All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:20 pm

Post subject: 1,500 point army help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello, I need some help for a 1,500 point army. Me and one of my friends have been planning a large Lord of the Rings game (it started at 750, but escalated into 1,500) and i'm a bit stumped as to what to take, the list below is close to every LOTR model I own. The game is supposed to be a massive score settling free for all as his Gondorians and my Mordor developed a bit of a rivalry in our store's LOTR campaign when the Forces books came out. This was my initial idea for a list:

*The Goblin King: 120
12 Goblins: 48
*Grinnah: 40
*Goblin Captain: 35

=671

*Bolg: 175
6 Hunter Orcs: 48
4 Hunter Orcs: Orc Bows: 36
2 Hunter Orcs: Two Handed Weapons: 18

=277

*Gothmog: Shield: 140
5 Morannon Orcs: Shields: 40
1 Morannon Orc: Banner: 33
5 Morannon Orcs: Shields, Spears: 45
1 Mordor Troll: 100

*Black Guard Captain: 60
12 Black Guard: 144

*Orc Shaman: 50
6 Morannon Orcs: Shields: 48
5 Morannon Orcs: Shields, Spears: 45
Mordor Troll: 100

models: 142
50%: 71
25%: 36

My plan was to use the Trolls (supported by the Banner) to engage Aragon and Boromir as he is bound to take them. The horde of Goblins will engage his cavalry and hold them up whilst dragging them down. The Black Guard/Morannon Orcs will grind whilst the Hunter Orcs flank his shield wall.

Whilst I don't know his list, I know, for some reason, I don't outnumber him, which is a bit odd. After playing a 500 point game against his humans with my Goblin Town list (5 warbands, The Goblin King, Grinnah, The Scribe, 2 Captains and 55 Goblin Warriors) I learned I cannot go toe to toe with a shieldwall even with Chittering Horde. I was thinking of dropping some models to fit in 2 Warbands with one Ringwraith and 10 Spectres for shiggles. Whilst they are alot of points, Harbinger or Evil and the Spectres movement ability seem to synergise well, which would let me walk his shield support away from where I need to break the line or to drag a Banner Bearer away from safety. I think one of the wraiths would have to be the Shadowlord as his archers tend to be frustratingly accurate.

I'd also like to try out the Hunter Orcs. Whilst I won't be able to use Azog (lack of model and lack of free time to convert one), I can make another two Hunter Orc warbands on foot, one with Narzug. 2 attacks at strength 4 looks quite mean on paper, but they are quite pricey for D4 models.

edit: I'd also like to apologise about my poor grammar, its 2am and i've had a long day :)
 Post subject: Re: 1,500 point army help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If you want to clear up some point, try putting the goblins in warbands of 18. This cuts down on your number of captains.

Last edited by DingK on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

you still haven't used all of your points. I should switsch 1 captain for the scribe.
I don't think he will outnumber you, you've got 142 models.
just try to flank him and attack, you can put two warbands of golblim for each cavelerie warband he has, heroic moves and it doesn't matter if you die, destroy his shieldwall, that's the way to win becouse after that you can put some hero's and trolls on it.

Azog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

DingK wrote:
If you want to clear up some point, try putting the goblins in warbands of 18. This cuts down on your number of captains.

I didn't think that was legal in warbands... isn't it 1 hero per 12 warriors max?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the advice. Goblin Town lists are still capped at 12 like the other Warbands sadly. I didn't include the Scribe at the time because I couldn't find my model for him, i've got him now though. I think flanking seems like the best way to go, the Black Guard have always done a sterling job of holding the centre of my line, then use the Hunter Orcs to flank.