All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:32 pm

Post subject: SBG 700 points Fiefdoms infantry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Warband 1:Allied in from Gondor: Cirion(leader)
Warband 2: Captain of Dol Amroth, 4 Men at arms, 7 Men at arms with pikes,
1 man at arms with banner
Warband 3: Captain of Dol Amroth, 4 Men at arms, 7 Men at arms with pikes, 1 man at arms with banner
Warband 4: Captain of Dol Amroth, 4 Men at arms, 8 Men at arms with pikes
Warband 5: Captain of Dol Amroth, 4 Men at arms, 8 Men at arms with pikes
Then I've still got 48 points to spend. What do you tink of the list, and what should I add?

Post subject: Re: SBG 700 points Fiefdoms infantry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Swap Cirion for Duinhir, swap the Men at arms without pikes for KoDA, and spend the remaining points on blackroot vale archers
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

LordElrond wrote:
Swap Cirion for Duinhir, swap the Men at arms without pikes for KoDA, and spend the remaining points on blackroot vale archers

Blackroot valemen are Devlan Mud. While Duinhir's good, his look jusgt doesn't fit in this army IMO(this army is about looking good and logical while still being quite effective). Same goes for the KoDA, but they're worth consideration. Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Do your men at arms without pikes have any other equipmemt? Because if not just give them pikes, even if they are going to be a the front of your formarion; gives you more versatility. With the rest of the points I do think you need some archers. You right now just have a massive pike formation

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Obviously upgrade two of those captains into Forlong and Angbor!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

How do Knights of Dol Amroth not fit in an army with Captains and Men-at-Arms of Dol Amroth? (Or indeed: could you clarify what the theme is you are going for?)
Instead of a lone hero as leader and two seperate banners, I'd definitely swap a Captain for Imrahil - he makes the entire army be within range of a banner, and is better in every other aspect as well.
Other than that, some archers, cavalry or anything else to actually give some flexibility would not go amiss - how do you actually plan to use this army, seeing how the 1:2 ratio of front rank and supporting pikemen seems to imply they are to be used in a full pikeblock, which means the first line will be trapped?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Obviously upgrade two of those captains into Forlong and Angbor!!

Well, it seems I've got no other choice than to take those two in order to be effective, so I'll probably get them in the list.
Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
How do Knights of Dol Amroth not fit in an army with Captains and Men-at-Arms of Dol Amroth? (Or indeed: could you clarify what the theme is you are going for?)
Instead of a lone hero as leader and two separate banners, I'd definitely swap a Captain for Imrahil - he makes the entire army be within range of a banner, and is better in every other aspect as well.
Other than that, some archers, cavalry or anything else to actually give some flexibility would not go amiss - how do you actually plan to use this army, seeing how the 1:2 ratio of front rank and supporting pikemen seems to imply they are to be used in a full pike block, which means the first line will be trapped?

I am going for a Song of Fire and Ice army, which means, as I'd need to convert a lot, I'd like to field as few named heroes as possible .Most of our local players'll only allow the use of mass converting on unnamed models, so a different shield and helmet, maybe together with some sculpting, wouldn't be a big problem, whereas using a homemade version of Greatjon Umber as for example Forlong (both big and fat) wouldn't be allowed. About the KoDA, I don't really like the idea of having shield men in my pike formations, but if it's necessary, I'll add them, it's just I'd prefer not to. Some flexibility'd indeed be nice, but as my grey company only killed 5 models by firing their bows last tourney, I'm quite done with rangers for the moment, so it'd probably become cavalry. As for your last question, my experience with Uruk Hai phalanxes in the past tells me that, no matter how hard you try, a block won't stay a block when the table's full of terrain, and when you wanna be effective. The big block splits up in small blocks, who in turn, when having the numbers and when the enemy is spread out, will split into smaller groups.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'll second Coenus...if you don't take Imrahil you're missing out on one of the strengths of fiefdoms. That banner effect is ridiculously huge, and a shame to ignore. Heck, it's built into the cost of the MAA, its kind of like taking a Ranger army and only having 1/3rd able to shoot. Drop Cirion, put Imrahil on a horse, and upgrade a few Knights to SKoDA.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Would this work?

Warband 1: Imrahil on horse with lance, 11 Knights of Dol Amroth on horses with lances
Warband 2: Captain of Dol Amroth, 12 Men at arms of Dol amroth with pikes
Warband 3: Captain of Dol Amroth, 12 Men at arms of Dol amroth with pikes