All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:14 am

Post subject: Painting Harad Using Quickshade...HELP!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAMES-WORKSHOP- ... true&rt=nc

So, I won this great army on Ebay. I think that it went for a ridiculous price. 118 painted figures, including some Capt's and Characters, all nicely shipped in a GW hard shell case with complete foam inserts. All for $100 bucks!!
I also won the Isengard army from the same guy, but missed out on the Gondor Army because I was out at the end of the auction and got sniped.

Anyway, the army is very nicely block painted in the standard GW color scheme for Harad. If you look at the faces they are a pale flesh with "crazy" eyes. There is no shading or highlighting.

I need to improve the paint jobs. I've got all 3 shades of Quickshade, which I will be using for the first time. I can use some advice for the many talented painters here.
1) Should I repaint the flesh areas entirely or will the QS cover the eyes?
What color should I use for Harad flesh? A single coat is all I am looking to do here. I'm not trying to win Golden Demons, just looking to put something presentable on the table. If possible use the old GW color names. Thank goodness I have pots of the old stuff! I'm guessing that I need to paint the eyes out.

2)What shade of QS is compatible with the purple/red color scheme?
What's the best method of applying the QS. I watched a video of a guy who dipped the figures in the QS and the attached it to a drill and he proceeded to spin the figures like a drill bit. The result was astounding!
I would not hesitate to try that if I had the proper attachment to hold the figure securely.

I think that with a bit of effort, I can this into a very presentable army.

3) Any advice is most welcome. The best painters on the 'net reside here.
Thanks in advance.
 Post subject: Re: Pinting Harad Using Quickshade...HELP!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

From my (brief) experience with it, I'd say repaint the eyes first. It's not a miracle cure for unfortunate painting decisions.

And I wouldn't worry overmuch about the specific shade - if in any doubt go for the mid range one. I can't recall what I used, but I used it on Roman infantry of metal, flesh, white and red, and it had a nice effect. I can't imagine it'll make the models look worse than before, honestly.

I brushed my quickshade onto the models, treating it like a gloopy wash, basically - given the right spot for the dipping technique I'd be tempted to try that, though. This stuff stinks and is damn near impossible to remove cleanly if you make a mess (such as accidentally upending the pot onto a dining table - that was an expensive mistake to put right).
 Post subject: Re: Pinting Harad Using Quickshade...HELP!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Second on brushing. Treat the quickshade like a gw wash. Use the light or midtone. I've actually come to really enjoy the look of the light tone as a pseudo flesh wash.
 Post subject: Re: Painting Harad Using Quickshade...HELP!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would brush vs dip. When I dipped a figure horse, it came out too heavy and hard to get off, shaking for me didn't work. Also as Creaky said, it makes a mess unless you have lots of room. My wife always makes me open a window when I use it as it does stink. I have found the drip bottles (6oz, 18ml) do not stink and work well for doing a quick wash.