All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:52 pm

Post subject: How to wash?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Heya,

I am trying to paint the Goblin King, and i'm having a hard time (it's the first larger model i am painting). I paint him first with Rakarth Flesh, and i like the color. Then i wash him with Reikland Fleshshade. After this, he just looks. weird. Maybe i am washing the wrong way. It's like he gets a weird color + you can easily see the wash.

So i'm looking on some pointers here on how to approach painting larger models. When painting the small goblins (i paint them green), i just paint, wash with earthshade and it looks fine.

Maybe it is due to the mass amount of visible skin on the goblin king, or something. Really don't know, but i can't get the look i want. After i wash i get the shading it offers, but it still messes up the color on every other part of the skin, like the stomach, arms etc.

So please, any advice here would be great! How do i go about painting my king? :)

Thanks on advance, this forum has been of great help to me.
 Post subject: Re: How to wash?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I tend to dilute my washes quite a bit, try adding a few drops of water to the wash? If the first application isn't satisfying, wait for it to dry and apply a second or third?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well I'm no expert but you can either water down a little bit your wash in which case you will not have a deep shade but it won't mess to much with your highlighted areas or you can use the shade and then restore the highlights to your liking and always remember that it doesn't have to look like it's painted by a professional it just has to be ok with your likings
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

His muscles are so big that the model has large flat areas, which do not usually work well for washing. You could try just to shade the deeper parts of the model with the wash, that is, paint the wash carefully in the recesses instead of over the whole model.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Post a pic so we can see.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks a lot for your answers guys! I believe that what Valpas said sounds like the problem. I didn't know that large flat areas were bad for washing (come to think of it, it makes sense) :)

I think i will strip him down, paint him up and only wash the places that requires shading. I thank you again! Maybe i'll post a pic when i'm done :P