All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:17 am

Post subject: New Erebor Army at 500pts
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Anybody come up with or seen any decent lists for the new Hobbit erebor armies?

It's one for the future, but love the Thorin model I've acquired (and the the character too) and the new Erebor sculpts. The Warriors have grown on me and grimhammers look great, although I understand concerned regarding their strength and defence stat considering the points.

I also love the Thor model! From a purely thematic point of view...

W1 - Thorin Oakenshield (orcrist and oakenshield)
6 Warriors of Erebor (shield+spears)
6 Grim Hammers

W2 - Thor, King under the Mountain
6 Warriors of Erebor (shield+spears)
6 Grim Hammers

... or even Dwalin/Thrain. All would leave room for maybe one of thorin's company to tag in...

But any ideas team one ring?

Post subject: Re: New Erebor Army at 500pts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I dunno the points value for any of the new models (haven't bought the big book, using improvised rules for all the new models except from the EfGT ones), but I'd look into Fili and Kili instead of Thror/Thrain/Dwalin. They are two mid-level heroes with some Might who pack a punch, and they bring some useful special rules if they stick together. Plus, working with Thorin gives them the always-useful Bodyguard special rule. I'd look into getting some archery into your force (maybe some Dwarf Rangers with bows), possibly led by Kili. I was under the impression that Grimhammers used 2-handed weapons, and couldn't be supported though? This is the list I suggest:

W1: Thorin (oakenshield + orcrist)
12 Grimhammers

W2: Fili
12 Erebor warriors (6 spear, 6 axe + shield)

W3: Kili
12 Dwarf Rangers (bow)

Works for 33% archery, not sure for points or army list though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:23 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

New dwarves can't lead old dwarves so bye bye to dwarf rangers led by kili.
And in the new rules, 2h weapons can indeed be supported by spears & pikes etc.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi there!

At 500 points I always have to drop the banners (that I felt really important in Durin's folk warbands if you ally with them, to take Khazad Guards). It is always remarkable that dwarves could not have really fancy things at 500 points (No magic, no monsters, no cavalry. Just one or two great heroes and really tough soldiers). This is a possible list (based on the Erebor exile commanded by Thorin and Balin as his adviser):

Army of Thror
----
Warband 1 11/12
Thorin Oakenshield with The Oakenshield;
5 Warrior of Erebor with Shield;
6 Warrior of Erebor with Spear;
----
Warband 2 11/12
Balin
----
Warband 3 10/12
Captain of Erebor 4 Warrior of Erebor with Shield;
----

498 points. 6 Might

I always left one space to put each captain with his warband supported by spear.
Pretty straight forward. You can swap Thorin for Dwalin and add a shield to your captain of Erebor. Or perhaps could swap the captain for Dwalin and some dwarves like this (because this Balin version is not a real fighter, but a supporter because its great longbeard rule):

Warband 2 11/12
Dwalin ...

Warband 3 6/12
Balin
2 Warrior of Erebor with Shield;
4 Warrior of Erebor with Spear;

Anyway, if you need bowfire (I don't recommend it if you are not playing elves or uruk-hais with crossbow), you could get cheaper bowfire support and spears from Men of Dale (swap as many dwarves with spears for them with bows).

Grimhammers are not bad, but they are pretty expensive for what you get at this points. Throwing axes are really nerfed with the Hobbit rules and the pickhammer can be useful in some specific situations (where Balin and his longbeard special rule are really useful to charge next turn you have make your enemy troops being prone by grims). Perhaps the lack of S4 could be mitigated by using grims two handed weapons, but I dont know!

I hope I could help you. I've been trying to get a good Erebor list too for that points but I always end in a similar army list. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So there's no archery at all (minus the Men of Dale) in an Erebor army list? That makes them a bit worse :shock: Maybe I'll be using my Grimhammers and Erebor Dwarves as regular dwarves and Khazad guard then ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Goldman25 wrote:
I dunno the points value for any of the new models (haven't bought the big book, using improvised rules for all the new models except from the EfGT ones), but I'd look into Fili and Kili instead of Thror/Thrain/Dwalin. They are two mid-level heroes with some Might who pack a punch, and they bring some useful special rules if they stick together. Plus, working with Thorin gives them the always-useful Bodyguard special rule. I'd look into getting some archery into your force (maybe some Dwarf Rangers with bows), possibly led by Kili. I was under the impression that Grimhammers used 2-handed weapons, and couldn't be supported though? This is the list I suggest:

W1: Thorin (oakenshield + orcrist)
12 Grimhammers

W2: Fili
12 Erebor warriors (6 spear, 6 axe + shield)

W3: Kili
12 Dwarf Rangers (bow)

Works for 33% archery, not sure for points or army list though.

