All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:16 am

Post subject: 1000pt Lorien & Mirkwood Force
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:18 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Was wondering if I could have some feedback on this 1000pt list. It is loosing themed around the destruction of Dol Guldor with the exception of legolas (never know, he may have nipped back from Minas Tirth to help his kin :lol: )

Warband 1
Legolas w/ Armour + Elven Cloak
8 Wood Elves w/ Elf Bow

Warband 2
Rumil
10 Galadhrim (4 w/ Shield, 5 w/ Spear, 1 w/ Banner)

Warband 3
Thranduil
4 Galadhrim (4 w/ Shield)
5 Wood Elves w/ Spear

Warband 4
Celeborn w/ Heavy Armour, Shield, Elf Blade
5 Galadhrim (2 w/ Shield, 3 w/ Spear + Shield)

Warband 5
Stormcaller
5 Galadhrim (3 w/ Shield, 2 w/ Spear + Shield)

Warband 6
Galadriel
4 Galadhrim w/ Spear & Shield

1000pts
Bows: 8/ 42
Models: 48
50%: 24
25%: 12

I know the last 3 warbands arnt full but if I filled them, either Galadriel, Celeborn or the Stormcaller would be left with no warriors and didnt want to take the risk of hold ground coming up and have a vital part of the army potentially deployed away from the rest of my force with no protection.

Anyway, any comments will be appreciated.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
 Post subject: Re: 1000pt Lorien & Mirkwood Force
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

How about switched Celeborn for Haldir the 70 points you save you can beef up warbands 4,5 & 6 which more warriors? Plus Haldir gives you some extra firepower.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Not to be a contrarian lol but keep Celeborn as he is. Legolas and Thranduil are enough fire power and with your current list Celeborn is your only 'heavy hitter' as a triple attack and wound hero he is nearley indispensable.
Also I'd swap Galadriel for her Protectress form, she's 5 points cheaper has two extra attacks and war aspect is nice! Lol. And really unless you take the mirror the 'normal' Galadriel isn't really worth playing, her magic isn't that useful, especially as she is "unarmed" and has only a single attack

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A Stormcaller and Galadriel seems a bit much for a 1000-point force in terms of magic, remembering Thranduil can do a little too. I'd remove one of them, re-assign their troops to the other Warbands, and add either some Galadrim Cavalry or some Galadrim Court Guards so your force has (even more) elite elves. Make the most of your bow limit, as Elves have a good enough shoot to do a lot of damage.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You really need more numbers. Drop legolas for haldir, drop galadriel for another storm call or just a captain, if you can drop all the spear&shield galadrihm and get more sword&shield and add in spear wood elves( who can still shield in a pinch ). If you can work it get closer to your bow limit and give as many spears to your bowman as you can., otherwise they are a one trick wonder and that is not good.
Your f5 should win you the fights, when you have spear support you can feint with the front elves to reroll any ones they get, since the spear is still f5. With the storm callers and thranduil you can crush any shield wall with a careful natures wrath.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Goldman25 wrote:
A Stormcaller and Galadriel seems a bit much for a 1000-point force in terms of magic, remembering Thranduil can do a little too.

You can never have to much magic :lol: Being able to shut down those monsters is handy. Especially when they start playing 'toss the elf' :shock:

JamesR wrote:
Not to be a contrarian lol but keep Celeborn as he is. Legolas and Thranduil are enough fire power and with your current list Celeborn is your only 'heavy hitter' as a triple attack and wound hero he is nearley indispensable.

That was my reasoning behind putting him in, you have to have a decent hero like him at 1000pts or you'll struggle to kill anything big.

JamesR wrote:
Also I'd swap Galadriel for her Protectress form, she's 5 points cheaper has two extra attacks and war aspect is nice! Lol. And really unless you take the mirror the 'normal' Galadriel isn't really worth playing, her magic isn't that useful, especially as she is "unarmed" and has only a single attack

Good point, I was also contemplating putting in Saruman who can do what galadriel does and more but might need to play test the army a few times first.

Jobu wrote:
You really need more numbers. *Snip* If you can work it get closer to your bow limit and give as many spears to your bowman as you can.

I'll have a play with the points but whenever I've done that before I start with less models than before. And I like legolas for his ability to shoot out banners and such with his auto shot, especially now that banners can give VP's.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You need to hit your bow limit, you can fit 12 bows into the 36 warriors you have and elves really need those bows! Sentinels are also kinda essential. Whack one or two in your combat warbands. I agree that galadriel and celeborn should be dropped for galadriel, war aspect, and more models.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like your theme, so it's hard to suggest dropping a major hero. And a stormcaller is hard to suggest dropping as well. But it just seems short of numbers, so if theme is the most important, the stormcaller would be the one to drop since you have a decent amount of magic already. Give Rumil a full complement of Guards, max your bow limit, etc. If you have half-a-hero's points left over, consider a Sentinel.