All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:32 pm

Post subject: Re: Woses and Rohan 500pts (New list! 13/04/2013)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree with SM, since you've recognised the danger of some kind of charge of the light brigade, you shouldn't fall into the trap. Cavalry, I'm finding is INCREDIBLY USEFUL, despite some of the reviews it receives here.

Especially with some of the more subtle poetry of battlefield tactics. Remember, sometimes presenting a threat can be enough to sway and control the decisions of your opponent.

Target priority and objectives, two key parts of SBG, certainly are assisted by the extra maneouverability of cavalry and the threat of a charge cannot be ignoredby an opponent... the extra attack on the charge and the knockdown upon winning the fight can make them very destructive indeed, if used carefully.

It's about using them to control and dictate the pace and position of the fight, choosing when you want fights to happen and when you do not, trying to guarantee the odds are in your favour...

In my humble and inexperienced opinion so far!

Post subject: Re: Woses and Rohan 500pts (New list! 13/04/2013)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

To just barge in here with my first reply EVER on The One Ring, after lurking worse than Gollum at fishes...

I've signed on with my local GW's (Rotterdam, the Netherlands) Tale of X Gamers - The Hobbit event. I'd settled on making an all-mounted Rohan force. Currently my 'Heirs of Calenardhon'-list consists of:

Theoden the Young (Theoden using Eorls rules.)
4 Sons of Eorl

Theodred, Heir of Rohan
(horse, shield)
2 Rohan Royal Guard
(2 horse, 2 Throwing Spear)
4 Riders of Rohan
(2 handweapon -axe-, 2 Throwing Spear)

Eomer, Marshal of the Mark
(Horse, Shield, Throwing Spear)
5 Riders of Rohan
(4 Throwing Spear, 1 Banner)

While this list is probably terrible boring to read... it counts to round and about 550 points. The next addition to this army had to be something most opponents would dread, and another warband of horses wouldnt do the trick, so i decided on an Ent... now my problem was how to put it in there...

First a few statistics:
-Druadan Forest lies on the borders of Rohan and Gondor
-Ents roam(ed) the forests of Middle-Earth, though now they are only seen in the forest of Fangorn.
-Woses Warriors are deeply connected to nature, plants and creatures alike.

Connecting these dots, i created an allied contingent for my Rohan Army. Adding Ghan-Buri-Ghan and an Ent trickles in at just shy of 170 points. Adding 5 Woses Warriors making this Warband precisely 200 points.
200 points of shooty little buggers that cant be seen from behind some cover, have +1 to wound any evil minions and add a little variety.

I think the thing is with Woses Warriors, or for that matter any models/warband created using the Wanderers in the Wild list, are best used to strengthen an existing army.

TheBlondeRider