Thanks for your reply matey! Unfortunately, the new Army of Thor list and Durin's Folk list aren't interchangable so the new dwarves can't lead the old ones and vice versa. The only named dwarves who can lead warbands in The Army of Thror lists are Thror, Thrain, Thorin, Balin and Dwalin... the rest of the dwarven company are independent heroes.

I think the only way to get archery in is to use warriors of Dale, which I believe can be led by Army of Thror heroes. Something to consider (nice models too!)

SouthernDunedain wrote:
New dwarves can't lead old dwarves so bye bye to dwarf rangers led by kili.
And in the new rules, 2h weapons can indeed be supported by spears & pikes etc.

Exactamundo.

Tharkan wrote:
Hi there!

At 500 points I always have to drop the banners (that I felt really important in Durin's folk warbands if you ally with them, to take Khazad Guards). It is always remarkable that dwarves could not have really fancy things at 500 points (No magic, no monsters, no cavalry. Just one or two great heroes and really tough soldiers). This is a possible list (based on the Erebor exile commanded by Thorin and Balin as his adviser):

Army of Thror
----
Warband 1 11/12
Thorin Oakenshield with The Oakenshield;
----
Warband 2 11/12
Balin
----
Warband 3 10/12
Captain of Erebor 4 Warrior of Erebor with Shield;
----

498 points. 6 Might

I always left one space to put each captain with his warband supported by spear.
Pretty straight forward. You can swap Thorin for Dwalin and add a shield to your captain of Erebor. Or perhaps could swap the captain for Dwalin and some dwarves like this (because this Balin version is not a real fighter, but a supporter because its great longbeard rule):

Warband 2 11/12
Dwalin ...

Warband 3 6/12
Balin
2 Warrior of Erebor with Shield;
4 Warrior of Erebor with Spear;

Anyway, if you need bowfire (I don't recommend it if you are not playing elves or uruk-hais with crossbow), you could get cheaper bowfire support and spears from Men of Dale (swap as many dwarves with spears for them with bows).

Grimhammers are not bad, but they are pretty expensive for what you get at this points. Throwing axes are really nerfed with the Hobbit rules and the pickhammer can be useful in some specific situations (where Balin and his longbeard special rule are really useful to charge next turn you have make your enemy troops being prone by grims). Perhaps the lack of S4 could be mitigated by using grims two handed weapons, but I dont know!

I hope I could help you. I've been trying to get a good Erebor list too for that points but I always end in a similar army list. Good luck!

Some good ideas there! With Balin being so cheap there is room for another warband which would be useful.

I can see why Grim Hammers have the profile they have in all fairness. It makes them unique compared to other dwarves of comparison (iron guard or khazad guard) By only having strength 3 and "only" defence 6, it encourages the player to use the new weapon rules and not rest on the laurels of their normal stats. Maybe not the tanks we would like considering how cool the models are, but I think it forces the player to make unique and interesting considerations when playing with them.

One consideration is obviously trying to get the charge with the throwing weapon.

A big big one in my eyes is the ability to support the two handed weapon with an erebor warrior with spear. So you're rolling two dice and am I right in saying only the Grim Hammer role gets the -1 to duel roll? So a reasonable chance of winning the fight if supported and choosing your opponents carefully.

As Tharken mentions, do you bash the enemy prone and use Balin if necessary to up the chances of getting the charge next turn?

With defence 6 and strength 3, supported by a spear, why not give piercing strike a go? If you've got a good chance of winning the fight with two dice to roll and 4+ fight value, it could make them very killy.

But importantly, in my eyes, from a game point of view it gives the players interesting options to think about beyond marching up to the enemy and fighting in lines. One of the reasons I've really really enjoyed Rohan so far...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Are Men of Dale part of the Erebor list? Because, if not (as I suspect) that means they're allies and so have their own 33% rule - unless that's different to what the army books say?

Base your list around what you know of my army, Thermo - you've played enough times to see its strengths and weaknesses. I.E. Shields make you dead hard, spear support will be a beautiful thing for you, you need shooting to compensate for your lack of mobility (especially against horsemen) and low numbers, etc.

Basically, from your first list, get some bows in there, damnit! Ally in a Dwarf Captain (or Balin, son of Fundin with Durin's Axe - you've seen that beast and it's thematic: maybe not the axe, but still...) and a few Dwarf Rangers with Dwarf Longbows.

