk captains (do to their brutal strength to have a good chance to snap the hasharin in a turn if you let them to).