All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:12 pm

Post subject: Groblog base
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi.
Being still pretty new to all the painting and modelling stuff I'm wondering if you guys might be able to help me. I've painted up my groblog on his chunk of rock (you don't need to see pictures you can just take my word that its not good quality, but enough for me to game with), and all i need to do now is stick him onto the standard 25mm base. My problem is that the bottom of his rock he climbs on is not quite flat, so when i tried to glue it down on the base there is only a small edge actually in contact. Is there anything i could do to help it stick solidly, and also to avoid leaving big gaps between the base and the rock.
I could file it flat, would leave me with a bit of tidying up of the edges but if that is the best option fair enough, i just want to be sure there isn't something else nice and simple that I'm just not aware of!
And yes i realise now i probably should have done this before painting so i wouldn't be worried about taking paint off it, but like i said I'm new and learning things like that!
 Post subject: Re: Groblog base
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

either file the base flat, cut of the offending piece of flash or if all else fails, add some greenstuff and fill the gaps?

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Filing the bottom of the pillar piece is probably easiest, unless it's a relatively small and conspicuous bit of flash that's throwing him off in which case a hobby knife could probably take care of the problem just as easily.

Since it's a large, flat part of the model which will be in direct contact with the top of the base I don't think you need to worry too much about the paint job - the damage will be pretty minimal and may only require minor touch-ups to the base after you've reassembled him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks very much. Its not a piece of flash its that the whole bottom of the rock bit is kind of domed so only the edges touch the base, and not evenly all the way round.
You're probably right that filing some of the edges is easiest, the only worrying bit is the side with a skull on but i should be able to avoid that.
Thanks for the suggestions, at least I'm more comfortable that I'm not just missing something obvious!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Aha! If it is in fact the whole bottom of the pillar piece that is "domed", then I would not file an edge to make it even, but instead find as wide a file as you can and file the domed base flat. If possible, file the bottom part (the surface that should be in contact with the round base) flat. That way, you can avoid losing detail on the sculpted parts of the model, and you'll get it to sit the way it's intended to.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Another option as mentioned earlier is to apply a small amount of greenstuff between the rock and the base. This would likely be the easiest and fastest way of attaching the model level and you can just do some work on any visible parts of the join.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com