All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:28 am

Post subject: Re: Old OOP Metals for Captains
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

no because you have converted models and made them look like what they are supposed to be. I have plenty of converted gondor captains that I created from broken fountain guard.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Right, so conversions are ok? Sounds good to me. The problem comes with Captains that already look like the warriors they lead. I can convert a Dwarf warrior, for example, into a Captain, but will it look much different?

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Conversions are fine because you have put in the effort to change the appearance from the orginial model.

Here are a few of my converted captains

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Those are awesome! I'll try and dig some of mine out and take pics.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
PS
As muppet says, it is a kick in the teeth when someone turns up with a proxy army. I've played a gondor army which was plastic WoMT that turned out to be citadel guard and fountain court with a MoM Boromir pretending to be Boromir CotWT w/ banner. Tell me that doesnt make you just a little annoyed.

I agree with this, however, I personally would be fine with Boromir being a proxy for another Boromir.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Really? Even though the wargear is completely wrong? The guy using him forgot he had his banner. Granted it was at least the right character but still a proxy none-the-less.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The example was bad because there were two Boromir models on the table being used as different things. I don't think that should be allowed as there is too much chance for confusion.

But if someone had the MoM Boromir they could use it to represent any Boromir profile. An Elrond can represent any version of Elrond. You don't need to keep buying the same model over and over. If you can do some WYSIWYG work it's always preferable however.

Most of the older metal warriors are a slightly different pose from the plastics that followed, but not usually enough to make them stand out on just that. However, placing that metal Uruk Hai scout standing on a rock or tree and altering its weapon arm to a more "follow me!" pose would be good. But don't assume that just because the metal pose and model is a little different it will be obvious while playing.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Really? Even though the wargear is completely wrong? The guy using him forgot he had his banner. Granted it was at least the right character but still a proxy none-the-less.

Again, it's just me. I know that the war gear is wrong, but the model is the still the same character. For me proxies are fine if they are proxy for the same character, or something very close to it. I'm not picky on having the exact war gear or anything.

But yeah your other example of WoMT being proxy'd as fountain court and citadel guard I think is ludicrous.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I understand people being upset when a proxy with completely different equipment is used. But a minas tirith warrior and captain have the same equipment, other than the material it is made from and the angle of the arm, it is the same model. So what is there to convert? Putting a little extra work into the presentation of a warrior to "promote" them to captain should surely be acceptable even under the proxy rule.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've always been fine with this guy. My friend used a few of the mom models (Aragorn with a shield and two slightly converted boromirs as captains) and they're fine too

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Surely the most important thing here is to check the precise wording of the entry packs for any recent GW tournaments regarding proxy models and if there is any uncertainty, contact GW?

For what it's worth, one of the reasons I avoid 'official' tournament play like the plague is because I cannot stand being dictated to about how I enjoy my hobby and how I use my models....but then I am a grumpy old blighter :-D

As you'll see if you follow my WIP about my Elves, I don't think one single model is actually being used for what it was originally intended. Obviously you won't see me at a tourney any time soon, but you may rest assured that I and my gaming buddies who play with me, will have hours of endless fun playing and I will certainly have hours of fun painting and converting the models.

At the end of the day, it's all about how you wish to play the hobby. If you wish to do the official tourney circuit, buy the right models and play the GW game, or do 'proper' conversions where it's appropriate. If not, agree with your mates what is acceptable and what isn't and just have FUN :-D

Thank you :-)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:00 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

rumtap wrote:
I understand people being upset when a proxy with completely different equipment is used. But a minas tirith warrior and captain have the same equipment, other than the material it is made from and the angle of the arm, it is the same model. So what is there to convert? Putting a little extra work into the presentation of a warrior to "promote" them to captain should surely be acceptable even under the proxy rule.

As long as the extra work is a converion and not jjust a lazy cheeky paint jobbing attempt.