All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:21 am

Post subject: Cavalry and hurl!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi there. More of a rant than a question here.

So during our last game my opponents tree beard picked up one of my warriors of Rohan and hurled him into 3 of my riders of Rohan.

A couple of my riders survived and as the rules state were knocked prone. But then I remembered that the errata has a section on cavalry being knocked prone. It states that the riders are treated as having rolled a 1 on the thrown rider chart which in turn means they suffer a strength 3 hit.

That then proceeded to finish the poor chaps off!

So end of rant here comes the question!
How on earth do I kill tree beard?
A warrior of Rohan got lucky with a throwing spear and wounded him but how do I take him down?

Post subject: Re: Cavalry and hurl!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Monsters are now capable of massive carnage under the new rules, and as should be expected you can't just send in one low points figure at a time to stall them and expect to get a way with it!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My technique is to make sure he is not supported by other troops. If there are other troops around him, you won't be able to surround him and you are likely to be killed off. You need to swamp him, trap him, just don't allow his allies to reinforce him.

Although I've never faced any of the monsters with the new rules, it's all I could think of and is my old technique. Perhaps if I face a monster now, this will change.

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My advice would be try and get Treebeard in to a situation where he can't fully be used. In a game I played recently, my opponent was using a troll. In his eagerness to get the troll in to combat he charged him straight in to the middle of a ruin which was open on one side, and too small for him to fit through the other side. If you can force him to move Treebeard in to a difficult to manoeuvre space it will limit his abilities.

As for taking him out, you could use some sort of magic to weaken him before combat (ie transfix) and then hope for the best. Warriors with two handed weapons or other types of special strikes would prove useful I think.

As you're playing Rohan though, you can also keep darting around him with your cavalry and throw spears at him. It's cheap, dirty, and might take some time, but if you're desperate to kill him then that's one option.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bilbo wrote:
The Monsters are now capable of massive carnage under the new rules, and as should be expected you can't just send in one low points figure at a time to stall them and expect to get a way with it!

I know this, I found out the hard way! Problem is even when I surround him his fight value is so high winning a fight is real tough.

I like the idea of playing dirty, could frustrate my opponent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Heroically run away?

Or up your fight using might, and use AXES!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

As much as I dislike them this is where Heroic Strike comes in handy. Surrounding the enemy monster and calling a heroic strike is one of the best anti-monster tactics.

Also as you are Rohan make sure plenty of troops have axes so you can piercing strike

Edit: Cereal beat me to it lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I guess we both thought "wood + axe = firewood"
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Also remember that you don't actually have to fight Treebeard. Most scenarios tend to finish when one force ends up on around 25% of remaining numbers, and if your opponent is running Treebeard (and I'm assuming an elven army?) he can't really have that many troops. Just take down everything else, avoid Treebeard (not really too tricky if you're playing a Rohan army), and see how that works out.

Dirty enough for you?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yep! Nice and dirty.
I totally forgot about heroic strike, and I do have a fair few,axes!
And good point about not actually fighting him. I sometimes get so distracted that I forget all about the scenario!

Will keep those points in ,ind guys.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Should really have a weakness for the flaming munitions special rule on a siege catapult or trebuchet.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you take Gamling with banner and a handful of heroes that will buy you a lot of free might to crush the other stuff first, then consentrate on Treebeard, who you can always shoot at a distances.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Having played all mounted against both lists with monsters and all monster lists, this is where your D6 troops like Royal Guard and Sons of Eorl come in handy… as it's inevitable that you're going to have riders thrown into your other riders and those strength 3 hits can be a real killer otherwise in terms of just doggedly staying in the fight. You will spend a lot of time picking your unhorsed cavalry up off the floor, but at the very least, 5 out of 6 (statistically) will actually live to fight another day and expert rider, re-rolling any 1's with the thrown rider should keep you mostly alive if you're losing the fight and he is opting to hurl.

With this defensive aspect in mind, the rest is as Cereal and JamesR suggest. A list with treebeard will usually mean there is less of everything else. So always consider target priority… can you win the game without engaging with treebeard? If so, he will be easy enough for you to avoid with cavalry movement. Same with most monsters.

Also consider that should you need to take him down, his large base size can mean there is always the chance to mob him and get as many attacks as possible. The more dice you roll, the more chance you have of beating his 3. Piercing strike will be very handy for chopping into his high defence and heroic strike from a hero gives you the chance to have the higher fight value.

Once mobbed, try and out might him by using more than one hero, even if it's a cheap one like Eowyn. The combination of all those dice and heroic striking in every combat should have his might down quite quickly, as he counters your strikes and uses might to win fights, and then he will become much easier to kill if you can mob him in combination with heroic strike.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sorry James but the rider is AUTOMATICALLY thrown so no thrown rider test. You are treated as if you rolled a one.
FAQ cleared this one up
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks thermo, some good points there as usual.
Ill keep these tips in mind and let you know how I get on the next time I face him!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

cereal_theif wrote:
Sorry James but the rider is AUTOMATICALLY thrown so no thrown rider test. You are treated as if you rolled a one.
FAQ cleared this one up

Automatically thrown and knocked to the ground yes? Still needs to roll to see if damage is taken on fall? In which case can reroll the one with expert rider?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm assuming you've taken my post to mean "not unhorsed" but what I mean is unhorsed, knocked to the ground but rerolling if you roll a 1 having been automatically thrown. Regardless, the horse is lost but my point being that d6 protects better against a str3 hit from something being thrown into you (the rider that is!)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ah just checked the FAQ for exact wording (excuse triple post, on phone!) So am I right in saying a cavalry model hurled into doesn't just take the strength 3 hit from being hit by the hurled model but an additional hit for being "knocked flying"? Effectively two hits if hurled into?

And an additional question. As it counts as having "rolled" a knocked flying result, but expert rider allows to reroll on thrown rider table, can an expert rider (although will be automatically knocked prone regardless) still roll to avoid the 1 and the "knocked flying" hit?

Thanks for insight!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Firstly yes we are now on the same page. The rider takes a double hit. S3 from being smacked and S3 from being unhorsed.

In my reading, no you cannot reroll because you never rolled.
So regardless of expert rider if a hurl hits a horseman then the rider will roll 2 dice at S3 to see if he is wounded.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent! Thanks for that Owen :)

@stormcrow - with the expert rider part of my comment aside, shows how important defence 6 will be when being hurled into! Changing 2d6 needing a single 5 to needing a single 6 is much better!