Something like (P.S. I don't know the points of your characters):

Balin - Durin's Axe
8 Dwarf Warriors w/Shields
4 Dwarf Rangers w/Dwarf Longbows

Thorin - Stuff
10 Erebor w/Spears
2 Grimhammers

Someone else (Thror, maybe)
Half Grimmies/Erebors w/Spears
Half Erebor w/Spears

4 bows doesn't seem like much, but they're accurate and will help take out a few things here and there, the normal Warriors are for Erebor spear support and a couple of Grimhammers for their throwing axes (more useful than people give credit for) and their options of single-handed piercing strike, two-handed bash or two-handed piecring strike, with a couple of Erebor spears supporting. The last formation is kinda up to you, but I'd be tempted to say Dwarf Captain w/Shield and then have another third of Dwarf Rangers with Longbows and two thirds warriors with shields. Use the Erebor models for the Warrior profiles, no reason not to.

Lastly - don't get hung up on S3. You have multiple attacks, piercing attack options and the choice of two-handed weapons. S3 isn't bad.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just quickly (before I lose it) the below is exactly 500pts

Thorin (Orcrist+Oakenshield)
4 Grimhammers
5 Dwarves (shields+spears)
2 Dwarf (shield)

Balin
4 Grimhammers
4 Dwarves (shields+spears)
3 Dwarf (shield)

Erebor Captain (shield)
2 Grim Hammers
3 Dwarves (shields+spears)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Switch that last list to be allied Durin's Folk - same stats, but access to some bows,w hich you WILL need. Otherwise, your opponent will sit and shoot you until you break - boring, but easily done to ensure a win. dropping the shields on the spear-Dwarves will give you 9pts to spend on another model (with a piece of equipment) as well and you'll be hiding them behind grimhamers/shield-Dwarves anyhow.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
Switch that last list to be allied Durin's Folk - same stats, but access to some bows,w hich you WILL need. Otherwise, your opponent will sit and shoot you until you break - boring, but easily done to ensure a win. dropping the shields on the spear-Dwarves will give you 9pts to spend on another model (with a piece of equipment) as well and you'll be hiding them behind grimhamers/shield-Dwarves anyhow.

Well, I'll probably be keeping the shields on the spear dwarves for one of the biggest lessons I've learnt from playing your dwarves... that killing dwarves is much easier with a 6 than a 6/4+, even if they're supporting. Also bear in mind that the spears will likely form the front rank as protection for the lower defence Grim Hammers, right up until combat.

As for bows, yup, something to consider. Although when I see the Men of Dale stats and points cost (feel free to pm me someone!) I might look to back them up with these.

Something more along the lines of

4 Warriors of Erebor (shield+spears)
4 Grim Hammers
4 Warriors of Dale (bows)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

501pts

Thorin (Orcrist+Oakenshield)
4 Grimhammers
5 Warriors of Erebor (shield+spear)
2 Warriors of Erebor (shield)

Captain of Erebor (shield)
4 Grimhammers
5 Warriors of Erebor (shield+spear)
2 Warriors of Erebor (shield)

Balin
6 Warriors of Dale (bows)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Goldman25 wrote:
So there's no archery at all (minus the Men of Dale) in an Erebor army list?

You could always ally in the Grey Company...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordElrond wrote:
Goldman25 wrote:
So there's no archery at all (minus the Men of Dale) in an Erebor army list?

You could always ally in the Grey Company...

Meh ... I think I'll just sub in the nice shiny new Grimhammer models as Khazad Guard, the Erebor Dwarves as regular Dwarf Warriors, and ally in Thorin and Co. if I want to use them. That way I still get in my archery and use the awesome new guys.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

But no Spears...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordElrond wrote:
But no Spears...

I'll mock up a few with big shields, and make them Vault Wardens ... problem solved! But I think I may be borrowing this thread, so I return it to the discussion of Thermo's army list.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In larger games, once you have got your Dwalin, and Thorin in the list, Bilbo could well be worth the points, look at him as a bat swarm, but on foot, and a hero.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Bilbo could well be worth the points, look at him as a bat swarm, but on foot, and a hero.

Look at him as a Ninja...a stealthy ninja. teamed with Thorin/ Dwalin, you have yourself a mean combo.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Drop one spear and make the list legal, kiddo ;)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
Drop one spear and make the list legal, kiddo ;)

Legal for a 501 point game :P

Anyhow just bandying around ideas