All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:20 am

Post subject: Hello I'm a newbie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all.

I started collecting LOTR models quite a few years ago but I've only recently picked up the hobby again.

I found this site and it really inspired me to get painting again! I've still not got back into the gaming yet as I played against quite a skilled player before so I got it into my head that I was rubbish. I'm also a bit anal and only want to play with painted models and I've not finished some of them yet.

Inspired by some of the articles on here I've begun making some scenery and terrain so when I've finished the bits I'm doing I'm gonna get the husband to give me a match. Here's hoping I win! ;-)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hello :) What army do you use?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Greetings and welcome to the One Ring. :)

There are quite a few members on here who have either left and then returned to the site or have played other systems for a while before returning to LOTR. This ebb and flow of members keeps the place interesting.

We pride ourselves on being a very friendly site so don't hesitate to ask questions.

The article library is certainly very useful for inspiration (and instruction) and we look forward to seeing anything you manage to produce. You can use your gallery to post pictures of any figures you paint or terrain you create.

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

I've got a bit of a mish mash of models actually. Off the top of my head I've got:

The Fellowship
Theoden
Eomer
Gamling
12 Riders of Rohan
24 Warriors of Rohan

8 Warg Riders
Sharku

Many Moria Goblins!
Cave Troll
Durburz
Goblin Drummers
Goblin Captains

20 Uruks

Think that's it. Oh and some Warriors of the Last Alliance I think. Probably got a few more bits and bobs that I've forgotten about. I somehow seemed to accumulate a lot of Moria stuff so I'm thinking about branching out and getting some of the Dwarf armies.

Things have changed a bit since I was last doing the hobby I know there was a Shadow and Flame supplement but that seems to have disappeared. Has this changed to Khazad-Dum?

The WoTR stuff is all new to me too. How does that differ to SBG? I got the feeling it was just bigger but does it have a different set of rules/feel to it?

I put a couple of pics up in my gallery. Would be great to see what people thought. I really want to improve my painting skills!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'll tell you what I know regarding the new-ish rules and supplements, but I'm positive someone else will be able to later answer your questions much more efficiently.

Khazad-Dum is indeed the ''replacement'' supplement for Shadow and Flame. I'm not sure exactly how long ago you were active in the hobby, but there was an expansion to the core rules called Legions of Middle-earth, which is necessary for balanced army creation. Since that expansion was released, many further sourcebooks, such as Khazad Dum, were released, to specify the models available to a region and provide further official stats. I found a review of the Khazad sourcebook on YouTube, but the guy reviewing it is rather dreary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pg7k24gbEE

War of the Ring is an entirely different game that shares the same miniature range as The Strategy Battle Game. I have never played it. It is specially customized for playing out large, quick, "epic" battles with your miniatures. I've heard both good and bad things about it, but as far as it affects the LotR range, it is good in the fact that GW is still consistently putting out miniatures for Lord of the Rings, but bad in the fact that GW support for SBG has now dwindled to White Dwarf articles.

BTW, I like the pics in your gallery, very nice Pippin :)