All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:28 pm

Post subject: Dain's Last Stand game event - Dover, NH, USA
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

We're getting a big game together at our LGS, Elite Hobbies, on 18 June. We're going to be playing Dain's Last Stand which has about 2500 points per side. We will have at least 2-3 core players on each side and are opening the invite to others that might just swing by and want to control a Formation for a turn or two.

I don't think anyone here lives in the New Hampshire ( it's like old Hampshire, but New :? ), USA area but if you are then you are welcome and invited. Details are on our club forum ( http://www.seacoastgamers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1654 ). I'll get pics and will link to a BR when I get it written up.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Re: Dain's Last Stand game event - Dover, NH, USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sounds pretty cool, im trying to put togehther my own dains last stand scenario in the battle reports section, could you post some details on how you're going about doing it? Im talking about sbg but i get the feeling you are not, tips would be useful anyway on whether or not you are using reinforcements etc. :D
 Post subject: Re: Dain's Last Stand game event - Dover, NH, USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Greetings.

This is in fact for WotR. We’ve played SBG games pretty large ( over 1500pts ) and I absolutely love SBG from 150 points to 1500 points, but I have to admit that at the largest scales the minute details of skirmish level play make for a very long day of measuring. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. One nice thing about the WotR “historical” scenarios in the rule book is that the lists suggested do a good job by default of curbing many of the play issues that you see complained about. Not all of them, but many.

The scenario for Dain’s Last Stand is a nice example of such. Magic is very limited with this scenario and you can get down to large scale combat formations, as the game should be (IMNSHO). 8) Basically Good gets 2500 points of Dwarves, with a very limited set of Epic options and no allies. They have a large deployment zone and a couple fortified defensible positions in it. They also get some bonuses when within a short distance of the gates of Lonely Mountain to represent their last ditch efforts to hold out. Evil has 2000points of Fallen Realms (again with some Epic limits), and 1000 points of allies from either Mordor or Misty Mountains (no epics or legendaries).

Several of us have been collecting Fallen Realms but not really built much of a significant force to date, so we’re combining a bit. For my part I’m contributing a Mumuk and I have a fair mobile force of Harad Raiders and Serpent Riders (about 12 or so Companies in total). I also have a few Harad infantry companies (Guard, Watchers, Harad Warriors, etc.). Another player is pitching in a second Mumuk, some Harad infantry, Khandish chariots and cavalry, and some Easterlings. We are expecting another player to have more Easterlings and probably a third Mumuk. I’m contributing most of the Mordor list to include mostly Orcs, Uruk Hai, Morannon and Warg Riders.

The scenario asks for a 6x8 table, but we’ll be playing on a 4x8. As such we’ll be using reinforcement rules. Probably 1/3 of each side will start in reserve. The goal is to have more companies within a close range of the Gates at the end of the game than the other side. This is not going to be easy for Evil to dislodge the Dwarf ticks considering terrain, fortified locations and their overall toughness. Even if we have 2 or 3 Mumuks they’re not going to be able to just thump their way through very easily (and really are being included because we’re just a bit short on Fallen Realms core troops still).

In Tolkien’s history, the Dwarves were coming to the aid of the Lakemen and so if I designed the scenario I would have allowed Rohan infantry to represent the Lakemen, with perhaps one Rohan Epic (Erkenbrand or Theodred ) as a proxy for the king of the Men. On the Evil side, I would prefer to have a large host of Easterling infantry, supported by hordes of Orcs, as this seems to be what Sauron sent both here and south to Lothlorien, but it doesn’t seem most of our local group have built up much of a WotR Easterling force yet. So Harad is filling in a lot more.

Did this answer your questions?

http://TacticsInMiniature.com